Miu Audio MR2 Pro IEM
May 10, 2014 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DigitalFreak

镇老鹰
Hi guys, there isn't much on the net involving this IEM and the manufacturer so I decided to start a thread devoted to it.

Unboxing Video

I don't know much about Miu Audio with the exception of them being a small Chinese company. I only found out about them through word of mouth from Bowei of Panda Tech Review. According to Bowei they're one of the more known Chinese companies in the West but they're news to me. If you follow the link you'll see that they seem to be involved in a little of everything. Products, past and present, include vacuum tube amplifiers, loudspeakers, CD players and desktop integrated amplifier. I have a couple of their amps on hand and plan to review them in the near future for my YouTube channel and audio360. Anyways, the MR2 Pro, to my knowledge, is the only IEM they currently provide to the market. The specs of the IEM are as follows:

Driver: Dynamic 9mm
Input Impedance: 32 ohms
Max Input: 800 mW
Freq Range: 25-20kHz
Cable Length: 1 Meter OFC cable
Plug: 3.5 mm right angle gold-plated

I've had these in my ears for maybe a couple of hours thus far. I'm not to crazy about the build quality but considering they're a sub 50 USD entry level IEM I have seen far worse. I have a personal pet peeve concerning manufacturers choosing to not use sliding neck cinches, I think all IEM's should have some sort of neck cinch, so the MR2 Pro got a few marks taken off for that. That being said, I was able to pop the MR2 Pro into my ears straight out of the box and kick back to my music within 30 seconds of unboxing them. Until these IEM's came along all my other IEM's I would spend a good 30 mins to an hour trying different sized tips to get the best fit. In extreme cases with some of my past gear I even had to experiment off and on for days with other tips I had laying around to finally find a proper fit. These are the only IEM's I have that, to date, I was able to yank out of the box and attain a proper seal within seconds. Although the supplied tips seem a little on the thin side they do their job surprisingly well and overall fit is excellent and quite comfortable. The IEMs bore juts out of the housing at a slight angle which made the fit, for my ears, quite comfortable and easy to insert. Another pet peeve I have with IEM's involves driver flex and the MR2 Pro unfortunately exhibits driver flex. If I'm careful when inserting them its not to much of a problem but if I grab them and just quickly jam them in I'm hearing quite a lot of driver flex.

The sonics, although it's nothing to write home about, is generally pretty nice. If given the choice I'd choose the MR2 Pro over most of the sub 50 dollar IEM's I see on the shelves in the big box stores. The signature can be characterized as a mellow, warm, fluid with a slight bass emphasis. The sound stage is very much in your head and quite intimate. Even so, separation seems acceptably good for a sub 50 dollar IEM so I'm really not complaining. Now the highs are interesting in that they're on the smooth side with gradual roll off in the upper registers. Unlike a lot of other IEMs in this price tier this IEM seems to exhibit some good control and avoids unwanted spikes thereby avoiding any irritating harshness and stridency. Don't quote me on the following, I need to throw more music at these things to be certain, but I'm guessing there might be a small dip in the upper mids. I'm also guessing the MR2 Pro may have intentionally been tuned this way so as to avoid any aggravating sibilance issues. The mids still seem to exhibit decent detail retrieval and although I'm noticing some note blurring here and there its actually not half bad. The bass seems to have a bit of a bloom to it and sounds full bodied. Id say its a decent enough sounding full bodied bass with a very slight mid bass hump. Its not the hardest hitting bass I've ever heard but on the good side its not invading the lower mids when the song demands some low end thumping.

Overall, I'd say its a decent enough sub 50 dollar IEM which warrants some discussion. At the very least its good enough to merit being used as a go to workout IEM or a good knock around for when you're working in the backyard or doing some housework. I'm going to put some more time on these IEM's and see where it leads me. Until I get my final review video up i open the thread up to further discussion and questions. There does seem to be a small amount of keystrokes on head-fi devoted to the MR2 Pro so I'm interested to read peoples impressions/experience with these.

May 10, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 11
A whole day of this thread up and not even one person took the time to add their thoughts or even ask something about the sound? I'm shocked, there's usually tons of people around here asking about entry level gear?!?!?!?!?!

May 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 11
Haha, I actually had one a couple years back. I thought it was pretty decent, but unlike you had fit issues (but I have fit issues with pretty much all iems) so couldn't really evaluate them properly.

May 17, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Yeah yeah... I really ought to give that a try one of these days... but what in the world would I do with a piece of gear that I can't mod?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back