1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Mitchell & Johnson - Electrostatz, 2 way hybrid, Headphones Appreciation and Impressions Thread!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by barondla, Dec 5, 2016.
First

Back
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next

Last
  1. barondla
    @ehjie you will get it fixed. It is an excellent review. Looking forward to seeing it with all the pictures.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    ehjie likes this.
  2. ehjie
    Thanks @RockStar2005 . I'll read some on the MJ2s since I haven't heard this pair...

RockStar2005 likes this.
  3. RockStar2005
    Cool. YW!

I haven't listened to them either, but they are def at the top of my list for $300-$500 headphones. I currently have the Meze 99 Classics and LOVE them above all else that I've tried/owned, even AKG.

ehjie likes this.
  4. Kdraper
    Does the MJ2 have any clones?

5. ehjie
    @RockStar2005 , I trust this site and the reviewer, @marcusd - https://headfonics.com/2017/02/the-mj2-by-mitchell-johnson/ . Per his review, I'll quote him "The secret sauce so to speak and the kind of treble that I do wish could be replicated across other driver technology. It’s not bright, fairly neutral actually, but is so very well extended, articulate and with a finely balanced attack and decay that makes it fantastic listening experience. It is a taste of what a full blown electrostatic experience can offer over and above dynamic and planar technology." - I experience this using the JP1s...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    RockStar2005, barondla and marcusd like this.
  6. RockStar2005
    Yeah I've seen that review also this earphonia one. Both are great reviews of the MJ2! That's interesting that you felt that way about the JP1s.

I'm extremely happy with my Meze 99 Classics, but if I was to upgrade tomorrow, I'd def look at the MJ2s for sure! I don't know for sure if they would actually sound better, as the 99 Cs are QUITE formidable, but it sounds like they most certainly have mass potential! And they look really nice as well.

ehjie and barondla like this.
  7. barondla
    A question for @ehjie. Do the JP1 use the clear dome or black fiber dynamic drivers?
    Thanks.

ehjie likes this.
  8. ehjie
    [​IMG]
    @barondla , I hope the photo attached properly. According to Bob of Essence these are the hybrid drivers. They seem to be the clear dome variety.

barondla likes this.
  9. ehjie
    I believe you are extremely happy with your 99s. A friend from Moscow have these pair as well. We share the same music genre and we both love Liz Frazer's voice...

RockStar2005 likes this.
  10. ehjie
    @barondla , a reader can right click on the IMG and open image in new tab. That's about it. :smile_phones: Maybe next time, I'll get it right...

barondla likes this.
  11. barondla
    The above pics of the hybrid module did attach.

There are two different hybrid modules! The GL2 has the clear dome bass driver pictured above. The MJ2 has a totally different bass driver shaped like a tiny woofer with a very large dome center cap. This driver is dark gray and opaque. I posted pics of both drivers earlier in this thread. Can't repost them using this tablet. The only sure way to tell which module the JP1 use is to look thru the earpad mesh. A shiny clear dome would show up easily. The dark gray cone fibre one would barely show up.

Besides 2 different bass drivers, there must be different crossover tunings. The GL2, MJ1, MJ2, and JP1 all have different sound signatures according to the reviews. Not taking my MJ2 apart to see the components used for crossover and tuning. The MJ2 are too precious to risk damage.

ehjie likes this.
  12. RockStar2005
    That's awesome! Glad to hear your friend also has these and loves them.

barondla and ehjie like this.
  13. ehjie
    I'd agree to all of the above, esp. the the precious part. I will try to peek through it...

barondla likes this.
  14. Stevenpi1992
    Hi guys, just discovered M&J from a different thread. I read through some reviews and decided the MJ1 or MJ2 would be a good fit for me. Is there a huge difference between the two? I listen to most genres of music, but mostly listen to rock (grunge, alternative, punk).

RockStar2005 likes this.
  15. barondla
    Welcome to the M&J thread. Here's the only review I've seen comparing the MJ1 and MJ2: http://www.headfonia.com/review-mitchell-johnson-mj2-fulcrum/.

One huge difference between the two is that the MJ2 has a detachable cable running to both earcups. Making it very easy to run in balanced mode. Just requires an optional balanced cable (by 3rd party or diy) and a balanced source. Run mine balanced all the time.

Curious to know what thread started you on the Mitchell & Johnson path? See you have Monk+. Have a few of those myself. Great little earbud.

RockStar2005 likes this.
First

Back
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next

Last