1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Mitchell & Johnson - Electrostatz, 2 way hybrid, Headphones Appreciation and Impressions Thread!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by barondla, Dec 5, 2016.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last
  1. barondla
    Ordered the Big Blue Bluetooth amp on sale. Not interested in the Bluetooth aspect. It is also a dac (up to 32/384) and portable amplifier. Not really expecting it to compare to the PonoPlayer, but it should be a huge upgrade for the computer. Can't wait to give it a listen with the M&J. Probably use the GL2SE 1st since the MJ2 are set up with balanced cables.

2. RockStar2005
    It sounds like it is IN the ear cup/driver itself. I think they're battery-powered. Or else USB-powered.

barondla likes this.
  3. barondla
    If battery powered, I would tend to lose interest. Unless the performance is spectacular. Hate having to always worry about charging headphones. Used to leave the Xbox rechargeable controlers plugged in all the time.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  4. RockStar2005
    Yeah but I mean, how often do you have to charge it? I think they said it goes like 12 hours on a single charge? Maybe more. For me that could be like a week of listening. lol My issue is that since I know it sounds better wired (not louder apparently which is odd, but better they say), I'd still be tempted to listen to it wired. Which kind of negates the whole allure of owning one. lol For that price I could prob get a better wired one.............like, I dunno the MJ2s perhaps?! :L3000: lol

But if someone asked me what's a great wireless headphone, I'd recommend the AT first if they said they could swing $550.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    barondla likes this.
  5. barondla
    Yeah, I could live with the battery charging. Would have to get used to the charging regimen. Just 1 more thing to manage. But like you, wires don't bother me. I still agree with Schiit's Jason Stoddard. They spend all the research and money to offer great sound quality, and people throw it away. Because they are too lazy to plug a cable in. Sigh.

The M&J have ruined me. Used to listen to IEMs at home as much as the Sennheiser HD600. The HD600 with a proper amp are probably capable of out performing the IEMs. But the IEMs have sound isolation that is helpful even at home.

Then the closed back M&J GL2SE arrived from Kickstarter. Wow. Just wow. But, how much improved would they be in balanced mode? The Pono slays in balanced mode. Not easy to mod the GL2SE for balanced drive. It kept eating at me. So I coughed up the $ for the MJ2. With cables running to each earcup it was easy to build custom balanced cables. Now I listen to IEMs and it is huh, that's it? Even the home speaker system has lost considerable playing time. At least it saves the tubes in the VTL amp.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  6. RockStar2005
    Yeah lol............though I wouldn't blame it on primarily on laziness. It's more about the inconvenience of dealing with cables. Can't move around as freely, have to be careful you don't LOSE the cable, etc. Most people listen to mp3s and think "this is it", so they don't know what they're missing out on if you ask me. I was like that before. I was listening to mp3s on my $35 V-Moda earphones and thought I was cool. Then came 2014 lol.....................................................

Well they say you have to spend like $500 on IEMs to get the same quality you get from like $100-$200 headphones. So I'm DONE with IEMs for life! lol

Wow.......... you really love the MJ2s don't you? I REALLY wish you or someone would compare them to the 99 Cs and do a review on here about it. I'd be the first one to read it. lol I'm not saying I'd go and buy the MJ2s if they were to win out, but if the price came down some in a year or so, I'd be open to trying them out. But then I'd have to come up with a custom EQ.........:open_mouth: lol

Why did you have to build custom balanced cables? Don't the MJ2s already come with that?

These new Pryma headphones seem kinda cool too. Very fashionable, but apparently most say they sound great too.

7. barondla
    Well if I have to spend $1500 or more on IEMs to get similar sound quality to the MJ2, it probably isn't happening. Most likely they would still be portable use only. I would probably only spend that on main listening stuff - not portable.

I would love to hear the Meze. Unfortunately the only highend dealer within 200 miles carries Bowers & Wilkins and Audio Quest. I messed up not listening to the Meze that at the Head-Fi meet. Just got distracted by all the headphones. Forgot to listen to others including Sony full size in balanced mode, hooked to a guys PonoPlayer. People were auditioning Noble IEMs - forgot to try them. Noble may have solved my IEM sound gap, but at what cost?

The Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 do ship with interchangeable cables. But it is standard 3.5mm trs on the source end. They don't make any balanced cables at the moment. So it is custom or diy. I've built amp kits so building a cable wasn't too bad. Used some wire from a company Audio Quest founder Bill Low owns. It was a directional headphone cable with 40 tiny strands in each conductor. Luckily the cables had 3.5mm trs on each end. The MJ2 also use 3.5mm trs into each earcup. Still had to cut opposite ends off since + - or wired to tip and ring. Sleeve is unused. They sound great. Still might build different cables to see if I can beat them.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  8. RockStar2005
    Yeah. For me, I prefer to just have headphones that are portable. I feel the 99 Cs fit in the category of portable headphones. Even my K55X headphones were all portable, though they were really on the line there. The 99 Cs are definitely smaller though.

Well I could understand your dilemma..............so many headphones, so little time. lol Hopefully Head-Fi will have another meet around you soon? I know that around me (Chicago area), AXPONA will be having their next convention next April at a hotel near by (see info at top of that link, and full list on that page as well). I may consider going as that hotel is only like 10 minutes away from where I live. Meze is going to be represented there for sure. From speaking to the main marketing/customer relations rep there (Lorand), he said he and Antonio Meze may or may not come out for it. But either way, they will be represented by their U.S. distributor, Headsonix. He said they'll prob know more early next year. That could be an option for you too if you're willing to travel.

Oh ok. And yes, I've come to learn that just because a cable is balanced on one side but not the other, that doesn't officially still mean it's balanced. lol That's pretty cool that you know how to do that. It's not something I'd wanna fuss with, but I'm sure if someone knows what they're doing they can certainly improve their listening experience the way you apparently have.

barondla likes this.
  9. ehjie
    I just finished the JP1 review last night. Then I uploaded in the JP1 review thread. How many days to clear / post by headfi.org admin? Thanks for your responses...

barondla likes this.
  10. barondla
    Looking forward to reading your review of the M&J JP1. Not sure about the answer to your question. My only review was done during the previous version of the forum. Don't remember there being any major time delay. One feature liked about the old forum reviews was the total number of readers were reported. Oh well. It was fun to see. Thanks for taking the time to do a review.

ehjie likes this.
  11. barondla
    Your JPI review is live now. Very good review. Thanks for all the work you put into the review.

ehjie likes this.
  12. ehjie
    Thank you so much barondia for the appreciation. Yes, it took time indeed, but very worth it. The review is dedicated to all audio enthusiasts, like us, everywhere...
    [​IMG]
    I am hoping the cable photo is attached properly. When I clicked on the IMG, it did show the close-up photo. Otherwise, I'd like to know how it is properly done. I'm still learning the new system.
    Cheers...

RockStar2005 and barondla like this.
  13. barondla
    ehjie and RockStar2005 like this.
  14. RockStar2005
    Nice review! I wonder if people prefer these over the MJ2s or not?

ehjie likes this.
  15. ehjie
    Yes that's the thing barondia, it doesn't do anything. I'll wait for others or ask around (other threads) where i usually chat in headfi...

RockStar2005 likes this.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last