Mitchell & Johnson - Electrostatz, 2 way hybrid, Headphones Appreciation and Impressions Thread!
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #181 of 601
Mitchell & Johnson worked hard on making their headphones portable. The MJ2 takes this to an amazing level. Here is picture of Sennheiser HD600 compared to Mitchell & Johnson MJ2. Both are adjusted as small as possible. Amazing difference.

The M&J also are quite efficient they play easily from a phone, tablet, and of course a DAP. Never thought highend home stereo sound would be so portable. Amazing times.

Attachments

• IMGP7443sennheiserHD600vsMJ2folded.jpg
    IMGP7443sennheiserHD600vsMJ2folded.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #182 of 601
Mitchell & Johnson worked hard on making their headphones portable. The MJ2 takes this to an amazing level. Here is picture of Sennheiser HD600 compared to Mitchell & Johnson MJ2. Both are adjusted as small as possible. Amazing difference.

The M&J also are quite efficient they play easily from a phone, tablet, and of course a DAP. Never thought highend home stereo sound would be so portable. Amazing times.

hey barondla.............your pictures aren't displaying. I had the same issue recently too since the new site came up. I advise that you ATTACH the pictures (make sure they are in JPG/JPEG format) using the "Upload a File" option, and then choose the thumbprint (or full image) option to post it, then hit Save.

That's cool. Yeah it's good these days to have a low impedance headphone since most people listen from their phones. Having said that, that DOESN'T or shouldn't mean that people don't still make sure they have GOOD amplification (at least about 1 volt output, like my HTC 10, which outputs 1.009 volts) as that is still the only way to ensure you are getting the most out of your headphones. Well that AND having a SOLID DAC too. The Sony Walkmans are great, but their output is only like 0.32-0.40 volts, which is weak IMO. You could just add a portable amp in the mix like a FiiO, but then you're carrying around 2 devices. lol

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #184 of 601
@RockStar2005 thanks for the tip. Not sure why the pic failed. Have posted pics before and it was after the site revamp. Have to get back to the lappy to fix it. It should be by tonight. Thanks.

NP. Anytime!

Yeah I had issues too when doing my Meze 99 reviews. But I did what I said and it worked.

Ok cool. Post after so I get the notif.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #186 of 601
@RockStar2005 and everyone else, here is the missing comparison pic between Sennheiser HD600 and Mitchell & Johnson MJ2.

Oh yeah, big difference there! I have a buddy who won't buy headphones unless they can be folded in like that (MJ2). That kind of portability definitely comes in handy when you're packing it in a backpack or suitcase. For me it's not a big deal b/c like my Meze 99 Classics are kinda small anyway IMO and the case is very compact in design, and I travel more often by train into the city (downtown Chicago) than I do by plane.

Thanks for supplying the pic!

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #187 of 601
I saw a pair of Meze 99 at the Head-Fi meet. They appeared a similar size to the M&J (when unfolded). Forgot to listen to the Meze. They were very nice looking. Thought the HD600 were large until I saw the HD800. Wow. The ZMF didn't seem as big as HD800, but man were they heavy. The HD800 were comfy. The MJ2 do come with a small hard case. Haven't taken the MJ2 anywhere so the case sits in the box, in the closet.

Taking this pic I noticed the HD600 headband pad died. It deflated. Will have to replace it. First thing I have ever fixed on them.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #188 of 601
I saw a pair of Meze 99 at the Head-Fi meet. They appeared a similar size to the M&J (when unfolded). Forgot to listen to the Meze. They were very nice looking. Thought the HD600 were large until I saw the HD800. Wow. The ZMF didn't seem as big as HD800, but man were they heavy. The HD800 were comfy. The MJ2 do come with a small hard case. Haven't taken the MJ2 anywhere so the case sits in the box, in the closet.

Taking this pic I noticed the HD600 headband pad died. It deflated. Will have to replace it. First thing I have ever fixed on them.

Nice. Yeah they LOOK about the same size. You should check them out. I'd like to hear your opinion on them. I've tried MANY headphones up to $400 and IMO the 99s are the best, with the B&O 2nd Gen H6 being a close second, and AKG K55X series a close third.

Oh nice........glad they come with a hard case too. I use it when I take the train. Keep it in my backpack.

I C. Ok. Yeah gotta keep 'em maintained! lol

I just got the Brainwavz sheepskin leather ear pads off Amazon. Came in yesterday. Gonna try 'em out tonight. Reviews say you're less likely to sweat with them on vs. faux leather ones like the ones the 99s come with.

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #189 of 601
@RockStar2005 let us know how they work out. Brainwavz makes pads that fit the M&J GL2. Thought about trying some, but pads usually affect the sound. One of the Grado mods is just wrappling black electrical tape around outer edge of existing pads. Sometimes pad changes help the sound. Good luck.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #190 of 601
@RockStar2005 let us know how they work out. Brainwavz makes pads that fit the M&J GL2. Thought about trying some, but pads usually affect the sound. One of the Grado mods is just wrappling black electrical tape around outer edge of existing pads. Sometimes pad changes help the sound. Good luck.

Will do.

Yeah some ppl say they affect the sound but others say it's all BS. I dunno we'll see. lol

It might even make it better too! The reviews I read basically said that I believe.

Thanks!

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #191 of 601

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sony-htc-akg-blue-misc-thread.830756/page-56#post-13627376

Skim some of the posts before it (ignore the remastering headphones ones though). Sounds like a game changer! The price is kinda high though but lol...............

https://www.amazon.com/Technica-Bluetooth-wireless-headphones-ATH-DSR9BT/dp/B01M8LCUX3

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #192 of 601
@RockStar2005 interesting info. Not sure I buy the no dac claim. The files are digital, speakers only play analog. We only hear analog. Unless they have invented a digital driver that converts to analog, there has to be some kind of conversion circuitry. DSD can be converted using a single capacitor. Perhaps a circuit could change all standard PCM to DSD, then use a capacitor to do the conversion? Many would still call that a dac. That wouldn't require a driver with 4 wires. Interesting.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #193 of 601
@RockStar2005 interesting info. Not sure I buy the no dac claim. The files are digital, speakers only play analog. We only hear analog. Unless they have invented a digital driver that converts to analog, there has to be some kind of conversion circuitry. DSD can be converted using a single capacitor. Perhaps a circuit could change all standard PCM to DSD, then use a capacitor to do the conversion? Many would still call that a dac. That wouldn't require a driver with 4 wires. Interesting.

She responded, but I still wasn't clear, so I asked her to clarify further. I THINK what you said about having a digital driver that converts to analog vs. using a DAC is what it is. She said:

Thanks and yes, I agree about this being pretty extraordinary!

Answering the analog question is definitely a bit tricky due to the proprietary essence of the Dnote technology. Ultimately, the sound wave that you hear is technically analog, but how it’s produced doesn’t follow the typical conversion route and is definitely digital much longer than in other systems.

Thanks!

Crystal

This is in addition to what she'd said earlier: "The digital pulses generated by the chipset directly excite the voice coil(s) of the driver to move the diaphragm forward and backward to create the sound waves heard by the user. To address your point, yes, there is a conversion happening, but we don’t refer to it as a DAC because it doesn’t work like the traditional DAC we’re all familiar with in the audio industry. This is a completely new and different technology than we’ve ever seen in the past."

So that's how I'm interpreting it. You?

Also, what OTHER conversions or opportunities to introduce distortion into the signal are there besides the one they described? She makes it sound like there are multiple chances for this in a BT situation, but I only know of one.

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #194 of 601

Ok got a final response not from her but someone else there. Sounds like it IS a digital driver that converts to analog to make sound at the last moment as you said, so it's not a DAC since DACs aren't found in drivers as far as I know. Pretty amazing technology if you ask me. (Note: AT's response is in italics.)

Hi ......,

Please see below for additional information on your request.

Yes it is complex. From what I understood from your initial e-mail, the Dnote chip is able to produce sound (at the last moment) from the signal it receives. But IF an analog conversion is still taking place, it's done so only once vs. the traditional (DAC) way via Bluetooth where a DAC is needed to make sound. Even in a "DAC" situation, the signal is only actually converted once as far as I know when talking Bluetooth. The signal bypasses the DAC in the source device b/c at that point there is no need to convert it to analog yet as BT is digital. The signal reaches the speakers and headphones and then the DAC there converts it. Unless I'm wrong, and there are more than one conversions or chances for distortion to be introduced into the signal that I'm not aware of??

There is no traditional DAC in this headphone, the Dnote chipset processes the unmodified digital signal from the source into density controlled pulses which energizes the voice coil creating the analog signal from the driver. The “conversion” takes place at the driver.

Also, you said "The digital pulses generated by the chipset directly excite the voice coil(s) of the driver to move the diaphragm forward and backward to create the sound waves heard by the user. " This actually doesn't sound like a conversion is even happening at all, but more like a new way of producing sound that doesn't involve analog. So I guess the REAL question is, can sound be produced without analog involvement?? It sounds like you're saying yes, but I guess your tech dept would know for sure.

A traditional DAC is not used, so the signal is not in an analog form until you hear the output from the driver. That is why we say the conversion takes place at the driver. You are correct in recognizing that this is a different way of producing sound through the Dnote technology of Trigence.

Thanks,

Kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back