Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Sep 18, 2011 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 756

Loevhagen

1000+ Head-Fier
As we now know, the new protein leather ear pads from HiFiMAN are actually thinner than the velour pads. In order to get a good seal AND som distance between the ear and the planar driver, it therefore seems necessary to browse for a creative solution. Here´s a mission and I hope you can help me:

- The Ø (diametre) of the plastic ring on the HiFiMAN is 103mm
- The new ear pads have a sleeve that is fastened around the plastic clip 

If it is possible to find another brand / aftermarket ear pad that is thicker and in leather / skin with the right dimension and the sleeve, mision would be completed.

However, it is nearly impossible to find the ear pad size information for some alternatives I think will fit (Beyer DTxx0, Denon DxK / J$).

Could you happy head-fiers measure the Ø (diametre) of the ear pads on your headphone if you know your manufacturer / brand deliver spare parts for it in skin / leather and it is fairly deep / and on/close to 103mm? Thanks.

I can start:

- First guess was the leater pads for the Audeze LCD-2 (110mm) = fail
:
Next?

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 756
I have a pair of AKG 27imkII and the spare ear pads in leather fit the sleeve and the diametre, but are not thicker. AKG 271mkII as repalcement option = fail.

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 756
This a very interesting post. How are you intending to put them in place? Stax Omega might fit but they are expensive. I would like to get some decent velour pads personally. A pair that is of the size and thickness.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 756
Good to hear of any others that may fit, incase sometime in the future Hifiman cease trading & we are all left with headphones where we cant buy any spares for, as some of these companies have a habit of coming & going.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 756
Sep 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 756
Looks quite good actually, if they are fuller as you say then you might lose a little bass if the drivers are further away from your ears, but cant wait to hear what the verdict is.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 756
Sweet. Seems like mission impossible is turned to possible (and actually looking good as well). Thanks. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 756
Awesome Harris! How did you attach them? Bare in mind I have never seen a Beyer pad up close and therefore have no idea of its locking mechanism. I assume velour pads can just as well be fitted the same way?

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 756
My little "concern" now is the piece of fabric the Beyer pads don't have. However, that should be solved by e.g. a pair of scissors and Oroblu. :wink:

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 756
Just not the fishnet type
blink.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 756

Quote:
Awesome Harris! How did you attach them? Bare in mind I have never seen a Beyer pad up close and therefore have no idea of its locking mechanism. I assume velour pads can just as well be fitted the same way?

Have you got the new pads from HiFiMan? If so then you just take out the plastic ring as the rear design of the pads are almost identical. I am mad up to my neck in it at the moment as I just got my balanced connectors for my PB2 so busy chopping cables up and such. I will definately try and get some pics and impressions (single ended lol).

The other thing to consider for those who like velour over the leather is that the Beyer velour pads are also fatter than the stock HiFiMan ones....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back