Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Mar 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #452 of 756
Attached Q701 pads to my HE-400, the results were mixed. Comfort was great, the sound was not.
I'd expect this mod to work out much better on the HE-500.

Here is a photo of various pads for comparison.

If you're interested, take a look here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/710122/hifiman-akg-q701-hybrid-earpad-mod

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #453 of 756
After reading through most of this thread, I am considering two pad mods for my HE-5LEs, the first is the Jerg pads, the second is the Audeze vegan pads. Comfort is not really a big issue, since I find even the stock pads quite comfy. I'm more concerned with the change in sound. For my taste I wish the 5LE has slightly less bass (or more controlled bass), better soundstage (preferrably wider) and slightly more treble. I have the feeling from previous posts that the Audeze vegan might do the job, but the jerg pads seem also highly regarded. 
Since most of these discussions don't involve 5LE, can anyone (if there's still anyone around) share his/her opinion? 

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #454 of 756
just thought i'd share my impressions i posted on the he-500 thread. Only thing i would add is that i wish i would have paid for the audeze pads as they are less firm and more cushy. Don't know what that would have done to the sound though.

So... I know that most people who have tried the alpha pads on the he-500's like the comfort but tend to think that they sound worse. I have to share my experience over the last couple of days using them against the lcd-2's, and compared to the jergpads i find the treble much closer to the lcd-2's with the alpha pads but with just a bit more sparkle. To my ears it makes the treble response much less peaky and tames the 9khz spike considerably. The alpha pads also bring vocals much closer to the lcd-2's. I think they are filling in the 5-6 khz dip in the mids but not sure the reasoning i feel the mids are better. Also sound is more holographic due to the angled drivers. If i push the back of the driver in so it isn't angled, the sound becomes much less holographic and more 2-d.

In conclusion, comfort is improved, mids (primarily vocals) are more prominent, and the treble spike is tamed. It takes away from the airyness a bit, but the alpha pads help bring forth a more holographic effect due to the angle of the drivers. This helps add depth to the sound and make them feel much less 2-d if that makes sense.

ALPHA PADS_
-more bass presence then velours
-more apparent or spotlit vocals
-less treble spike
-less air between instruments
-more holographic
-more comfortable.

Yea I actually like the more dense, less airy sound because it gives me something VERY close to the lcd-2 that i am returning and sounds absolutely fantastic for vocals, and i can switch to velours if i want a lighter more airy presentation while retaining the core of the he-500 sound.

The thing about the he-500 treble is this: while it pulls off one of the greatest paradoxical feats in the headphone world by having sparkly, airy, almost bright treble while at the same time being rarely to never sibilant or fatiguing. BUT there is a TIZZ present in all hifiman cans ive tried (he-400, he-500, he-4,5,6), and while the he-500 has the least tizz, it still takes away from making things sound "real". When i listen to sounds in real life they are usually presented with much less high frequency presency than most headphones have. To me the lcd-2.2 treble sounds about right, even though the mids are a bit forward and colored.

The alpha pads help to add a realness to the treble by reducing the spike and reducing the tizz, and enhancing the musicality in the midrange. That's my impression of them at least.

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #456 of 756
I will have angled th600 pads in soon. Let you guys know how it is with the he4.

Got them in and on the HE4, I can say it changes the sound quite a bit. The airy treble is gone and treble detail is less, slight mid-bass boost,  and an overall warm tilt. Where with velours the HE4 excelled in string instrument sound reproduction, they now sound how most headphones do. Which is still decent but nowhere near as life-like. These make the headphones warm sounding which people might find favorable, makes great for movies and poorly recorded tracks while still keeping that planar magnetic presentation. For reference like sound however, I'd go back to the velours.

I also tried it with a back-vent (pics on the bottom) but found the bass control off with them.

This is a definite improvement from those D2000 pads in a sense there's a much opening area. I do gotta say the D2000 pads are more comfy (at least the ones being sold from China on E-bay, which I don't think are genuine Denon).

Denon TH600 Pads:

On the headphone:

With a @jerg pad back-vent:

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #457 of 756
I sincerely hope the new Hifiman hybrid pleather-velour angled pads will be it...

May 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #459 of 756
tried the lcd-3 pads and didnt like them. They were comfortable but sounded a bit harsh and bright. out of the alpha pads, jergpads, velour, pleather, and lcd-3 i like the alphas best for sound and comfort.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #461 of 756
Just got Brainwavz HM5 ear pads.
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

They are oval but I made them fit nicely. Most would stop when having to bend the plastic ring this much but pleather stretches quite nicely.

Default oval shape:

Fitted on to HFM ring:

Back side:

HM5 pad on the left, HFM on the right:

Also added head pad of a Sennhesier HD555 that I was about to toss away but noticed it could be handy. There was just a bit of glue residue left after being torn off to make it hold so I didn't apply anything and its easy to remove without any marks being left:

Now the results. I will start with the HD555 head pad. It is a success. No more pressure on one spot, the most comfortable solution I have come across. The weight of the headphone does not bother me anymore.
Should be available on Sennheiser as a spare part, probably for cheap. A must have.

Now onto the pads. With them I have gotten mixed results.
Comfort compared to original pleather and velour is 10, I don't believe you got get any better with HFM headphones than this.
The thin stocking like cloth on the inside is slightly thinner than HFMs and it makes the sound make much more clearer, maybe due to the pads themselves too. It sounds less congested but also less warm.
Very apparent but unfortunately theres is also something else that is very apparent and the only thing that really takes the hit with these incredibly comfortable pads and that is the bass.

Its slightly a bit looser but more noticeably its impact has been tamed down. Before they were bass monsters for me, now you, while you still get bass, its not something I would take over HD800 for bass. I will be playing with EQ and giving these pads another go.

Overall HE-500 now sounds clearer with less bass but its still has a lot of bass compared to other phones, it now actually has as much bass as HE-4 with HFM pleather pads. Soundstage also seems wider, everything is more airy. The good thing about them is also the fact the the cloth on the inside is now 0.5cm away from the metal bar in inside the cups and if your ears will touch anything it will be the cloth (with HFM pads the bar pushes the cloth inward towards your ear). When I had the loaner a couple years back I had tremendous ear pain from the metal bars.
My left ear touches the cloth while the right does not. I am very nitpick but it does not bother me at all.

I paid 12.42€ shipped for a pair (its being sold a piece so make sure you order two). I believe its mandatory to try these as they are the comfiest I have come across (very squishy), cheap and much better made than HFM pads. I will be sticking with these for a while as I really like the clear sound they now produce.

And another word or two on the HD555 head pad - I have seen some use HD600 pad. I had HD600 and that pad is more tough than the squishy 555 pad. Therefore I think HD600 would not be as comfortable.

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #462 of 756
I liked the HM5 pads with HFM HPs very much...
Might order two pairs, they're dirt cheap w' free shipping.
They do take FOREVER to get to me though...

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #463 of 756
Just got Brainwavz HM5 ear pads.
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

They are oval but I made them fit nicely. Most would stop when having to bend the plastic ring this much but pleather stretches quite nicely.
Default oval shape:

Fitted on to HFM ring:

Back side:

HM5 pad on the left, HFM on the right:

Also added head pad of a Sennhesier HD555 that I was about to toss away but noticed it could be handy. There was just a bit of glue residue left after being torn off to make it hold so I didn't apply anything and its easy to remove without any marks being left:

Now the results. I will start with the HD555 head pad. It is a success. No more pressure on one spot, the most comfortable solution I have come across. The weight of the headphone does not bother me anymore.
Should be available on Sennheiser as a spare part, probably for cheap. A must have.

Now onto the pads. With them I have gotten mixed results.
Comfort compared to original pleather and velour is 10, I don't believe you got get any better with HFM headphones than this.
The thin stocking like cloth on the inside is slightly thinner than HFMs and it makes the sound make much more clearer, maybe due to the pads themselves too. It sounds less congested but also less warm.
Very apparent but unfortunately theres is also something else that is very apparent and the only thing that really takes the hit with these incredibly comfortable pads and that is the bass.

Its slightly a bit looser but more noticeably its impact has been tamed down. Before they were bass monsters for me, now you, while you still get bass, its not something I would take over HD800 for bass. I will be playing with EQ and giving these pads another go.

Overall HE-500 now sounds clearer with less bass but its still has a lot of bass compared to other phones, it now actually has as much bass as HE-4 with HFM pleather pads. Soundstage also seems wider, everything is more airy. The good thing about them is also the fact the the cloth on the inside is now 0.5cm away from the metal bar in inside the cups and if your ears will touch anything it will be the cloth (with HFM pads the bar pushes the cloth inward towards your ear). When I had the loaner a couple years back I had tremendous ear pain from the metal bars.
My left ear touches the cloth while the right does not. I am very nitpick but it does not bother me at all.

I paid 12.42€ shipped for a pair (its being sold a piece so make sure you order two). I believe its mandatory to try these as they are the comfiest I have come across (very squishy), cheap and much better made than HFM pads. I will be sticking with these for a while as I really like the clear sound they now produce.

And another word or two on the HD555 head pad - I have seen some use HD600 pad. I had HD600 and that pad is more tough than the squishy 555 pad. Therefore I think HD600 would not be as comfortable.

I tried the HM5 pads with my HE-500 and had a similar experience.  I ended up trimming the outer part of the mounting rings, as I didn't think the pleather would stretch that much.  Even then it ended up splitting a little, though is still functional.  I can't recall a lack of bass, but what really got me was some serious ringing or harshness or glare (for lack of a better word) at certain frequencies (I'd guess upper mids somewhere) in certain songs.  Very unpleasant.  Since there was no way I'd be able to use them in that state, I modded them in the jergpad style, cutting holes in the inner and outer rings of pleather, then stitching some wonderfully soft microsuede over the outer part and top (not inner) to hide the holes and increase the comfort.  I also took those rings of thin, stiff foam that come with the stock HFM pleathers, trimmed them a bit, and slid them into place just like they are with the stock pads.  I reckon that bit of stiffness helps keep them that much further from my ears.

I posted some pix of my mods somewhere, and can provide the link here, if anyone's interested.

Soundwise the modded version is better for me, though that ringing can poke its ugly head through the curtain now and then.  I agree that they are just about the most comfortable you'll get with HFMs without spending crazy Audeze or Lawton pad money, but sonically the AKG Q701 pads still rule the roost with my rig.  They totally tame any harshness, and being a stiffer, angled foam and having a bigger opening, the soundstage is much larger, esp. when back venting them, a la the jergpad optional mod.  I also have nice, open grills, so that helps, too.

beerchug.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #464 of 756
Ok so I got mixed results with HE-500 but with HE-4 they are phenomenal. I also added foam rings that came with HFM pads on the inside. I noticed the extra depth adds to more bass being heard.
HE-4 are already very airy and open but this ads to it. Its like they were veiled before, everything is so natural and clear.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #465 of 756
Ok so I got mixed results with HE-500 but with HE-4 they are phenomenal. I also added foam rings that came with HFM pads on the inside. I noticed the extra depth adds to more bass being heard.
HE-4 are already very airy and open but this ads to it. Its like they were veiled before, everything is so natural and clear.

I'm assuming you're talking about the HM5 pads, and I've got to say-- I agree. I tried them on my HE-6, and they managed to get me the treble extension and openness without the wonkiness of the HFM leather pads. LOVE them thus far!

Quick question though: are the foam ring pads you're talking about ones you've physically removed from the inside of the existing HFM pads? Because my ear touches the driver on the HE-6 and I need to get some more space there for comfort's sake. Corollary question: anywhere I can by said foam ring pads separately, or something else with an equivalent effect? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back