Minneapolis Meet 9/20/14 Impressions! PICS! EVERYTHING!
Sep 20, 2014 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Please post your pics and impressions of the meet below.

My pics will be up when I'm done drinking for the day and have time to post them lol

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 27
http://m.imgur.com/QEf9ruA,BIraDJc,Iq4l4E4,UxR5dxu,sAXfreH,bFSPaz7,zSgoxrE,Lrerf8H,ygCZj9T,1TyGtqw,WEE5eKt,FScYW63,QnTP23l,P19K397

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 27
Nice pics guys!

WHERE'S THE REST! lol

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 27
I Really enjoyed the meet. Thanks to everyone who packed up their gear and brought it to share. Apparently I should have brought a camera as well...I assumed a few more people would be taking photographs. Oh well. Next time. Here are a few gear specific impressions:

Glenn OTL & Senn HD800: I was looking forward to hear this amp more than anything at the meet and I wasn't disappointed. Great synergy with the HD800 - Very full with gobs of low end impact, while simultaneously maintaining the HD800's detail retrieval/imaging/technicalities. Not an overly gooey tube implementation (nice choices by kvtaco17), with an effortless delivery. Good stuff.

Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball & Senn HD650: The Bottlehead is certainly known to pair well with the 6 series Sennheisers, and this particular combo was well thought out between the headphones, tube choices and the Gungnir front end. 

Koss ESP950 & Stax SR? (didn't catch the model): I hadn't anticipated hearing much in terms of electrostatics, so these were a pleasant surprise. While neither had a great deal of "weight" on the low end (a common electrostatic criticism), their rather effortless & ethereal presentation was enjoyable in its own right. Both certainly exhibited a distinct sound that separated them from the dynamics/orthos at the meet. Ultimately these made me even more curious about hearing the lauded 009.

HiFiMan HE-400i: Not a bad headphone for the money. Tonally it was relatively close to the LCD-2, with slightly less extended bass, a touch more treble energy to my ear and slightly less "thick" sounding. The bass quality was quite good for the price point and didn't strike me as overly flabby/loose. The Audeze differentiated itself in terms of overall technicalities (as it should at double the price), the resolution of the LCD was a bit higher to my ear with slightly better imaging and wider staging. The 400i was comparatively a bit compressed. Regardless, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for someone looking for an ortho on a tighter budget.   

Foxtex TH-900: I'm glad I got to hear these. They're quite nice despite having a rather "U" shaped tonal response. Imaging and staging are quite good for a closed design. The bass presentation was tight, controlled and punchy. Build quality is excellent. Resolution was good and they had a very clean sound. I personally prefer something a bit more neutral leaning, but I can understand their appeal. The fact that they are so efficient is an added bonus.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 27
My Impressions and Thoughts

So I walk in, and bearFNF greets me. Shows me a place to set my stuff down, and my dad was already listening to and checking out bearFNF's gear when I was done, so I had to wait a minute to hear the cans.

When I finally put the HD800 on my head, a smile instantly crept up on me. My heart was beating rapidly, and I couldn't believe what I heard! I was transported to a massive room with a private concert from Jimi Hendrix. I let out a sort of laugh from how unbelievable this moment truly was. I became mesmerized. The layering of sound and space between instruments added to the realism. Truly a moment I will remember the rest of my life.

Later on, I tried the HD800 on the Woo Audio WA7 fireflies, and listened to my favorite song... "Straw Hat Pirates" by Omnitica. That song has multiple different synths playing many different parts at once, and thus I use it to test instrument(if you can call a computer synth made on FL studio an instrument that is.) separation. The HD800 had zero problem distinguishing between sounds. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Bass on the HD800 lacked a little for most electronic, except for ones that used many instrument synths (violin, drums, guitar, etc) which Omnitica does on most songs. HD800, with its large soundstage, sadly sounds unnatural and rather boring with anything like Dubstep, Glitch Hop, or Drum and Bass. The synths and bass are placed too far away, and lack impact of other headphones that are better suited to electronic. The LCD-2 fared much better with electronic however. I really loved the bass on them. Insane fun for electronic. Texture is crazy. Square wave synths for example had a lot of punch, but space between wave peaks.

My favorite headphone for electronic music there was the TH900 however. I dont know why... It just had a sound I really liked. One of the most beautiful headphones I have ever seen. Breathtaking, super easy to drive, sounds good with just about every genre I tried it out with, and scales very well with better amping.

I tried the HD800 with the Glenn OTL. Even more impressive than the other setups I tried it with! Again, tried it with electronic. I could hear Skrillex's gentle strokes on his MacBook pro with great clarity, but again, not the best sounding for that particular genre. "Welcome to The Jungle" by guns n' roses... Oh my! Cymbals were super detailed. I could picture exactly what the drummer looked like and how he struck the cymbals and drums. Absolutely awestruck by the HD800's with 70's-80's rock and pop... For a third time. Soundstage was still unbelievable.

I used the HD598, HD650, and K702 to see what can I would get in the upcoming months. HD598 was super comfortable, but kind of veiled. Not the biggest soundstage either. HD650 was a very enjoyable listen. A little warm, but very detailed with a large soundstage. K702, however was my favorite of the three. I'm a sucker for a large soundstage, but my only concern was how little bass it had. I've read the Q701 has more bass however, so I probably will pick that up, along with a Schiit Vali or other tube amp. Also, probably an FiiO X1 as a source. 400$ mid-fi setup here I come!

The electrostatic cans... The koss's build was really disappointing considering their price point. Sound was great at least, however I liked the Stax Lambda much more. Gobs more detail, and more spacious sound. Clarity is top notch...

Any questions?

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 27
My Impressions and Thoughts

So I walk in, and bearFNF greets me. Shows me a place to set my stuff down, and my dad was already listening to and checking out bearFNF's gear when I was done, so I had to wait a minute to hear the cans.

When I finally put the HD800 on my head, a smile instantly crept up on me. My heart was beating rapidly, and I couldn't believe what I heard! I was transported to a massive room with a private concert from Jimi Hendrix. I let out a sort of laugh from how unbelievable this moment truly was. I became mesmerized. The layering of sound and space between instruments added to the realism. Truly a moment I will remember the rest of my life.

Later on, I tried the HD800 on the Woo Audio WA7 fireflies, and listened to my favorite song... "Straw Hat Pirates" by Omnitica. That song has multiple different synths playing many different parts at once, and thus I use it to test instrument(if you can call a computer synth made on FL studio an instrument that is.) separation. The HD800 had zero problem distinguishing between sounds. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Bass on the HD800 lacked a little for most electronic, except for ones that used many instrument synths (violin, drums, guitar, etc) which Omnitica does on most songs. HD800, with its large soundstage, sadly sounds unnatural and rather boring with anything like Dubstep, Glitch Hop, or Drum and Bass. The synths and bass are placed too far away, and lack impact of other headphones that are better suited to electronic. The LCD-2 fared much better with electronic however. I really loved the bass on them. Insane fun for electronic. Texture is crazy. Square wave synths for example had a lot of punch, but space between wave peaks.

My favorite headphone for electronic music there was the TH900 however. I dont know why... It just had a sound I really liked. One of the most beautiful headphones I have ever seen. Breathtaking, super easy to drive, sounds good with just about every genre I tried it out with, and scales very well with better amping.

I tried the HD800 with the Glenn OTL. Even more impressive than the other setups I tried it with! Again, tried it with electronic. I could hear Skrillex's gentle strokes on his MacBook pro with great clarity, but again, not the best sounding for that particular genre. "Welcome to The Jungle" by guns n' roses... Oh my! Cymbals were super detailed. I could picture exactly what the drummer looked like and how he struck the cymbals and drums. Absolutely awestruck by the HD800's with 70's-80's rock and pop... For a third time. Soundstage was still unbelievable.

I used the HD598, HD650, and K702 to see what can I would get in the upcoming months. HD598 was super comfortable, but kind of veiled. Not the biggest soundstage either. HD650 was a very enjoyable listen. A little warm, but very detailed with a large soundstage. K702, however was my favorite of the three. I'm a sucker for a large soundstage, but my only concern was how little bass it had. I've read the Q701 has more bass however, so I probably will pick that up, along with a Schiit Vali or other tube amp. Also, probably an FiiO X1 as a source. 400$ mid-fi setup here I come!

The electrostatic cans... The koss's build was really disappointing considering their price point. Sound was great at least, however I liked the Stax Lambda much more. Gobs more detail, and more spacious sound. Clarity is top notch...

Any questions?

Glad you liked the Glenn OTL... did you try it with the LCD2's?

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 27
Ah darn... Didn't think to try it with the LCD-2's.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 27

Glad you liked the Glenn OTL... did you try it with the LCD2's?

He had left by the time you swapped tubes. I thought it worked pretty well overall. The power of the amp was able to control the driver very well. It wasn't sloppy sounding in the least. I suspect some further tube rolling would be necessary to find something that worked best with that combo, but I have little doubt that it could be done. 

One thing I had intended to do (but wasn't really able to) was test the Glenn for noise - tough to do in that environment. That and the potential channel imbalance at low levels are my primary concern with pulling the trigger on one...well, that and the need to hear the Ragnarok.
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 27
Next time we should plan to do a mini meet before or after the main meet.  The suite I had would have worked for this as it had a living room with a dining/card table and coffee table in front of a couch.  We could have set-up a few systems for critical listening.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 27
Channel unbalanced doesn't show up unless you're at less the 9 o'clock on the dial, you could have a stepped attenuator speced if you were worried about it. Noise wise it depends on the tubes greatly... The high impedance setup I had there is very quiet, noise only starts to show up well past half volume... But at that point with sound playing you would be deaf lol

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 27
Yeah, I'm sure it's probably fine on both counts. I couldn't detect any noise during the meet, but it's obviously not the best environment to find out how "black" the background actually is...just being paranoid. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 27
  video from meet:

Oh man, not only were these guys poster children for our meet, we also good a vid of them being goofs... so much win lol

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 27
  Oh man, not only were these guys poster children for our meet, we also good a vid of them being goofs... so much win lol

Nice... look at the caption photo for our meet and then look at the caption photo on the front page for the Detriot meet.  Who looks like they are having more fun 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back