minimizing isolation
Mar 24, 2009 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vapman

Member of the Trade: bhobuds.com
i know this is a weird/somewhat ridiculous topic for IEMs. i'm planning on getting Etymotics for studio/home use because I want a neutral sound signature and very fast phones, but the issue is i don't want all that much isolation. are there any particular kinds of tips/sleeves i should look into?

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 14
The problem with this and ety's is that isolation and bass response are connected.. I desire the same thing sometimes but I don't think much can be done.

Although some of the tips may isolate worse than the others, I can't say from experience since I have only ever used the tri-flange.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 14
maybe one of the foams?? but what the above poster said is mostly correct, bass and seal (therefor isolation) are highly dependant on one another and with an IEM that is a bit light there already I think you might be pushing your luck

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 14
If audio quality is not that important and yer listening to an audio book, just let it a bit loose.

Or wear a t on the back saying, "Tap me for service, Hard of Hearing."

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If audio quality is not that important and yer listening to an audio book, just let it a bit loose.

Or wear a t on the back saying, "Tap me for service, Hard of Hearing."

LOL
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 14
I have read that either the RE2 or the Soundmagic PL30 do not have great isolation qualities, sorry I can't remember which is less for this feature (do some searches on the site for both). My personal experience in the JBL Ref 220's have little isolation (I could not use them on the bus at all).

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 14
^Yup, listening to them without a good seal will degrade the sound quality. Ety's isolation are top notch, kind of sad to listen to them without isolation.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read that either the RE2 or the Soundmagic PL30 do not have great isolation qualities, sorry I can't remember which is less for this feature (do some searches on the site for both). My personal experience in the JBL Ref 220's have little isolation (I could not use them on the bus at all).

This. RE2s cost a tad more than the PL30s. I can hear all the stupid people on the bus with the RE2s. Great sound, bass may be a tad light for some people.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #14 of 14
another option would be to get whatever nice IEM's you can afford and buy the shure PTH (Push to Hear) device which comes with the SE530PTH, but can be bought separately. in fact they come up on the forums here every now and again. this device allows you to mix a defined amount of the outside noise in with your audio. you can choose the level, the PTH contains a microphone to pick up environmental noises. you can switch it off entirely or anywhere in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back