minidisc player - headphones question
Oct 10, 2002 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Procyon

New Head-Fier
Hey,
I have a question. I want to buy headphones, which have to work without an amp.
I have the MS722 md player and want to buy Sennheiser headphones to use them with the md player.
I am looking at the 495, 590, 600 models. Which one should I choose? do they all need an amp?
TIA

Procyon

Oct 10, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 13
If you wanna stick with Sennheiser, look into the 497's and avoid the 580's/600's. Don't know anything about the 590's, but it wouldn't surprise me if they need an amp to drive them, the 600's definitely need an amp.

Why not look into other brands? Any particular reason?

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 13
HI: I don't mean to take you off the sennheiser cans but if you would like great sound un-amped and very inexpensive but very great sounding may I suggest giving the koss-35 or koss portapros a thought. Do a search on these cans upper right top of screen and see what other members have to say about the koss-35 and the koss portapro. Please forgive me for getting off topic with the senn. Welcome to head-fi

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 13
definately look at some Koss 35s if you want to keep thing really portable.

also might be a good idea to audition some Grado's for at home listening. all of em will do fine without an amp.

if you're sticking with Senn, you're stuck in their cheaper department, which is ok value and such...but not special in any way, except tacky look and feel.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 13
I own Sennheiser HD600 and Sony V6, however the headphones that get used most often with my MD player is the KSC-35.

Oct 10, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 13
With an older Sharp, I'd suggest a KSC-50. There is a slight issue with fit however - they're OK for walking but require a bit of involved sculpting of the earpieces for anything faster than regular walking pace. Still, $15-20 is hardly a huge mistake.

The 497 is an option. You could also look into Sony's MDR-D66SL at AudioCubes.com ...

Might help if you told us what you listened to.

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 13
I've tried both the KSC-35 and the KSC-50 and I like the -35 better. I found the -50 to be heavy and insecure on my ears. Every time I turned my head, I was afraid they would fall off. The -35's are far more secure on my head, and are more durable. The rubber flexible clip on the -50 is not designed very well at all, and it breaks off easily. (I know because the guy I sold my -50's to broke his, and the guy I bought the -35 from who decided to keep the -50 instead is having troubles with that as well).

The 35 on the other hand is very comfy and quite a bit lighter. I can hardly feel them when I'm wearing them. I'm never afraid that they're going to fall off.

The KSC-35 has been discontinued and is getting harder and harder to find, so I would buy a pair as soon as you can. Keep an eye on the buy/sell forum for head-fiers who are selling them. They should cost about $25 bucks now, which is a GREAT deal.

Oct 10, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 13
I agree with Fiddler: the KSC-35 are worth the work to find them. They sound great with the MS-722 (I have one of those). The HD 497 also works very well, but I find the KSC-35 to sound as good, and they're much more comfortable and portable.

Oct 10, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 13
Procyon
HI: just because the koss-35 are inexpensive doesn't mean they sound like an inexpensive earphone. These cans sound great and in my opinion much better than any ear bud.

Oct 10, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 13
Unfortunately, the 495 is extremely inefficient - and low in impedance. You'll need one heck of a beefy amp just to drive the 495 to satisfactory loudness levels without clipping. You see, I used to own a pair of the 495, but took it back. Even an Airhead (a "regular" one that I had at the time that I had the 495) had trouble driving the 495 - the combo clipped at loudness levels well below what I consider "adequate". And I noticed some clipping from my receiver's headphone jack even at a "comfortable" loudness level from the 495, since I had to turn up the volume control of my receiver to over half of its maximum setting just to get that loudness level from the 495. I figured that the 495 needed a huge and expensive headphone amp just to be driven at all well. Surprisingly, not even my current "low-sensitivity" HD 600 needed that much voltage in order to be driven to satisfactory loudness levels. (In other words, the HD 580 and HD 600 needs a bit more voltage swing than what the typical portable player or soundcard can deliver - while as I said the HD 495 needs one 495-pound-gorilla of a dedicated headphone amp.)

Oct 11, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Procyon
hmm I don't really wanna go buy cheap ones..they should be good.
maybe I'll go with the 495 for my pc ( music + gaming )
and buy quality earbuds for my md
what earbuds do u recommend? I listen to trance..if that matters

Inexpensive does not equal cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

The KSC-35 are some of the best headphones under $100 IMO.

The HD 495 need a headphone amp to sound good.

The KSC-35 will sound better than the HD 495, IMO, without an amp, and I think they sound better than any earbuds on the market except for Etys.

I think you'll be surprised (and happy at how much money you saved). Give 'em a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back