mini3vs d10 vs ppas vs ef2
Sep 5, 2009 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nzstudent

New Head-Fier
Hey looking at getting my first amp/dac for my senn hd595s (&macbook pro, although do not need portable).

Thanks to the very useful help of this forum I have narrowed it down to either a mini3/gamma1(dac) or a hifiman ef2, or a ppas/gamma1 or ibasso
d10 if I decide to spend a little more.

Any thoughts on the pros/cons of these amps/dacs in relation to each other? Haven't been able to get much comparative information as DIYers mostly listen to DIY and non DIYers tend not to have listened to DIY.

I'm under the impression the gamma1 would be a better dac than the ef2, but am not sure about how the mini3 would compare with the ef2 amp, and not sure how the d10 and ppas/gamma1 would compare, but at least they are all excellent value for money (from what I've read) so I can't go too wrong.

Thanks
icon10.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by nzstudent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey looking at getting my first amp/dac for my senn hd595s (&macbook pro, although do not need portable).

cool, ok, well if you look at my sig, I think you'll find i'm pretty close to the type you are looking for input from. I like to DIY, although amps are admittedly not my forte (more cables and headphone/ipod mods), I do have a buffal32 nearly done and I either own something similar or have built most on your list.

if portability isnt a concern

Quote:

Thanks to the very useful help of this forum I have narrowed it down to either a mini3/gamma1(dac) or a hifiman ef2, or a ppas/gamma1 or ibasso
d10 if I decide to spend a little more.

then see bold, this combo; or if you wait for the Gamma2 to finish beta testing, will fit the bill nicely out of those you mention. the D10 or its Dac-only successor due for release in september would be my next pick. the gamma1/2 combo does have a slight tendency towards sounding a little cold, but in combination with the PPA and your senns, should do nicely.

the mini^3 although a nice enough little portable for the money and fun enough little project, can be beaten handily for power and finesse by any of the others on your list IMO. well not stock D10, but with upgraded op-amps they are about even on the power front. so I would strike the mini^3 off your list, the PPA or the actual Lisa III schematic will provide more detail, better soundstage, slam and that nice bit of magical warmth that discrete output can give.

the D10 with upgraded opamps also beats the gamma1 to these ears, capable of more convincing soundstage. the Gamma2 may be anopther thing though as with parallel 8741's has the potential to be a bit of a giant killer.
Quote:

Any thoughts on the pros/cons of these amps/dacs in relation to each other? Haven't been able to get much comparative information as DIYers mostly listen to DIY and non DIYers tend not to have listened to DIY.

well IMO the gamma1/2/PPA is your best combo there; D10 second/ then maybe EF2, but I cant comment there.

if you dont need p[ortable, and you are prepared to stretch the budget a touch. I would loook into the twisted pear opus dac/PPA the opus uses the same wolfston dac as the D10 and gama2, but IMO has a slightly better implementation.

Quote:

I'm under the impression the gamma1 would be a better dac than the ef2, but am not sure about how the mini3 would compare with the ef2 amp, and not sure how the d10 and ppas/gamma1 would compare, but at least they are all excellent value for money (from what I've read) so I can't go too wrong.

Thanks
icon10.gif

yeah from reports, the EF2 dac is not its strong point, hope I didnt just provide you with more questions than answers there, I would look into the twisted pear dac kits if I were you; they are very well put together kits, dont have quite the amount of support as found on the AMB projects, but still good fun and they are certainly there if something goes wrong for you. just doesnt have the same step by step instructions as found with AMB.

you could put together a bare bones opus for about $300 all cased up (nothing fancy) not sure what a PPA runs, I adore my Lisa III
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back