mini3 with denon d5000?
Nov 8, 2008 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

misterDX

500+ Head-Fier
i got a d5000 free from a friend, but i dont think i have the appropriate level of equipment to bring out its potential. i am not sure if a mini^3 and a squeezebox 3 dac will be well enough to enjoy the headphone? if not, what are the cheapest ways to upgrade? i might try to sell off my mini3 if i have to....thanks for the help!

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 11
My suggestion would be to take a listen to it with your current setup and see if you like it. If you want an improvement or dislike the sound, then put up a budget and we will help you spend your money =).

Dave

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 11
What I found was, if I plugged the D5000s into something low powered, you don't get as much of their bass as is available. I had mine going through a Little Dot MKV for a while and was quite satisfied, but the bass wasn't as tight as I felt it should be. My latest amp, the Audio-gd C2C, seems to drive them with far more detail and authority and is the same price as the MKV.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess investing an amp for the d5000 is more feasible than investing in an DAC, am i correct? thanks

if you already have a decent amp, then the DAC is more important. so invest in a DAC instead, and you'll be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

that said, on my High Performance Mini^3 the Denons sound a bit sibilant, as do the rest of my headphones. i don't really like the sound of any portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back