Mini3 and Beyerdynamic DT880
Oct 26, 2008 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Catharsis

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I just recently purchased some DT880s (250ohm version), and an EMU 0404 USB.

I've heard terrific things about the Mini3 and the price seems to be a steal. I've thought about purchasing a Corda Arietta at $290 but I'm wondering if the extra expense of the Corda is really worth it.

I don't need a portable amp, but it just so happens that the Mini3 is very portable. Would I be better off with a desktop amp (SQ wise), if I don't plan on travelling with my 880s?

Thanks guys and girls.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 11
Doesn't the High Performance version of the Mini3 run off a 9V battery? That should be enough juice for the 880's shouldn't it?

I've heard that it powers Senn HD650 and AKG 701s with plenty of volume. Am I missing something?

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't the High Performance version of the Mini3 run off a 9V battery? That should be enough juice for the 880's shouldn't it?

I've heard that it powers Senn HD650 and AKG 701s with plenty of volume. Am I missing something?

You can try to find the truth
wink.gif

Plenty volume doesn't mean drive the cans successfully.
My mini3 never can drive the K701 to an acceptable level.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yeah, little battery powered amps won't have the voltage swing necessary for these kinda headphones. they will be loud enough, but not necessarily driven properly.

consider the CKKIII if you're looking for inexpensive DIY desktop amp that's not enormous or terribly expensive.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Well, it keeps coming back to the Corda Arietta for best value SS amp for the DT880. Many DIY jobs cost nearly as much as the Meier Audio mid-level amps.

I don't really want to get into tubes, because I listen to alot of electronica.

Am I making the right decision with the $290US Corda Arietta? Anything cheaper but nearly as good?

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 11
The CK2III is cheap enough for you. Rockhopper Audio is also a pre-built M3 which is around 320$ shipped.

I don't know if the Arrietta is a warm or bright amp. IMO, the DT880 needs a warm amp or it will kill your ears with its treble.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 11
What good value, (inexpensive), solid state amp would you recommend that has a warm sound?

I want to keep my hearing, but I also haven't found the bright Grado sound to be too ear shattering (which I've been listening to now for quite some time) .

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 11
The DT880's sound their best when driven from class A SS or tube amp. You get rich, textured and alluring sound then. I cannot comment the mini3's sound signature as I never tried it but the 9V supply voltage is enough to provide loud listening, and there will be no "driving" issue as high impedance headphones don't need much current. The bottleneck for them is the supply voltage if you really need to reach the maximum power handling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back