Mini Review: PHENIX G3
Jan 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #17 of 42
Well The DT880 II'd say has full or rounded bass with more impact. Some bass texture is lost, but the bass is very pleasant.

The DT770 has more "boom and "thump" IMO, but the DT880 has more bass in it's sound.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #18 of 42
I wonder how it plays with faster music like metal? I really like my sa5000 when it comes to metal because the double bass drum doesn't mask the midrange. I guess you could call it a thin sound? I'm wondering if the dt880 would still keep most of it's bass finesse with this amp? I would definitely label the dt770 pro as boomy, which works well with some music. One of my favorites is SYL's Alien. Even though the sa5000 runs circles around it in most of my music, it can't hit low and/or doesn't have enough bass to suck me into the album. dt770 is much more pleasing.

I guess I'll find out soon enough, i have one ordered. Couldn't resist the low price.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #19 of 42
You'll enjoy it a lot. It has a VERY tubey sound. The highs are very rolled, but makes a good late night amp.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #21 of 42
^ Indeed, I've heard the same and I have been contemplating trying a WooAudio amp..

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #22 of 42
Well, this was a huge disappointment. I finally get the thing and can't for the life of me plug in the left rca jack. So with my frustration of trying to force the damn sucker in, I nudge the volume knob and that comes loose. Must resist urge to slam into the floor... At least I got to listen to the right channel play for a minute, right?

2nd defective unit I get from these Chinese sellers, other one being some ibasso portable. Time to stop buying these. You get what you pay for I guess.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #23 of 42
WOW, it wouldn't fit? Mine fit perfectly. You could always have someone put new CA jacks in and put a new volume pot in there as well.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross Ergga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this was a huge disappointment. I finally get the thing and can't for the life of me plug in the left rca jack. So with my frustration of trying to force the damn sucker in, I nudge the volume knob and that comes loose. Must resist urge to slam into the floor... At least I got to listen to the right channel play for a minute, right?

2nd defective unit I get from these Chinese sellers, other one being some ibasso portable. Time to stop buying these. You get what you pay for I guess.

This was posted in another phenix thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6345301-post116.html

All the units Hz_joe had, had faulty pots which he changed for me before sending it out.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #25 of 42
Yes. Received mine in perfect shape from Hz_joe. I am tremendously impressed with this little amplifier and I have had many other (read: more expensive) tube amps over the past several years. It sounds wonderfully right with my Beyer DT880s and it really shocked me with my ATH-M50s. A true bargain and quite a surprise for me!

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Received mine in perfect shape from Hz_joe. I am tremendously impressed with this little amplifier and I have had many other (read: more expensive) tube amps over the past several years. It sounds wonderfully right with my Beyer DT880s and it really shocked me with my ATH-M50s. A true bargain and quite a surprise for me!

Which variant did you get....the three 6dj8????

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #28 of 42
Thanks JP I may just have to add an eBay search for some 12at7's
smile.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW, it wouldn't fit? Mine fit perfectly. You could always have someone put new CA jacks in and put a new volume pot in there as well.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either but it doesn't fit. I don't have any time to mess with it, so I'll probably just send it home for the time being and fix it later. I don't know where I'd send it to get it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back