"Mini"-Monitors for a space challenged desk
Sep 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 40
Sep 29, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #18 of 40
Aug 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #19 of 40
I hate to revive old threads, but its been a year now, and while I managed to get by using my main system turned up in the other room, that does not really meet my need all of the time.  So, I am open to any recommendations on products that are no larger than the A2's.  I have not been keeping up with what's been released in the last year, and was hoping that there might be something else that I should consider.  Any recommendations?

--Ken

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #20 of 40
Aug 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:
Hmm just thinking aloud: why not go passive bookshelf that are light and could be mounted easily on the wall with a bracket and a little T-amp perhaps?

Maybe even a TA2021 Tripath PCI amp that doesn't take up any desk space (in PC) and say some Polk M30IIs?

I appreciate the suggestion, but mounting on the wall is not an option.

--Ken

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #22 of 40
The A2s are really great for nearfield listening. I honestly suggest at least giving them a try. They really caught me by surprise with how big they sound despite their size.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:
The A2s are really great for nearfield listening. I honestly suggest at least giving them a try. They really caught me by surprise with how big they sound despite their size.

I am not questioning their sound quality, it's that I have a very crowded desk and was wondering what were my options in a smaller size.  At some point, the sound:size curve takes a big dip (at least until you enter the world of headphones 
smily_headphones1.gif
 ), and I am wondering if the A2's and the Tascams are about as small as one can get, and not have their hearing insulted.  But, new speakers are constantly being introduced, and it is always worth asking in case I missed something.

--Ken

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #24 of 40

Quote:
Quote:

I am not questioning their sound quality, it's that I have a very crowded desk and was wondering what were my options in a smaller size.  At some point, the sound:size curve takes a big dip (at least until you enter the world of headphones 
smily_headphones1.gif
 ), and I am wondering if the A2's and the Tascams are about as small as one can get, and not have their hearing insulted.  But, new speakers are constantly being introduced, and it is always worth asking in case I missed something.

--Ken

Ah, I understand. I think the A2s are fairly small, but I'm not quite sure how small you need. Hopefully someone else with more experience owning several different models of speakers will be able to help you.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #25 of 40
I picked up some  Insignia 6-1/2" Bass-Reflex Bookshelf Speakers  abou ba       two weeks ago and they sound great with a very detailed almost headphone like balanced sound while not being bass focused which helps relaxing with not bothering the neighbors. They have a very fast break in period of five hours when the sound really starts to envelople the room while sounding spectacular in the sweet spot in front of them in a toed in position atop Auralex Mopads. Am using them with a Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever for music and computer games and movies when the rare mood hits me not to use the dvd player.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+6-1/2%22+Bass-Reflex+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/7705307.p?id=1138085354138&skuId=7705307 

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:
I picked up some  Insignia 6-1/2" Bass-Reflex Bookshelf Speakers

I appreciate the recommendation, but I am looking for something smaller than the AudioEngine A2's, not larger.

--Ken

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #27 of 40

Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate the recommendation, but I am looking for something smaller than the AudioEngine A2's, not larger.

--Ken

Your welcome replytoken. Alot of interesting miniture designs on this thread. I know i might get tarred and feathered for suggesting this but have you looked into some Bose Companion II speakers? They're pretty small and they give a good sound though the bass can get pretty boomy if your into playing video games at night which is the reason mine are in storage due to neighbors. They're excellent for filling up a small room with full and balanced sound.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bose%26%23174%3B+-+Companion%26%23174%3B+2+Series+II+Multimedia+Speaker+System+(2-Piece)/7933686.p?id=1151657980013&skuId=7933686&st=bose companion &cp=1&lp=3 

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:
Your welcome replytoken. Alot of interesting miniture designs on this thread. I know i might get tarred and feathered for suggesting this but have you looked into some Bose Companion II speakers? 

While I am no fan of Bose, I will not tar and feather you.  But, as these are about the same size as the A2's and the TASCAM's, I would probably opt for either of them first.  Thanks again for the suggestions.

--Ken

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #29 of 40
I would definitely give those Tascams a go ... I absolutely love my VL-X5 to bits. Both in the past as near-field desktop speakers and now for A/V in my lounge.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #30 of 40

Quote:
Quote:

While I am no fan of Bose, I will not tar and feather you.  But, as these are about the same size as the A2's and the TASCAM's, I would probably opt for either of them first.  Thanks again for the suggestions.

--Ken

Ha ha :D Thanks, that would have been itchy to say the least. Best of luck on your fun hunt and may you be rewarded beyond measure for your patience replytoken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back