Mini headphone jack connection issues
Apr 18, 2009 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
My Ultra Micro Amp and Cardas 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor are quite young. Only 2-3 months. Already I'm having moments where I'm hearing sound through only one channel and have to slightly move the headphone adaptor or [twist/push on] the adaptor's connection to the amp.

I somehow doubt that this issue isn't really from a break in any of the wiring and am wondering if it will eventually pass.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 15
It's probably an issue with the 1/8 jack. Those things are notoriously easy to damage, and you might have to send it in to Headroom for repair.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 15
The problem is not there now when just a while ago, it would be very easy to trigger only one channel coming through. Now, no jiggling or turning of the connection does anything.

Could this be static related or something?

If I'm sending in for repairs secondary to damage, it would also be to get a replacement a desktop amp with Max module. I wouldn't want another microamp for it to break again when I try to be so nice to it. I wouldn't know what else to do with one.

I'm not sure if something is genuinely wrong so I'll keep at it for a while.

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 15
Sometimes the spring connector in the mini-jack can be pushed an reshaped to make better contact. The question is do you feel like opening the amp to check if this is the issue?

Since you are in Jamaica the transit time to send it back for a repair may be a few weeks. I would send an email to HeadRoom to see if you would not void the warranty in opening the amp to see if the mini-jack can be fixed by reshaping. I have done so and I have used very thin instruments like the ones used by dentist to clean/check your teeth.

Of course if HeadRoom takes your unit in trade for a bigger brother you should go for it.
wink.gif
Good luck.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 15
Take a look at the jack in question: is the front face of the jack behind, flush, or slightly protruding from the amp?

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the jack in question: is the front face of the jack behind, flush, or slightly protruding from the amp?

It slightly protrudes from the amp.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes the spring connector in the mini-jack can be pushed an reshaped to make better contact. The question is do you feel like opening the amp to check if this is the issue?

Only if it really isn't working. A transient issue isn't enough for me to go fiddling and potentially making things worse.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It slightly protrudes from the amp.

Damn, that's the way it should be. If it's recessed, sometime the plug won't go all the way in and you get the problem. Sound like you may have a bad jack.

Send mikeo@headphone.com an email if you want to arrange for repairs.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Damn, that's the way it should be. If it's recessed, sometime the plug won't go all the way in and you get the problem. Sound like you may have a bad jack.

Send mikeo@headphone.com an email if you want to arrange for repairs.

Hmmm. The curious thing is that the same thing happened with my P51 Mustang in that I was having issues with the headphone connection. At the time I thought the cable for the W3 had a problem where it met the jack connector. As we know, where flexible cable meets the rigid connector is a point of sorrows. Anyway, the problem simply went away and hasn't come back.

I'm hoping the same for this issue!!

I'll continue with it and see. If it continues to be a persistent problem, then I may well have to ship it back to you. What a pain in the rear it is though. It's a hassle proving ownership to avoid paying duty charges on it when it's returned to me.

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The curious thing is that the same thing happened with my P51 Mustang in that I was having issues with the headphone connection.

Was it the same headphones? I'd take a real close look at the plug. Sometimes they can get a little missaligned (not straight), especially if they are hand soldered and got a little hot, and that can cause the symptom.

Or, yeah, gremlins, nasty little buggers. Three Hail Mary's and a little incense, maybe it'll stay gone.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Was it the same headphones? I'd take a real close look at the plug. Sometimes they can get a little missaligned (not straight), especially if they are hand soldered and got a little hot, and that can cause the symptom.

Or, yeah, gremlins, nasty little buggers. Three Hail Mary's and a little incense, maybe it'll stay gone.

No, it's not the same cans. I use IEM's exclusively with the Mustang. On my home rig, it's the HD650's, and only on occasion when testing, an IEM.

Yeah. I'm hoping it'll stay away!!

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 15
This morning I decided to listen to my home rig. It had been inadvertently left on for most of the evening and overnight.

When I started playing, only one channel was audible. Interestingly, it wasn't the connection at the amp, but the connection of the headphone to the adaptor. One plug in and out .. it was fine. Couldn't duplicate the issue with all the twisting etc.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 15
It's definitely the connection to the Cardas 1/4 to 1/8" adaptor. It's not working well at all. Likely a bad adaptor.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 15
I didn't realize that I had gone so far beyond a year with my ultra micro stack.

The headphone jack, though working fine, seems to have too much mobility to it.  When a can is plugged in, I can wiggle the plug too much... perhaps.

Anyway, it's still working, and this is why I've grown to much prefer the sturdier 1/4" plug that I'd strongly recommend HeadRoom adopt for all their non-portable solutions... even if it's a small form factor model.  IMO, durability of connectors takes precedence over size.

BTW, I've always used either a Cardas or Grado 1/4 to 1/8" adapter in an effort to be as gentle as possible with the 1/8" plug.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #15 of 15
I had a really odd problem like this myself. A few months ago I found that the sound of my amp cut out as the Cardas interconnect was moved. I assumed that the interconnect was broken and was about to email Headroom about it. However the problem went away on its own and has never returned (so far). Time span of problem: a couple of hours, I think. At the time I thought I was going mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back