Mini Disc sound
Sep 16, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 27
"Does the MZ-N707 come with the remote with the LCD or the remote without the LCD?"

Depends on where you live. In North America, it's the remote without the LCD. I think in Europe and Asia, they get the LCD.

BTW - The n707 does not have the lineout option. You'd have to go up to the N1 for that.

LP4 is more like 64kbps MP3. Some music is fine, some really suffers. It's OK for jogging or non-careful listening.

At work, I listen to MDs recorded in LP2. LP2 is a great balance between quality and fitting stuff on a disc. I usually get 3 full albums or 2 full albums and half of another (if they are long) on each disc. I'll pack 2 discs for the day. Works great for me.

Even though the LP2 compression looks worse on paper than a 128Kpb MP3, it sounds much more musical to me. To me, there is something unnatural about MP3s played on a PC or portable.

SP mode is very high quality, but I rarely use it because of disc space.

Sep 16, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #17 of 27
Well, after doing some research and adding the info you've given me, it seems that getting an Archos would be better for me. It has the capacity I need, it can drive the HD 497's with it's amp, and it's cheeper, thanks anyway.

Sep 16, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #18 of 27
O, and, is there a site where I can find the exact amp power output of the Archos?

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #19 of 27
To me, my Sony E900 also sounded a bit "flat" at first, especially on the low end. I just tweaked the bass up one notch, and all was well. Be sure not to over-do it. We don't like bass boost. . .
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 27
I'm not gonna get a PMDP, it's not worth it for me. For what I want, the Archos is better. I would be willing to go with an PMDP if it had an equalizer, put out as much power as the Archos (so I wouldn't have to buy an amp) but there aren't any that have these features.

Sep 17, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse

The menu system is very hokey, and if I was being honest (do not let the T-Forums MD fanatics see this) the output of the Archos didn't sound so hot.

REALLY?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Whitebread, how about an iPod? 30mW x2 headphone out, (no line) and works with windows...

Plus it is far more stylish!!

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #22 of 27
Unfortunately not. It is probably the best choice for you... Have fun with your Archos!

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:01 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
REALLY?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Whitebread, how about an iPod? 30mW x2 headphone out, (no line) and works with windows...

Plus it is far more stylish!!

Well, there's this thing called recording.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 27
Don't suggest the iPod, it might appear too posh for the amount Whitebread pays for it! A complaint for all seasons, yes, I do that too.

Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
(do not let the T-Forums MD fanatics see this)

So you see why I don't participate in that forum
biggrin.gif

Of course, I myself might be the very reason we seem to be only attracting certain kinds of crowd into Head-Fi *commits Japonesque suicide*
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:25 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
Of course, I myself might be the very reason we seem to be only attracting certain kinds of crowd into Head-Fi *commits Japonesque suicide*
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #27 of 27
Yeah, no ipod. It's way overpriced and there are a few other inthings I don't like about it. I can get the Archos for 189 (15 recorder), can you find a better deal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back