Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
Jul 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #559 of 1,063

Quote:

My Muse 4x TDA1543 arived just yet. Plugged it in and it said "PFT" as my cd player started reading a disc. Smoke emited from the RCA connectors...... That was quick, only lasted like 10 second. Dire straits aint that bad to make a dac go up in smoke. Havent opened it up yet.
Gonna send that guy a email.

Looks like something is shorted.

One thing that got me worried, when I removed my TDA1543 chip heat sink, is that the ceramic bypass capacitors are sticking out too high and butting against the heat sink.
Could be that during shipping, the insulation of the bypass caps wore through and shorted to the heat sink.

If the capacitors interfered with the heat sink being in contact with some of the TDA1543 chips, that may also contribute to some of the premature failures.

You could remove the heat sink and check it out.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #560 of 1,063
How hot is hot with these things? Am using a 12v psu and the case feels warm after an hour or so, but not what I'd call hot...

Pretty happy with the sound though, especially playing apple lossless files though Audivarna, a really nice open source player for Mac OS.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #561 of 1,063
Any of you guys had this dac die using an after market psu?
When i first got one of these several months ago, it ran warm/hot with the original psu,which later died after 2 weeks use(left on 24/7).
I then replaced it with a maplins 12v psu ,since then it never gets more than warm to touch,
3 months later i bought another of these dac's with elna silmic 2 output caps,i ran it off the maplin psu with no problems.

I measured the output of the maplins psu which was running at 11.98v,the psu that came with my second has never been used but i checked the output at 12.35v.
could it be the cheapo psu's that come with these units that's the culprit for all these failures?.
I realise the psu's that come with these may be different, as here in the UK we run from 240v,but its an idea.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #562 of 1,063
[size=medium]
Quote:
Any of you guys had this dac die using an after market psu?
When i first got one of these several months ago, it ran warm/hot with the original psu,which later died after 2 weeks use(left on 24/7).
I then replaced it with a maplins 12v psu ,since then it never gets more than warm to touch,
3 months later i bought another of these dac's with elna silmic 2 output caps,i ran it off the maplin psu with no problems.

I measured the output of the maplins psu which was running at 11.98v,the psu that came with my second has never been used but i checked the output at 12.35v.
could it be the cheapo psu's that come with these units that's the culprit for all these failures?.
I realise the psu's that come with these may be different, as here in the UK we run from 240v,but its an idea.

My dac died after 10 seconds. There are several other that did too but not that soon. Mine has the doubtfull honor of record holder.
Its best to use a 9v psu it seems. I'm in the netherlands so our voltage is the same. Oh and i used the dacmagic's 12v psu, so its not related to that.

I got an email saying i have to return it. Gonna do that this week if time alows. Next one will be fed with 9v for sure.
[/size]

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #564 of 1,063
Alright well, i figured $60 is worth it to see how this NOS sounds and if the metrum octave will be my cup of tea.  I checked the DC offset on my amp and it starts highish (30mv+) then the meter counts down to about 5mv and hovers there throughout the powerband.  Is this too much that i shouldn't short the output caps upon arrival?  This was on the 200mv setting, anything higher and it was 0.0.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #565 of 1,063

Quote:
Alright well, i figured $60 is worth it to see how this NOS sounds and if the metrum octave will be my cup of tea.  I checked the DC offset on my amp and it starts highish (30mv+) then the meter counts down to about 5mv and hovers there throughout the powerband.  Is this too much that i shouldn't short the output caps upon arrival?  This was on the 200mv setting, anything higher and it was 0.0.

With the design of this DAC, there is always a huge DC offset before the output caps. I would not bypass it unless you know your power amp has input coupling capacitors.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #566 of 1,063

Quote:

Scottiebabie wrote:

"Muse's cap decoupled (ie.short'd out) measures a full 3.7v DC. yes thats a 3700mv for those of u not quite into the full volt. LOL! on the other hand, non of the amps (that i have & am using the Muse with) measures any substantial DC - 1-10mv +-1mv at worst"
Muse's cap decoupled (ie.short'd out) measures a full 3.7v DC. yes thats a 3700mv for those of u not quite into the full volt. LOL! on the other hand, non of the amps (that i have & am using the Muse with) measures any substantial DC - 1-10mv +-1mv at worst

Źródło: http://www.audiostereo.pl/index.php?app=members&module=messaging§ion=view&do=showConversation&topicID=168501&sort=&st=0
Copyright © Audiostereo.pl
Muse's cap decoupled (ie.short'd out) measures a full 3.7v DC. yes thats a 3700mv for those of u not quite into the full volt. LOL! on the other hand, non of the amps (that i have & am using the Muse with) measures any substantial DC - 1-10mv +-1mv at worst"

Źródło: http://www.audiostereo.pl/index.php?app=members&module=messaging§ion=view&do=showConversation&topicID=168501&sort=&st=0
Copyright © Audiostereo.pl
Muse's cap decoupled (ie.short'd out) measures a full 3.7v DC. yes thats a 3700mv for those of u not quite into the full volt. LOL! on the other hand, non of the amps (that i have & am using the Muse with) measures any substantial DC - 1-10mv +-1mv at worst"

Copyright © Audiostereo.pl"

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #567 of 1,063
Scottiebabie wrote:

"Muse's cap decoupled (ie.short'd out) measures a full 3.7v DC. yes thats a 3700mv for those of u not quite into the full volt. LOL! on the other hand, non of the amps (that i have & am using the Muse with) measures any substantial DC - 1-10mv +-1mv at worst"

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #568 of 1,063
Scottiebabie wrote

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #570 of 1,063
Haha! 

AC-AC 12V (or any volt) will KILL your Muse DAC. Very efficiently. In ten seconds. I tried a 9V AC (without knowing) on the first muse which already had malfunctioned. It started to smell funny. 

Keep to DC output, positive center - and 9V

Quote:
You used the dacmagic's psu on this dac?
You realise that the dacmagic psu puts out a/c not d/c.
Definitely not suitable as far as i know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back