mini amp by fix-up
Oct 12, 2002 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI ALL: I got my separated wife a mini amp from fix-up and put a 9 volt batt in it. We then plugged it into a mini disc and all I can say is wow. Unreal, unbelievable, how does it do it. I had my Max Out META42 with me and we a/b them. My META42 had a bigger sound stage and overall bigger sound but this little amp was holding its own? We used the koss-35 and we both were saying wow wow wow. This is right out of the box. She is now burning in the mini amp for 48 hours and then I guess say a louder wow.

Oct 12, 2002 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 38
Separated wife??
confused.gif
confused.gif

I have a feeling I have to say sorry for asking
frown.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 12, 2002 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 38
As a scientist, a research engineer and an audio hobbyist, I'm very happy to see my amps get more and more appreciated. All the credits go to Walt Jung, the most outstanding op-amp audio researcher. Both meta42 and my amps are based on his op-amp audio theory. Even myself cannot believe how could just two op amps together make a such good sounding. Behind the simple circuit, the theory is quite complicated though. My contribution is just a thorough understanding of his theory and a very unique implementation. Thank to his outstanding research, we finally can have the best sound without having to pay and carry big. If you have a chance to hear the latest super mini that has the same feedback loops of mini, you'll say wow even louder because of its tiny size.

Here is the link to Walt's articles. He also has two books on op amp audio, but only these articles have his most latest and greatest achivements. You can see his photo there and you'll see he looks indeed like a nice and great guy.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/I...extension=html

Oct 12, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 38
a lot of this mini amps like fix-up and the meta42 is getting lots of rave. what ive not been able to establish is how they really sound.. where are they in turn of sound quality compared with the Porta Corda/Total Airheard and Sudgen Headmaster/Headroom MAX/Corda HP-1.

Are these little critters really comparable to the big boys?

Oct 12, 2002 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

what ive not been able to establish is how they really sound.. where are they in turn of sound quality compared with the Porta Corda/Total Airheard and Sudgen Headmaster/Headroom MAX/Corda HP-1.

The reason I guess is that most Meta42 buyers could not afford those gears and therefore could not have a chance to compare. Also, I guess, some big brothers don't like such comparisons. The following post did mention Headroom Supreme (listed at $449). Unfortunately that thread was blocked right after that post. A coincidence?
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...943#post195943

Oct 12, 2002 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 38
Hmmm.. hope I didn't get anyone in trouble, but it does seem suspicious after 3 weeks to (as someone else pointed out) to shut it down at this point. I called it as I saw it in my posts; this is great work by a talented designer. The sound out of these little devices goes beyond technical and into the realm of magic, as they seem to have that special extra something (passion, art?) in the sound that many people are recognizing and especially hearing! New and different has many times created havoc and envy with the status quo.

Regards.
Bob

Oct 12, 2002 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 38
Fixup
HI: Now that you upgraded the super mini you say that its a wow. But how can the super mini with 3 AAA batt. compare to the mini with a 9 volt batt. Wont the mini with the 9 volt batt be a lot stronger and volume louder than the 3 AAA batt super mini?

Oct 12, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 38
LTUCCI,
The magic is the op amps and the best use of them. The first op amp (AD823) is a FET type, so the sound is tube alike. The second one (LMH6643) is a hi-current (110mA!), rail-to-rail type (both input and output), which can use supplied voltage most efficiently. For example, 4V can drive a pair of HD580/600 to painful loudness without distortion. LMH6643 does provide 4V to its load from just 5V, while other old op-amps such as the AD812 in Walt's original circuit can only do 3V from 5V. Now the super mini has the identical circuit of the mini (this is truly my magic, you cannot imagine how many resistors in that small IC socket) and thus puts all possible errors under control, which is very important when supply voltage is low and there is no much headroom.
In the old days, rather high voltage was required to have good sound. With the advancement in op amps driven by explosive mobile market, now we can do sound right at low voltage. The fact that AH, TA and PC cannot do 4.5V well does not neccessorily mean it is impossible.
LTUCCI, never judge a moden amp sorely by its power rating!!!
As mentioned by bobjew, audio is technology and meanwhile art, because music it serves is art. I love both technology and art. I still remember one of the comments to my bachelor thesis was "this work made programming like art".

Oct 12, 2002 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 38
FIXUP: Does this mean that the super mini gos as loud with 3 AAA batt as the mini with a 9 volt batt. I am using the koss portapros in the mini but at full volume. Please respond for I just might get a mini or super mini for myself. Which one do you recommend for me.
What confuses me is that I have the volume all the way up on the 9 volt batt mini for my koss-35 at 60 ohms.
Now you say the the super mini with 3 AAA batt will drive my 300 ohm 580s to insane levels? Would you please respond to this.

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Fixup
The reason I guess is that most Meta42 buyers could not afford those gears and therefore could not have a chance to compare. Also, I guess, some big brothers don't like such comparisons. The following post did mention Headroom Supreme (listed at $449). Unfortunately that thread was blocked right after that post. A coincidence?

ive read that and its related thread. I thought Jude made it pretty clear on why it was closed and not to cover up for the forum sponsors. I've always believe the forum to be fairly impartial and jude an honest character. In fact, I am looking forward to Jude's comments on his maxed out meta42.

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Ya know, now you're pissin' me off. If you ask me, now you're being a complete ass.

Yes, if the last post in that thread mentioned a Supreme, then that was a coincidence. You've been registered here since the first month Head-Fi opened. Have you been coming to the forums much in all this time? You tell me, Fixup, if you think I've conducted myself in these forums with so little integrity that you'd suggest what you're suggesting? Stop being pissy because that thread was closed. I've explained very clearly why it was. Do you want me to explain it to you again in this thread? And I also happened to mention in another thread earlier that my new hopped-up META42 is currently my best portable amp -- but why the hell should I feel I even have to explain that to you?

Oct 12, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 38
LTUCCI,

This is my last post to this forum and I hope I can explain well about power rating and gain of an amp.
The amps have gain of 5, which is very popular for most phones and sources. To drive Sennhiser and other hi-impetance phones, this gain may be not enough if your source's output is also low. So, even if an amp can go much loud without distortion, the signal level cannot go that high level because the signal is not amplified enough.
If the volume is not loud enough, then you need an amp that has a higher gain. That's it. Both super mini and mini can be set an gain other than 5. Maybe 10 is right for you.

If the sound get distorted at high volume, then that amp is not powerful enough.

Good bye, LUTCCI, and all your guys!

Oct 12, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 38
Fixup
HI: Thank you for your response. I hate to see you go and no longer post here. Ma-by in a little time you will change your mine about this. I think I read the post that has you feeling hurt. Sorry if that is the case. Hope to see you post again at a latter time . Good luck and I will miss you.

Oct 13, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #14 of 38
Fixup,
I'm sorry to see you go too. I really think you are a nice guy and your products deserve praise, especially your supermini amp. I hope you will come back to this forum and benefit our community in a latter time. Bye.
frown.gif

Quote:

a lot of this mini amps like fix-up and the meta42 is getting lots of rave. what ive not been able to establish is how they really sound.. where are they in turn of sound quality compared with the Porta Corda/Total Airheard and Sudgen Headmaster/Headroom MAX/Corda HP-1.

Are these little critters really comparable to the big boys

I think it is more refine than the Total airhead, but not up to the level of Creek OBH-11. Still, I prefer my Meta42 by Tangent with my AD845 much more. Just my honest thought.

Jude,
Thanks for this very informative forum. My music will never sound so good, if I didn't find this forum. Thanks again.

Oct 13, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

LTUCCI,

This is my last post to this forum and I hope I can explain well about power rating and gain of an amp.

Oh dear me, this is a bit sad.

I read the long thread about why the mini-META thread was closed. As a newbie here I probably don't understand all the politics well enough, but I reckon in the end I understood the reason for closing the thread.

Perhaps I can also understand that Fixup is a bit miffed, but on balance I think he was wrong to take a snipe at Jude. I think paying to use Mall-Fi would be cool on Fixup's part. I also think discussion of the mini-META should continue unimpeded as it is most certainly a very hot topic, so PLEASE, Fixup, don't go away!

BTW, I bought a super mini-META as a result of all this discussion (on the 6th Oct - and I've got my fingers well crossed hoping mine wasn't built before the new design went into production!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back