Mini^3 initial check help!
Oct 29, 2008 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

aphexii

500+ Head-Fier
Forgive my newbness, I'm still learning how to use half these tools
wink.gif

Quote:

With your multimeter set to Ohms mode (use the lowest resistance range on a manual-ranging meter), check for short circuits between the points listed below. If you read less than a few Ohms for any of these, then there is a short circuit. Carefully locate the short (such as a solder bridge) and fix it.

* Battery + and - contacts
* U4 pins 7 and 4
* U4 pin 7 and IG
* U4 pin 4 and IG
* U5 pins 8 and 4
* U5 pin 8 and IG
* U5 pin 4 and IG
* Output jack tip (OL) to sleeve (OG)
* Output jack ring (OR) to sleeve (OG)
* Output jack tip (OL) to IG
* Output jack ring (OR) to IG
* Output jack sleeve (OG) to IG

I have a nice craftsman auto ranging multimeter. From what I understand, I flip it to Ohms mode (0.L shows up on the display), then I press one tip to each of the above. If anything shows up other than 0.L I am ok? Is that right? Also, does it matter which color tip I use on each point (red/black)?

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by heatmizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
red and black oriantation won't matter for ohms testing

this isn't technically true once the components are in a circuit. For example, transistors and diodes can effect ohm readings. Probably doesn't matter for the original poster, but just a point that may need clarification.

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 10
YES! FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

But now I have another slight issue. At low volumes the left channel seems to get louder faster, the louder it gets the more even the volume gets. It also seems to cut in and out (loud/soft real quick) at low volumes.

Any ideas?

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 10
Ok, i think its gotta be something with the volume jack (i assume), if i pull up on the knob ever so slightly, it works fine. As soon as I let go, the left channel gets VERY loud (even at min volume).

Does the fact that i'm running it outside a case right now (on a piece of wood) have anything to do with it?

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most likely bad solder joint on the volume pot.

And you are 100% correct sir. Thank you!!

I reflowed the output jack first (wasn't happy with my work there) and figured i might as well do the volume at the same time. Right after I finished desoldering the volume i saw your update, got excited, reflowed the joints, crossed my fingers and WOOOHOOO! Worked!

Thanks so much for the quick reply!!! Can't wait to hear these with my ESW9's. I'm also visiting my dad this weekend, were gonna get started on working on our Hammond clone out of wood, hopefully can build something nice.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back