Million dollar stereos..
Nov 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #33 of 77
I just added up my spending and luckily it's only at $9,995.  So, no doubt here...LOL

Just once, I would like to hear one of these systems to dispel all my doubts.

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #34 of 77

Quote:
...and there's still hunger in Africa.

That was my very first thought when I read the title of this thread...
This is BULL... If i had a million dollars given to me and I had the choice of taking a million dollar setup or getting a $100 set up and the rest going to less fortunate I would take option 2.
To anyone who has such a setup, unless you have donated around a million to help the world on top of your million dollar setup you are selfish and I wish you a very lonely and miserable life.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #36 of 77

Quote:
I want internal pics then I'll make a guess :p. The parts used don't look so cheap, so given the reseller discount and reseller's cut, I would guess maybe the price/value isn't that bad.  I'm a little suspicious though, I wonder how they get 90khz with tweeters with a FR of 4khz-45khz.

That's easy! 45KHz * 2 = 90KHz!

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #39 of 77

Quote:
I don't know about that.I heard they licensed Coconut Audio technology that opens a wormhole into another dimension.

Maybe they used an entire boatload of Lessloss Blackbodys, IsoNatu Pillars of Darkness, and VPI magic bricks. Or they're using an ultra tweeter, available from the people who brought you brilliant pebbles and the clever little clock. But the ultra tweeter is apparently 1 GHz plus.

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #40 of 77
Its just for the prestige of owning more than 1 million dollar system, some people have so much money they feel the need to spend it in the most expensive way and believe they got the world top best thing.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #41 of 77
I preface my post by stating that I am not out to lecture on how one ought to spend their money.  Rather, I just want to put yours truly's views forward for your consideration; be gentle to me :)  I make the assumption that most people who are reading this forum aren't in financial hardship to the point of starvation.

I don't buy the argument that if one can afford a $1M system they ought to donate that amount or thereabouts to needy people because it will change the world.  Hear me out.  In my humble opinion it's all relative.  To the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, $10M is pocket change.  To the chairman of any listed company, $100k is pocket change;  To a cardiothoracic surgeon practising privately, $10k is pocket change;  To a well-to-do family $100 is pocket change;  To a hungry audiophile student, $10 is pocket change.  Well to a starving African child, nothing is pocket change.  So what's my point?  To the archetypal starving African child, we are actually spending a lofty equivalent of the magical $1M dollars whenever we spend any money on audio equipment.  I propose to you the following: instead of criticising others for their seemingly absurd expenditures, inspect oneself for our own expenditures for no doubt someone else will find them just as absurd, and quite rightly so too.

Anyway, I'm not completely convinced that audio companies have to charge such a huge premium/mark-up on goods, to the point where I sometimes question their business ethics.  The same can be said for every other industry in the world though.

EDIT:  Upon further inspection of the website, I find myself progressively disgusted at not the number of digits in those price tags, but their business model.  It would seem that the price takes precedence over the actual sonic merits, and their average customer probably doesn't care much for the sound quality as long as they are satisfied with the amount they spent on it.  It can't possibly sound that bad, can it? :) I guess as audiophiles we have the opposite approach.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #42 of 77

Quote:

EDIT:  Upon further inspection of the website, I find myself progressively disgusted at not the number of digits in those price tags, but their business model.  It would seem that the price takes precedence over the actual sonic merits, and their average customer probably doesn't care much for the sound quality as long as they are satisfied with the amount they spent on it.  It can't possibly sound that bad, can it? :) I guess as audiophiles we have the opposite approach.

You got it there. As far as I can see, there are two types of audiophiles. There are those who are in this hobby for the love of music, for fun, and to learn new things. But then there are those who are only "audiophiles" because it has a certain element of upper-class prestige and mystique. I have a general dislike for the latter type.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #43 of 77
Agreed with milkpowder. I would wager that our reaction to the idea of a $1,000,000 stereo is about the same as telling anyone else on my college campus about the idea that someone could spend $1,000 on a pair of headphones. In a college student's mind, that could buy A) a lot of beer or B) 10,000 packs of ramen noodles. its all based on perspective. Do I think its exessive? Yeah, but can I blaim them for making enough money that they can do this? No. Do I think they should be required to give X% of their earnings to charity for every "frivilous" purchase? Not at all, because 95% of purchases in any non-subsistance economy could be considered "frivilous". We sit on thousand dollar computers buying dozens of cd's, cable bills, cellphones, cars, etc.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #44 of 77
I'll just mirror what the last few posts have said and say that I bet there are people that would read through Head-Fi and be disgusted at the money that many of us spend on our hobby. It's a matter of perspective. There are selfish and generous people from all walks of life. Even on Head-Fi.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #45 of 77

Quote:
Quote:

You got it there. As far as I can see, there are two types of audiophiles. There are those who are in this hobby for the love of music, for fun, and to learn new things. But then there are those who are only "audiophiles" because it has a certain element of upper-class prestige and mystique. I have a general dislike for the latter type.

No doubt the same upper-class prestige and mystique that the High End Forum offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back