Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Feb 13, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #4,696 of 7,277
Ok I thought it was in my head....but the left channel is slightly weaker than the right. I pulled my headphones (Senn HD215) off and swapped them around, the difference is very noticeable when you A/B it like that.
Any suggestions where to look for the fault? I was very careful and inspected every solder along the way - could it be the wires connecting the RCA inputs to the board?

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #4,698 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliphcient /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I thought it was in my head....but the left channel is slightly weaker than the right. I pulled my headphones (Senn HD215) off and swapped them around, the difference is very noticeable when you A/B it like that.
Any suggestions where to look for the fault? I was very careful and inspected every solder along the way - could it be the wires connecting the RCA inputs to the board?

UKToecutter's advice is good. However, keep in mind that there are no tubes left to provide matching.
frown.gif
You may be able to adjust the input resistors to a higher rating (I provided two choices in the kit - 50K and 100K). Using higher value resistors would move the typical volume setting to a point higher in the volume pot's travel - where it may be better matched.

Hopefully, you're experiencing the imbalance in the pot. CD players tend to have fairly high outputs and earphones are pretty efficient. The combination may mean that you're in the very low end of pot travel and the little Alpha is not matched very well between channels at that point.

P.S. Just a word to the wise - don't ever have your headphones plugged in when you power it up. Power it up first, make sure the tubes are warmed up, then plug in your headphones.

Strictly speaking, there is 19V on the headphone output until the output coupling caps charge up. The SSMH is a bit forgiving in this regard because the power supply takes a while for the voltage to develop. If you had done that with another OTL tube amp or hybrid without a relay-delay, you might've blown out your headphones.
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #4,699 of 7,277
Quote:

Just started to test mine after building thisevening. Took a bit more than I expected, maybe 10 hours all told. I'm new to DIY audio stuff and literally had to wipe the dust off my soldering iron from highschool.

This is my first experience with tubes so I wasn't sure if i'd seated them hard enough or not. Turned on the amp - LEDs lit up nice and green - turned on my old discman (ready to be sacrificed if I'd wired something up wrong) and plugged in some el-cheapo headphones (again incase something went wrong). At first...silence....then a gentle glow from the tubes! ALL WAS NOT LOST! faintly at first, then slowly louder it came - the music!

I popped the earphones in for a moment to see what sort of volume this beast was going to give me...and I was almost in tears. I have never heard a soundstage like it. My post count and join date are probably very good indicators that I am damn new to this, but what an eye opener. If this is what's on offer from a relatively cheap amp, cheap source and cheap headphones...I know where all my money will be going soon
biggrin.gif

Thanks Tom for making the kit available and getting it all the way out to Australia for me
biggrin.gif

Ah, yes! That sweet moment when you turn the amp on and the tubes soft glow starts coming up.... Congratulations on your build!

As to the channel-imbalance issue and related to TomB's comment on the output of your portable CD player. Try lowering the volume in your CD player, and turning it up in the amp. Sure, this will worsen the signal-noise ratio a bit, but hopefully not much, and it will allow you to turn up the pot to a point where the channels are better matched.

If this doesn't work, well then you can try the input resistors or get a better volume pot. Try reading this post and the ensuing discussion.

cheers!

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #4,702 of 7,277
Quote:

I also noticed this with my SSMH. As mentioned, try swapping the tubes and waiting for the tubes warming-up. The channel would be much more balanced.

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #4,703 of 7,277
Hi guys,

I have been reading up on the cmoy build, a few guys on recommended on another forum. I don't really wanna build a cmoy as I will have no use for it.

I have never even held a soldering gun before, is this easy enough for someone who's most electrical experience is building his own pc's, and thats just mechano
tongue.gif

Am I going to be biting of more than i can chew?

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #4,704 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

I have been reading up on the cmoy build, a few guys on recommended on another forum. I don't really wanna build a cmoy as I will have no use for it.

I have never even held a soldering gun before, is this easy enough for someone who's most electrical experience is building his own pc's, and thats just mechano
tongue.gif

Am I going to be biting of more than i can chew?

I wouldn't say so no, I'd just practise soldering random wires together and things first, there's nothing at all complex with the soldering needed to do one of these P2P.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #4,705 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by simwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say so no, I'd just practise soldering random wires together and things first, there's nothing at all complex with the soldering needed to do one of these P2P.

ok, my Dad is pretty handy and I need to learn these things anyway. My uncle is a sparky so should be able to help out too.

Where can I source parts in England?

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #4,706 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, my Dad is pretty handy and I need to learn these things anyway. My uncle is a sparky so should be able to help out too.

Where can I source parts in England?

Farnell, maplin, RS etc.

Tubes and PSU will have to come from elsewhere though, PSU's are available through eBay. Tubes may not be so easy to find anymore.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #4,707 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by simwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Farnell, maplin, RS etc.

Tubes and PSU will have to come from elsewhere though, PSU's are available through eBay. Tubes may not be so easy to find anymore.

ah thanks man!

been on the bay and found this psu:
Quote:

Original Cisco Systems AC Adapter
Model: EADP-18FB B
P/N: 34-1977-05

INPUT: 100V-240V~ 0.5A, 50-60Hz
OUTPUT: 48V 0.38A
Connecter size: Int. Diameter: 2.50mm
Ext. Diameter: 5.50mm

Dimensions: 100 x 54 x 28 mm

It's a tenner, buy it now. Is it the right one?

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #4,709 of 7,277
Hi people, I've read most of the thread but not all since its imposible. My build is complete and it's working as it should. But the tubes are not lightening too much, the mosfets are ok, the sound it's great but the I can barely see any light coming from them. They are a pair of Hungary made Tungsram. Should I worry about that?

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #4,710 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by quarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi people, I've read most of the thread but not all since its imposible. My build is complete and it's working as it should. But the tubes are not lightening too much, the mosfets are ok, the sound it's great but the I can barely see any light coming from them. They are a pair of Hungary made Tungsram. Should I worry about that?

And you're sure they are 19J6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back