Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Dec 10, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #4,291 of 7,277
Looks like there are enough PCB's for 35 more kits. After that, no more PCB's. There will be some tubes and a few power supplies left over after that. I'm ordering the next batch of Hammond cases this week, so maybe the middle of January for more kits?

I had also talked about changing up the capacitors a bit for some larger boutique ones, but it's not as many kits as I was hoping for. Best to leave the high-dollar boutique stuff to the P2P versions, I think.

Also, I'll repeat this when the listing goes on sale, but tube matching will have to be first come first serve, with the following priorities until they run out:
1. Matched construction, matched transconductance, matched brand *,
2. Matched construction, matched transconductance, and
3. Matched construction.

So, the earliest orders will get #1, later ones #2, and the last kits to be ordered will get #3 until that's no longer possible or the kits are all sold, whichever comes first. I'll give a more specific notice after the holidays - as I did before.

This will be it for the Starving Student PCB unless more tubes show up in volume.
frown.gif

* Remember, every 19J6 was constructed by RCA anyway.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #4,292 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by choka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i doubt it is the cable because i was using the same cable with another amp. i actually moved the original amp out of the way and put the ssmh in that location and connected with the same cables.

anyway i'll try some more grounding and other stuff and see what works.

Remember that NOT EVERYTHING in the circuit is within the metal case. In the case of this amp the tubes are unshielded and thus sensitive to picking up noise.

cheers!

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #4,293 of 7,277
Not sure if it belongs here, but is anyone willing to make one(or a few?). I'm quite a newbie at DIY stuff, and definitely won't be able to make my own. Shipped to Canada, or locally, would be great.

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #4,294 of 7,277
I would build one for you, but I'm in Australia.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #4,295 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This will be it for the Starving Student PCB unless more tubes show up in volume.
frown.gif

Noooooooooooo! Say it isn't so!
frown.gif

That said, any plans on making an (un)official version with the 12AU7 or is that it for the SSMH?

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #4,296 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noooooooooooo! Say it isn't so!
frown.gif

That said, any plans on making an (un)official version with the 12AU7 or is that it for the SSMH?

I don't know. That's definitely it for a 19J6 SSMH PCB. I guess Dsavitsk and I will be discussing the rest.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #4,298 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on how the case is connected (or not) to the circuit and earth ground. FWIW pretty much all of my audio equipment gets hosed by my iPhone within a couple feet, which extends to 5+ feet when it's actively transmitting.

Yeah if I am not paying attention and have my phone at my PC, I get some great buzzing that is almost 2x the volume my music is at when I am about to get a text.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #4,299 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember that NOT EVERYTHING in the circuit is within the metal case. In the case of this amp the tubes are unshielded and thus sensitive to picking up noise.

The other amp I have is the Bravo tube amp and it is pretty much naked, and I do not pick up noise on that one, which is something I found very strange.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #4,300 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a perfect symptom of not burning it in enough. (Yes, I know that's a controversial topic - please read the SSMH PCB Build thread!) Both the Nichicon KW's and the Wima's will have a prominent "bass fog" the first few hours that you run the amp. Let it run for a day or so and it will open up enough to surprise you.

I now have around 10 hours total on this amp and the muddiness has gone away. I have other amps to A-B it so I can say it is not my ears or brain adapting to the amp. Burn-in is real.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4,301 of 7,277
Quote:

I now have around 10 hours total on this amp and the muddiness has gone away. I have other amps to A-B it so I can say it is not my ears or brain adapting to the amp. Burn-in is real.

Yep, but when people start talking about something not sounding good until it's had 200 hours or more, I draw the line.
wink.gif

As you noticed, caps will definitely improve over a 24-hour period (some less, some more), but I don't think it goes much beyond that.

Glad to hear the sound is rounding up nicely for you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #4,302 of 7,277
Quote:

The other amp I have is the Bravo tube amp and it is pretty much naked, and I do not pick up noise on that one, which is something I found very strange.

Definitely circuit/tube dependent. I can use a (literally) naked PIMETA v1 in the office without it picking up any noise at all. But when I use my Starving Student it picks up the cell phone signals from people walking by the aisle, around 4 feet away.

Just try waving your hand real close to the 19J6
smily_headphones1.gif
you'll definitely hear some induced noise there.

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back