Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 22, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #16 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I am going to try it... just bought the power cord!

Same here! I'm going to be needing an amp soon, and this sounds like an enjoyable (and affordable) way to get one. I'm going to wait until after finals are over when I've got a little more time and money, but this should be a fun project
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #17 of 7,277
Just one thing to bear in mind for newer folks who might be considering this project as their first: I like to tell people that the wiring or pcb stuffing is generally only half the battle in any given project. The casework and fabrication can often be the more challenging aspect of a build and shouldn't be overlooked.

For this particular project you'll need to be able to drill a few larger holes whether you want to mount the tube sockets from below (as I did) or from above (as Pete did). If you choose to do it like I did you have be very careful about how you drill the hole and even if you top-mount the sockets you'll be needing to drill a 3/4" hole. That's not a size commonly found in most drill sets and really the best way to do it is to use a stepped bit. I did all of the chassis fabrication for my amp with just a cordless drill and two stepped bits to prove that it can be done but it does take some planning and tools. Of course you'll want all these tools for the inevitable "next project" so that's hardly a deterrent.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #19 of 7,277
Definately going to build about two of these I figure, one for me, one for my father whom I've been wanting to do something for. Ordered two of the adapters, they really are going fast.

If you really are a starving student, perhaps there is a woodshop or metal shop nearby to do your case work at for free.
smily_headphones1.gif
Spent all day in one today, its a good feeling.

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #21 of 7,277
Brilliant. Looks like i finally found a mini project for the summer to run along side my speaker build. The price is great. No doubt it will go up a bit being in england and all... but ho hum.

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #23 of 7,277
Quick thought, pmillett ... you say yours is in a wallet tin, what are the dimensions? Im not sure i get the scale of how small this might be...

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #25 of 7,277
It can drive K1000s, so IEMs may be borderline(Keep the volume down). But the price is right to give it a try.

Thanks Pete for another fun design! Its next on my list, and the tubes should be around for a while before becoming scarce. :wink:

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #28 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick thought, pmillett ... you say yours is in a wallet tin, what are the dimensions? Im not sure i get the scale of how small this might be...

Mine is 7x5x2 to give you some perspective, clearly it could be a lot smaller and still be easily workable.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #29 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just thought, being low distortion and about noiseless, put a 1/8th jack on it... anyone think it could be alright with IEMS (IE. UE11)?

I would entirely depend on your source. If your source has a fixed output at a minimum you'd probably want to choose a better pot than the one in the BOM to ensure that you don't have channel matching issues. But really, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for IEMs given that they need such little amplification anyway. Just my 2¢.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #30 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good lord! Someone bought the last 85 of the AC Adapters! Looks like someone is looking to cash in if you ask me...
frown.gif

It was bought by Andover Network Liquidators at Computer Liquidators - Network Liquidation - Asset Recovery, so I think they might show up again there.

Don't worry, if they don't come up again. The power supply is an easy project

Users who are viewing this thread

Back