1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp

First

Back
471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480
  1. tomb
    I'm not sure the 33VDC supply will be enough. The resistors and other parts of the circuit are designed for the 48VDC power supply. The power supply is easily available on ebay. Just search for "cisco psa18u-480" on ebay and you'll get many economical choices.

As for the hum, I suggest you find out what you did wrong with the CMoy before you try building another amp. Maybe thousands of CMoys have been built without any hum and noise. The CMoy design uses batteries. It's sort of difficult to get hum from a battery.

mcmillant likes this.
  2. mcmillant
    oh yeah i use a 12v ac dc converter power so get the hum, i testing it with 16850 batteries is ok, the hum very low.
    And about irf510, can i repalce it with irf610 or irf520 ?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  3. onesojourner
    Could some one take a look at my mess and help me troubleshoot it? When I plug in some cheap ear buds all I get is a light hum. I am not sure where to begin the troubleshooting process. The pot does not appear to have any effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. tomb
    Print out the Starving Student schematic. Look at each leg and connection in the schematic, match it up with what you've built, and mark both as checked and valid. Eventually, you'll find the issue.

Just an FYI, but I've tried a couple of times to follow your wiring in those photos and I can't because almost all of the wiring is that same red color. I suggest you get out a magic marker or some colored tape and color code some of that wiring. You might find the issue a bit easier when you do that. Good luck and sorry you haven't had more input, but that may be why.

First

Back
471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480