Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #4,936 of 7,277
oh I know
smily_headphones1.gif
and I realise you're doing the original but 12AU7,
I just want to build the optional one onto PCB now
smily_headphones1.gif

I've done a really bad rough hand PCB sketch, its terrible and over complex but once I get it in expressPCB I can tweak it better

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #4,937 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of this! would there be any advantage to doing it?

Balanced operation has several advantages over "single ended" among which are: twice the output power, twice the slew rate, decreased otput impedance, decreased noise and zero crosstalk. You can read a bit more here.

A balanced SSHM seems like an interesting experiment, I'm working on a balanced apheared 47 and recabled Grado SR-60is myself
smily_headphones1.gif
. Still it seems to me that you'd need to get closely matched tubes and MOSFETs for it to be effective. Just build one, m11a1.. and let us know how it works !
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh I know
smily_headphones1.gif
and I realise you're doing the original but 12AU7,
I just want to build the optional one onto PCB now
smily_headphones1.gif

I've done a really bad rough hand PCB sketch, its terrible and over complex but once I get it in expressPCB I can tweak it better

I definitely would love to try one of those PCB's too. hss3, if you plan on getting a batch of those produced, count me in.

cheers!

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #4,938 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that you've mentioned the minimax and I've checked it out, I don't know which direction I want to go

Honestly, you'd probably be fine with the SSMH - it's a great place to start. You can always build the minimax sometime in the future if you feel the SSMH isn't enough.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #4,939 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, guys! as I said in my previous post: I'll add the higher value for the electrolytics and the optional parts (the highlighted ones) from the new schematic
smily_headphones1.gif

Oops.
redface.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #4,940 of 7,277
this amp really does sound crazy good...just using it with my Klipsch S2's, my mere £20 mainstay throw around IEM's, and I'm shocked at the huge openness and massive width and airyness of it all. In fairness I rank the S2's as the best dynamic I've personally heard but still...

think next step is different tubes
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #4,941 of 7,277
Quote:

A balanced SSHM seems like an interesting experiment, I'm working on a balanced apheared 47 and recabled Grado SR-60is myself
smily_headphones1.gif
. Still it seems to me that you'd need to get closely matched tubes and MOSFETs for it to be effective. Just build one, m11a1.. and let us know how it works !
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I'm really thinking about a balanced SSMH 12AU7 version.

But, before I start anything, I really want to sketch out my ideas to see what you think.
biggrin.gif

I'll start drawing it out soon.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #4,942 of 7,277
Quote:

I definitely would love to try one of those PCB's too. hss3, if you plan on getting a batch of those produced, count me in.

cheers!

right now, no batch at the moment. I completed one that looks okay, but i still need a bit more practice.

I think i can make 2 more? so if i dont screw up on teh next two, i will have 2 great ones and one good one that is missing a mosfet connection.

If i have good extras, ill offer them out to people

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #4,943 of 7,277
equalizer..would it be worth you starting a new thread to branch the EIA 9A Starving Student off because it will get confusing otherwise, and since the 19J6 tubes look to be so scarce this ought to be the way forward to keep the project alive..

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #4,944 of 7,277
Does anyone know where the PCB for SSMH besides Beezar? They are sold out there...

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #4,945 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where the PCB for SSMH besides Beezar? They are sold out there...

Since the PCB was a Dsavitsk-Beezar proprietary product (with Pete Millett/n_maher's blessing), let me know if you find one somewhere else.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE
equalizer..would it be worth you starting a new thread to branch the EIA 9A Starving Student off because it will get confusing otherwise, and since the 19J6 tubes look to be so scarce this ought to be the way forward to keep the project alive..

Just MHO, but I don't think we'd want to lose the connection to Pete Millett as the original designer. All of this is done with his permission, after all. The fact that his initial post anchors this thread is not unimportant.

Besides, posting the writeup, schematic, etc. on the SSMH website would address your worries about confusion.

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #4,946 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just MHO, but I don't think we'd want to lose the connection to Pete Millett as the original designer. All of this is done with his permission, after all. The fact that his initial post anchors this thread is not unimportant

Besides, posting the writeup, schematic, etc. on the SSMH website would address your worries about confusion.

very true, the original design from Pete is as you say the reason for all this, I didn't mean to sound like this is a new design so forget the old one type thing, just meant there will more than likely be quite a bit of interest in the 12AU7 version but yes that'll be nice to have it written up on the website
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #4,947 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>

Just MHO, but I don't think we'd want to lose the connection to Pete Millett as the original designer. All of this is done with his permission, after all. The fact that his initial post anchors this thread is not unimportant.

I definitely agree that it should be kept under this thread, also why I did not start a new one when I posted about the mod.

About the schematics, I'm hoping to integrate the remaining changes to the 12AU7 diagram today. As to other versions, if no one else volunteers (Logistic ?
smily_headphones1.gif
) I'll tackle the schematic for Logistic's 12SR7 mod too.

cheers!

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #4,948 of 7,277
/me is getting excited about doing this build. I hope I can get organized befor spring break! (week of the 11th)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back