1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

    Dismiss Notice

Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp

First
 
Back
319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328
330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339
Next
 
Last
  1. Juaquin
    The current SSMH BOM uses some pretty high-quality parts. You could pay 2-5x the price for "boutique" parts that would only give you maybe a 5% increase in quality. Boutique parts would be things like SoniCaps or Mundorf caps, black gates (no longer available), etc. The resistors used in the SSMH are pretty much top-of-the-line as it is, so nothing to do there. You could switch out the pot for an Alps RK27 - in fact, that is probably worth the extra cost (the pot in the default BOM is good but not amazing). You could even use a stepped attenuator instead of a pot.

    Really, if you're looking to upgrade the SSMH you'd be better off just building a higher-end amp like the Mini-Max. You'll get more for your money that way than you would buying "boutique" parts.
     
  2. the_equalizer
    So, what do you guys think? This is the first draft schematic for the 12AU7 version of the Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid headphone amplifier.

    [​IMG]

    cheers!
     
  3. hss3
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Am I correct in assuming it's a double sided board?

    cheers!




    Yes it is.

    Wow, everyone on here is so helpful. Thanks for the above schematic... seems right to me.
     
  4. Juaquin
    Looks good to me. Might want to add a note somewhere that it's a modification so people don't get confused.
     
  5. the_equalizer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hss3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Yes it is.

    Wow, everyone on here is so helpful. Thanks for the above schematic... seems right to me.




    Well, your PCB drawing is certainly very helpful! So far it looks great!

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Looks good to me. Might want to add a note somewhere that it's a modification so people don't get confused.



    Good point. I edited the post to add that clarification and I'll add it to the schematic. Thanks !
     
  6. blitzpirate
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Sounds like the potentiometer pins that connect to the ground plane are not correctly soldered, particularly the pin corresponding to the right channel.

    Check those solder points. Getting the solder to really flow in those takes quite a bit of heat, you'll need to apply your soldering iron for some 2 or three minutes until the ground plane heats up and the solder flows.

    Problem is that you don't want to heat the pot pin as much, just the pad. So I'd suggest removing the solder, applying the iron to the pad long enough so that the solder flows, then apply the iron for some seconds to the pot pin too and then feed in the solder.

    cheers!




    hey thx for the help, but i did a noobie mistake and put to much solder and it went through the pins and connected on the other side. haha now do you have any tips on how to take the potentiometer off or how to disable the volume part completely because i can just use my dac for changing the volume? and if i cant do it, can anyone fix it for me if i ship it to them and pay for return shipping plus what you want to charge me for fixing it?
     
  7. m11a1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    So, what do you guys think? This is the first draft schematic for the 12AU7 version of the Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid headphone amplifier.
    cheers!




    Looks great!

    By the way, I have a question regarding the SSMH. Do you think it's possible to make a balanced SSMH. So it would be 2 boards for each channel? Or am I just crazy here....
     
  8. tomb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    So, what do you guys think? This is the first draft schematic for the 12AU7 version of the Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid headphone amplifier.
    </snip>




    Looks great![​IMG]
     
  9. the_equalizer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blitzpirate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    hey thx for the help, but i did a noobie mistake and put to much solder and it went through the pins and connected on the other side. haha now do you have any tips on how to take the potentiometer off or how to disable the volume part completely because i can just use my dac for changing the volume? and if i cant do it, can anyone fix it for me if i ship it to them and pay for return shipping plus what you want to charge me for fixing it?



    Well, that's no mistake. That actually means you did a great job of soldering. [​IMG]

    Maybe you could try posting some clear pics of the board underside and topside in the area where the pot is installed? Just to be sure before advancing any definite advice.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Looks great!

    By the way, I have a question regarding the SSMH. Do you think it's possible to make a balanced SSMH. So it would be 2 boards for each channel? Or am I just crazy here....




    It would require 1 board per channel, so four tubes, 4 MOSFETs, 2 PSUs (unless you're using a 1 amp PSU already),etc.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Looks great![​IMG]



    Thanks ! I think I'll add the updated value for the electrolytics and the optional parts from the new schematic and that's it!

    cheers!
     
  10. timmyGCSE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    So, what do you guys think? This is the first draft schematic for the 12AU7 version of the Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid headphone amplifier.

    image

    cheers!




    nice but am I correct in saying you've used the original design and not this one?
    http://www.diyforums.org/SSMH/schema...MH-origPCB.gif
     
  11. tomb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    nice but am I correct in saying you've used the original design and not this one?
    http://www.diyforums.org/SSMH/schema...MH-origPCB.gif




    That's a good question and one I'm not sure how to answer. I guess it's up to the_equalizer, since the 12AU7 mods are his. The image you reference here is Dsavitsk's mods for the SSMH PCB. These mods definitely made the amp sound better. However, without a PCB, it's back to P2P and maybe it's better to reference the original schematic and let those who investigate further add the PCB mods.
     
  12. timmyGCSE
    from what I can gather..the schematic above is defo the original and not Dsavitsk's mods. In the original 12AU7 post the_equalizer made with a picture of the P2P wired tube sockets of his 12AU7, it was of the modified version and that threw me when I was comparing it to the original schematic lol, but just then it threw me again because he schematic is back to the original haha.

    Anyway yes I don't want to tread on equalizers toes, I started hand sketching a PCB design for the modded version yesterday, but it will be crap and I will spare my own embarressment by not showing anyone haha! but I want to make it myself and that just to prove to myself I can do it
     
  13. ezzieyguywuf
    Juaquin: thanks, thats the kind of answer I was looking for. Now that you've mentioned the minimax and I've checked it out, I don't know which direction I want to go :p Of course, if I went with the mini it'd have to be sans enclosure, as its way outa my price range as it is.
     
  14. timmyGCSE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif


    It would require 1 board per channel, so four tubes, 4 MOSFETs, 2 PSUs (unless you're using a 1 amp PSU already),etc.




    I was thinking of this! would there be any advantage to doing it?
     
  15. the_equalizer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    nice but am I correct in saying you've used the original design and not this one?
    http://www.diyforums.org/SSMH/schema...MH-origPCB.gif




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    That's a good question and one I'm not sure how to answer. I guess it's up to the_equalizer, since the 12AU7 mods are his. The image you reference here is Dsavitsk's mods for the SSMH PCB. These mods definitely made the amp sound better. However, without a PCB, it's back to P2P and maybe it's better to reference the original schematic and let those who investigate further add the PCB mods.



    Quote:

    Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    from what I can gather..the schematic above is defo the original and not Dsavitsk's mods. In the original 12AU7 post the_equalizer made with a picture of the P2P wired tube sockets of his 12AU7, it was of the modified version and that threw me when I was comparing it to the original schematic lol, but just then it threw me again because he schematic is back to the original haha.

    Anyway yes I don't want to tread on equalizers toes, I started hand sketching a PCB design for the modded version yesterday, but it will be crap and I will spare my own embarressment by not showing anyone haha! but I want to make it myself and that just to prove to myself I can do it




    Guys, guys! as I said in my previous post: I'll add the higher value for the electrolytics and the optional parts (the highlighted ones) from the new schematic [​IMG]

    @timmyGCSE: If you read at the top of Dsavitsk's schematic you can see that the highlighted parts are optional; they're not essential to the operation of the circuit but, as TomB mentions, improve the way it sounds.

    cheers!
     
First
 
Back
319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328
330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339
Next
 
Last

Share This Page