Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Feb 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #4,772 of 7,277
I wasn't going to bother as they all look the same built from the kit but anyways. Here you go.............

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

By the way...

Tom, you are the man.

The kit is beautifully packed and complete.
Tubes are nicely match and no microphonics.

And you have the patience of a saint.

Thank you

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #4,773 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by UKToecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't going to bother as they all look the same built from the kit but anyways. Here you go.............
<snip>

By the way...

Tom, you are the man.

The kit is beautifully packed and complete.
Tubes are nicely match and no microphonics.

And you have the patience of a saint.

Thank you

Great pics ! nice looking pair of GE tubes.... man, all these pics make me miss my beezar.com SSMH....

cheers!

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #4,776 of 7,277
My contribution.

4372338806_75e861b1db_o.jpg

Building it went smooth except one of the original 2 LEDs was DOA. Ended up ordering more and just finished switching the bad LED out. (I ordered 10 LEDs for this and another project but was actually sent 11, makes up for original one that was DOA
tongue.gif
)

Can't wait until the next project... Kudos to Tom for a great kit.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #4,777 of 7,277
How pretty! Are those white or blue LEDs?

Tom, I didn't want to hijack the other thread more than I already did, but I wanted to thank you for your amazing advice. I was a little skeptical of the idea of adding solder to the joint, but I tried it anyway. The results were phenomenal.

Before (here you can see the cracked ceramic on the gain resistor {I think that's what it is}. Worth replacing?):
1in2Tl.jpg

After:
SokeGl.jpg

The pics don't do it justice, but except for the flux everywhere, it looks like there was nothing there before. Anyways, it's off-topic, but I'm just so grateful. This was surprisingly my favorite part of the build.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #4,778 of 7,277
Personally, I would replace the resistor even if it measured correctly.
It isn't worth taking the chance of a failure later.

My 2 cents worth (about the same cost as the resistor, nearly)

:)

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #4,779 of 7,277
Quote:

Yep - I agree with that.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #4,780 of 7,277
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep - I agree with that.

Okay, I definitely will, then. I ordered a few from Mouser, and I'm feeling pretty good about my desoldering skills now, so I'll do it in a few hours
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #4,781 of 7,277
Hi all.

Just finished up my build. Awesome kit by the way.

1003254.jpg

This was my first experience with amps and soldering and I had a lot of fun building this. Originally I miswired one of the LED's so I took it apart and got that fixed. The music sounded awesome before I took it apart but when I put it back together I didn't get any sound in the left ear. Took it back apart again and everything looked fine, no wired touching, nothing that I could see that would cause this. So what should I do to fix this and what could be the cause?

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #4,782 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narwhalius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all.

Just finished up my build. Awesome kit by the way.

<snip>

This was my first experience with amps and soldering and I had a lot of fun building this. Originally I miswired one of the LED's so I took it apart and got that fixed. The music sounded awesome before I took it apart but when I put it back together I didn't get any sound in the left ear. Took it back apart again and everything looked fine, no wired touching, nothing that I could see that would cause this. So what should I do to fix this and what could be the cause?

Congratulations! Great pic and a nice, clean build. I'd just point out that you installed the end panels and the bezels reversed. Here's the pic TomB posted a few pages back in the thread.

1455grpb.jpg

As to the no sound issue, if the mute channel tube lights up and the MOSFET heats up, it could be the wiring from the RCA jack to the input block, or some cold solder joint along the way. Good luck debugging !

cheers!

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #4,783 of 7,277
Ah thanks for the pic. Wasn't really sure which way they were supposed to go so I just put em on. Though I gotta say I do like kinda like how it looks now. As far as the tube, yes it does light up and the MOSFET gets warm. I'll take another look at the solder joints. Thanks again.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #4,784 of 7,277
I was listening to my amp, and it was sounding nice, then I heard a bit of crackle in the left channel, and suddenly, it sounded like the sound broke through, and was a lot louder/cleaner. It has yet to happen to the right channel. Is this normal/expected? I know that this needs a bit of burn-in time, but I didn't think it would be as pronounced as that.

EDIT: I left the amp running for an hour or so, and I don't notice it anymore. So, nevermind
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #4,785 of 7,277
Still having trouble with the SSMH P2P I'm building,

Symptoms:

One tube lights up as expected, the other is VERY dim.
Zero audio coming out of the amp. Not even crackling.
When you flick the switch, the LED flashes three times at the same rate in this video. But then stops, and the tube's begin to glow after it stops.

I've been checking and reflowing all the connections, the MOSFET's do indeed heat up now that I've used the Bergquist pads/mounting kit.

Any ideas? (Old, but largely the same) photos are here.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/mil...ml#post6380448

Thanks!

Also, is this the correct pin placement for the pot? With the shaft pointing away from you, pins pointing down, the left row is ground, middle row is input, right row is the output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back