1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp

First

Back
302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311
313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322
Next

Last
  1. Juaquin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    [​IMG]

That's some pretty impressive wiring - 4" of techflex wrapped signal wires? Nice touch.

2. Jrome
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Just a hint to some of you new folks building with tubes for the first time. Yes, there will be resistance plugging a tube into a socket - especially if the sockets have been glued back together. As stated earlier, I personally tested each socket to make sure a tube would plug into it. However, I may have a little better touch on how to do this after doing literally hundreds.[​IMG]

The proper method to plug in a tube - especially if there's some resistance in the socket - is NOT to jam the tube straight in there. Instead, try a gentle spiral rocking motion while pushing down. In other words, it's almost like pushing one pin in at a time, while turning and pushing the tube at the same time. If this doesn't work or it sounds too difficult, then rock the tube gently back and forth while pushing down. This rotates the pressure around the tube pins, equalizing the stress somewhat - same as alternating the lug nuts on a car wheel.

After a few times of plugging and unplugging the tubes, the sockets should loosen up some. Meanwhile, hopefully you haven't shattered a tube. [​IMG]

Thanks Tom!
    (I was the one who shattered one [​IMG])

This was my first time using tubes, and I just had no idea what I should expect. Thanks for all of your help and being so understanding!

3. particleman14
    Just wanted to come in here and give a big thanks to tom and everyone else who helped make this kit possible. I just finished ( took me about 8 hours) and i am very pleased with the results. I followed the build guide on the forums here and everything went off without a hitch.!! something i'm not used to. I fired it up and started playing immediately ( and still now too). thanks for making such a great kit and diy experience. now I gotta save up for the minimax!

I am glad I got in on this last run of starving students. couldn't be happier!

pics!!
    vbattach26002.jpg
    vbattach26003.jpg
    vbattach26004.jpg

4. particleman14
    edit double..

5. Juaquin
    The plastic rings go between the case and the front panels. Of course, you don't have to if you like this look better, but that's how it was designed.

6. tomb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Thanks Tom!
    (I was the one who shattered one [​IMG])

This was my first time using tubes, and I just had no idea what I should expect. Thanks for all of your help and being so understanding!

True confessions? I wasn't going to identify you![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. tomb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    The plastic rings go between the case and the front panels. Of course, you don't have to if you like this look better, but that's how it was designed.

Yep. It's very easy to slip the plastic bezel over the end plates with a small twist, even with all the wiring attached.[​IMG]

8. Juaquin
    If you look closely at my avatar (the SSMH), you'll see I took that picture before I had figured it out too. Shhh

9. the_equalizer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by particleman14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Just wanted to come in here and give a big thanks to tom and everyone else who helped make this kit possible. I just finished ( took me about 8 hours) and i am very pleased with the results. I followed the build guide on the forums here and everything went off without a hitch.!! something i'm not used to. I fired it up and started playing immediately ( and still now too). thanks for making such a great kit and diy experience. now I gotta save up for the minimax!

I am glad I got in on this last run of starving students. couldn't be happier!

pics!!

Congratulations on your build! If you liked the DIY experience of the "Starving Student" Hybrid (which I like very much too; I've built three of them, and have a fourth variation in the oven) you'll absolutely love the MiniMAX kit. I just built one this last weekend and all I can tell you is: go for it.

cheers!

10. Lil' Knight
    Noise issue solved [​IMG] sweet sound coming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At first I thought the channel was imbalanced; the left side was a little bit louder than the right one. However, after 15 minutes, the sound is much more balanced now.

Another point is that when I tested the amp uncased, no noise. But when I attached the front panel into the case, there's noise! Looks like the volume control touches the hole of the panel. Will try to figure this but it's sounding great with my AD2000 right now. What is the values of low and high gain? I'm running high gain but it might be high for my AD2000.

Thanks tomb for the great project. 3 days of fun building my first ever amp (I even never built the Cmoy before). Will switch to the green LED when it comes. [​IMG]

11. Juaquin
    Lil' Knight - you too! Plastic rings go between the pieces of case metal, not on the very outside! [​IMG]

12. Yaka
    which rings are you talking about?

13. Lil' Knight
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Lil' Knight - you too! Plastic rings go between the pieces of case metal, not on the very outside! [​IMG]

LOL. I didn't notice that. Will change it when I have time.

14. the_equalizer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    which rings are you talking about?

He's talking about the rectangular front and back panel plastic bevels.

EDIT: I meant bezels not bevels [​IMG]

cheers!

15. tomb
    Yeah, it's easier to get the picture when you see the picture.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's especially clear on the silver cases, because the plastic bezels are still black.[​IMG]

First

Back
302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311
313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322
Next

Last