1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp

First

Back
286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295
297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306
Next

Last
  1. Fishline
    Quote:

Originally Posted by simwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Well what is the easiest way to work out if a heatsink would be adequate? The thermal resistance?

If you can find some old PCs, the heatsink for probably anything Pentium or later would be sufficient. In my second p2p build I used one cpu heatsink for both MOSFETS.

Quote:

I mean I'm looking at heatsinks that fan outwards and so the footprint that it actually sits on is smaller than the fanned out dimensions.

Do you have any idea of what you would consider to be roughly the minimum size to be then?

My 2nd and 3rd builds used this case:
    small aluminum project case 113x70x25
    (Similar cases can be found on eBay at similar prices, but with free shipping.) It was pretty tight, but manageable if you do careful planning. A month or so ago in the for sale forum someone sold a Starving student that's really small, barely any space left after tube sockets and heatsinks.

The pictures of my 2nd & 3rd p2p build can be found here:
    2nd p2p build with CPU heatsink
    3rd SSMH, with corrected wiring mentioned a few posts down

Good luck!

2. Juaquin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Different tubes light up differently, even different makes of the same tube do. I think it was user Juaquin who mentioned that the 19J6 tubes he got had enclosed heaters and barely gave out any light.!

This is correct - the heating elements are enclosed in my two Raytheon tubes. I have to get my line of sight just right to see the heater elements. If there weren't any LEDS there would be barely any light coming out of them. I also have a pair of the RCAs (I believe) that I'm using for a second build and those heaters are exposed.

3. simwells
    Think I'm down to one last question!

It's about heatsinks again, is it possible to glue them directly to the caseing? Otherwise can they just be screwed in place. Is there anything I'd need to be wary of if I did so?

4. tomb
    Quote:

Think I'm down to one last question!

It's about heatsinks again, is it possible to glue them directly to the caseing? Otherwise can they just be screwed in place. Is there anything I'd need to be wary of if I did so?

I think screws would be better than glue for longevity. You just need to be concerned that the MOSFETs are fully insulated from the case and the heat sinks - and the wire leads.

5. meme Contributor
    Just thought I'd post some pictures of my effort that I made over the Christmas holidays ~

[​IMG]

This is my first go at any sort of DIY electronics, it's the Beezar kit in my own enclosure. I must say that it sounds pretty good, very impressed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, thanks to tomb & dsavitsk for putting this excellent kit out there!

6. scompton Contributor
    Beautiful

7. meme Contributor
    Cheers scompton ~

It's amazing what you can do with some old bits of plywood lying about.

8. simwells
    Last bit of a stupid question but, LED choice if I want blue to light up tubes and as indicators what should the max voltage on them be?

9. Llama16
    Wow nice job meme, that's a beauty of a case.

10. scompton Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by meme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Cheers scompton ~

It's amazing what you can do with some old bits of plywood lying about.

From the pics of the top it looks like a block of wood. Did you miter the top to the sides?

11. meme Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Wow nice job meme, that's a beauty of a case.

Thanks Llama16, glad you like it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    From the pics of the top it looks like a block of wood.

That was the effect I was after - but I just glued the sides to the bottom of the top piece and covered the sides in the veneer cut from the same plywood, I only mitered the four corner joints.

Basically I just cut along the length of a piece cut slightly larger than needed, around 1/8 in from the surface - you could use a band saw to do this - then (very) carefully sand down from behind the back of the veneer to remove what's left of the glue/wood and Hey Presto! you have your veneer.

It would probably be much easier working with solid wood, but it's what was available to me at the time and the box is quite small, so wasn't much trouble.

12. revolink24
    Anyone have any ideas as to why tapping one of my tubes sometimes results in an EXTREMELY loud cracking sound?

13. tomb
    Quote:

Last bit of a stupid question but, LED choice if I want blue to light up tubes and as indicators what should the max voltage on them be?

I had an explanation, but it seems that Head-Fi dropped off line right when I was posting it.

Suffice to say we've already done the work for you. For two high-brightness LED's, the resistor we've spec'd in the SSMH BOM is the right one for the voltage and about 10ma a piece. The kicker is that it needs to be sized for the right wattage. We normally size resistors for power ratings of 2X (close to the board, no air circulation, etc.) for safety. You'll need a 2W resistor:
    SSMH Bill Of Materials

EDIT: 2 LED's at 10ma each, R = 48/0.02 = 2.4K. P = 48 * 0.02 = 0.96W, or 2W for safety's sake.[​IMG]

14. tomb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Anyone have any ideas as to why tapping one of my tubes sometimes results in an EXTREMELY loud cracking sound?

There's a loose connection somewhere around the pins and the socket, or the tube is bad. Switching tubes will tell you very quickly if it's the tube.[​IMG]

15. UKToecutter
    Hello

My first post on Head-Fi.

Great Project. I've actually read all 296 pages over the last few days (yeah, sad, I know).

Looking forward to the release of another batch of kits by Beezar.

TomB. When I order, can I have Ocean Green LED's please?

:)

First

Back
286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295
297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306
Next

Last