Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Dec 21, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #4,306 of 7,277
Hello, this is my starving student, it works great
darthsmile.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #4,311 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone selling kit for these amps? Or is anyone willing to sell source the parts for me and sell to me as a kit ? (I'm from Europe)

Thanks!!!

As of this week, I've ordered a new batch of 35 cases from Hammond. We should have the last round of 35 kits to go on sale in mid-to-late January.

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #4,312 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you thin that I can have a better audio quality using this cable instead of the ipod headphone output?

Using this cable, I can bypass the ipod internal power amplifier?

Yes, that's usually what a "LOD" for an ipod does - as in, "Line Out Device."

Your build looks very cool. It appears that you essentially used Dsavitsk's PCB method of mounting with a perfboard. Pretty neat!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #4,313 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, this is my starving student, it works great
darthsmile.gif

Cool build ! The wooden box gives it a great 'old tube amp' feel. Congratulations !

cheers !

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #4,316 of 7,277
I posted a separate thread about this, but I was told I would get more help if I moved it into this thread, so I'm just going to copy and paste it. BUT! with pictures this time
tongue.gif

This is the_equalizer's 12AU7 version of the SSMH

I just finished soldering a starving student and everything looked good, but when I flipped the switch on with no tubes in the mosfets didn't heat up. I thought that maybe it was because I didn't have the tubes in, so I put them in and turned it on, but then the left one flashed a bright orange and I immediately turned off the amp. I've checked all my connections and they seem to be going to the right places. However, I didn't get to check the voltages because in the process of learning how to use my multimeter as a voltmeter, I blew its fuse...

Anyway, do you guys have any idea on where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks,
~getllamasfast

EDIT:
I figured out that the flash was the tube heating up, but only one tube heats up. I let it sit for a while and hope that I could at least get one side working, but then the bottom heaters started flashing and then the power leds started flashing. Now neither tube heats up, nor do the mosfets and the leds blink if the tubes are plugged in. If I leave the tubes out, the leds are fine...

Here's a youtube video of what happens when I flip the switch.
YouTube - Broken Starving Student Hybrid

Pictures: (Sorry about the rats nest of wires and solder... 'twas my first time going p2p and I didn't really have a layout plan...
redface.gif
)

dsc0064y.jpg

dsc0063b.jpg

dsc0062c.jpg

dsc0050b.jpg

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #4,319 of 7,277
Sorry to say, but it scares me seeing those MOSFETs with bare leads. Could you put some electrical tape around each of those leads? For that matter, some electrical tape around some other bare leads/solder joints may prevent future shorts. I'm not saying you need it on solder lugs or all joints, but some of those resistors have very long leads that could come into contact with a number of other joints if not insulated. Maybe it's the angle of the photos? It's hard to judge depth with 2D photos, unfortunately, so use your own discretion.

You're correct that it's a ratnest, unfortunately. While the photos are great, I'm afraid it will take a very enterprising user to try and trace that wiring. I've confirmed the input wiring to the pot appears OK, as does the output wiring to the headphone jack. I'm not sure about the rest - I'll keep looking as I get chances.

What's the plan for that LED?

Try and get that DMM fixed and refer to a good SSMH schematic. Carefully see if you can trace each part of the circuit and confirm continuity with the meter. You should be able to do this with it turned off. Don't worry about measuring specific resistances, they'll prove indeterminate in a completed circuit with its many parallel connections. You can, however, verify the resistors from the color codes.

See if that helps and report back. Maybe someone else will spot something in the meantime.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #4,320 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by getllamasfast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted a separate thread about this, but I was told I would get more help if I moved it into this thread, so I'm just going to copy and paste it. BUT! with pictures this time
tongue.gif

This is the_equalizer's 12AU7 version of the SSMH

I just finished soldering a starving student and everything looked good, but when I flipped the switch on with no tubes in the mosfets didn't heat up. I thought that maybe it was because I didn't have the tubes in, so I put them in and turned it on, but then the left one flashed a bright orange and I immediately turned off the amp. I've checked all my connections and they seem to be going to the right places. However, I didn't get to check the voltages because in the process of learning how to use my multimeter as a voltmeter, I blew its fuse...

Anyway, do you guys have any idea on where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks,
~getllamasfast

EDIT:
I figured out that the flash was the tube heating up, but only one tube heats up. I let it sit for a while and hope that I could at least get one side working, but then the bottom heaters started flashing and then the power leds started flashing. Now neither tube heats up, nor do the mosfets and the leds blink if the tubes are plugged in. If I leave the tubes out, the leds are fine...

Here's a youtube video of what happens when I flip the switch.
YouTube - Broken Starving Student Hybrid

Pictures: (Sorry about the rats nest of wires and solder... 'twas my first time going p2p and I didn't really have a layout plan...
redface.gif
)

Cool idea that about the internal LED's !! They light up the volume pot quite nicely!

Now, from what the video shows... that is indeed a very strange behavior. It just might be a short circuit in your wiring and that pulsing is the power supply protection kicking in and out.

I tried tracing some of your wiring using the pics, but it proved to much for me (sorry!). I think you can do it much better than any of us can with just the pics.

So here are some clear pics of my 12AU7 MSSH wiring. Try following each wiring path in it and compare it with yours. Feel free to PM me if you need some detail about the wiring.

dscf1901e.jpg

dscf1902.jpg

dscf1903.jpg

dscf1904g.jpg

As TomB mentioned, you'll DEFINITELY NEED that VOM to get this to work. As TomB also mentioned, covering the exposed junctions and leads will definitely help avoid any unintentional shorts to the casing. Oh, and I'd start by completely removing the LED's and associated resistors. You can add them back in when you're sure the basic amplifier circuit works.

cheers !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back