Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Nov 4, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #4,066 of 7,258

cwboomer

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Posts
12
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry. For some reason, I thought you all meant when you click on the website BOM -
SSMH Bill Of Materials

Everything that's on that BOM is in the kit.



Boy that sounds great! I feel dumb for asking for this clarification, but when you say everything on the BOM, do you mean that the kit will contain every part on the BOM, even if the BOM specifies Digi-Key or Mouser as a source? Or just the BEEZAR parts that are listed on the BOM?

Getting excited for the day of delivery!

Dan
beyersmile.png
 
Nov 4, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #4,067 of 7,258

tomb

Member of the Trade: Beezar.com
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Posts
10,535
Likes
761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwboomer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boy that sounds great! I feel dumb for asking for this clarification, but when you say everything on the BOM, do you mean that the kit will contain every part on the BOM, even if the BOM specifies Digi-Key or Mouser as a source? Or just the BEEZAR parts that are listed on the BOM?

Getting excited for the day of delivery!

Dan
beyersmile.png



Every part, period. Only wire, heat shrink, and solder are not included.
 
Nov 4, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #4,069 of 7,258

CaptHowie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Posts
145
Likes
10
Nope, you'll have to wait like everyone else.
 
Nov 4, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #4,071 of 7,258

tomb

Member of the Trade: Beezar.com
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Posts
10,535
Likes
761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tomb, how fast do you recon they'll be sold out? How fast did the first delivery get sold out?

I don't wanna miss my chance because they're gonna be sold an hour after release
wink.gif
.



Just a guess, but if it goes like last time - maybe 10-12 will get sold within the first couple of days, but the remaining dozen or so will drag on for another month or more.
wink.gif


I don't mean to diminish the enthusiasm in this thread, but I made this same observation many months ago: a half-dozen enthusiastic posters to this thread ... is still just 6 people. Just as an example to that theorem, the last batch of HF-2's that Todd announced recently: people thought they'd be gone in the first half-hour, but it took the better part of the day and into the evening (I think) before they were all gone.

So, I wouldn't worry too much if you miss by a few days or a week, there's bound to be some left I think.
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Nov 4, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #4,072 of 7,258

Llama16

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Posts
326
Likes
0
fiew great to hear that
biggrin.gif


I already got the pcb and tubes for a p2p build. But getting the parts from mouser (I'm across the pond) just keeps on dragging forever.

I finally decided to get the kit, that way I'm completely sure. And because your service is very quick and trusted, I didn't really reconsider.

I was thinking that there were maybe alot of people observing the thread twithout posting, and my ability to estimate a number isn't really that great
tongue.gif
 
Nov 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #4,073 of 7,258

Fishline

Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Posts
83
Likes
12
I have a couple more questions before I get started with my second p2p build:

- Can anyone tell me what's right size hole for the tube socket, to be mounted from below? I want to make sure I get the bit that can drill the correct size.

- Volume pot: I'm considering the Alps RK097 pot, to save the space for power switch (as the enclosure I'm planning to use is rather small, and I need all the space I can get). Can anyone tell me how the power switch on this pot works, is it push to turn on/off, or turn all the way to the left to turn off? Also, how does it compare to the alpha, quality-wise? And, it seems like there's only the 10k version (Mouser 688-RK0971221Z05). Do I just add ~40k of resistor(s) in front of it?
 
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #4,074 of 7,258

tomb

Member of the Trade: Beezar.com
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Posts
10,535
Likes
761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple more questions before I get started with my second p2p build:

- Can anyone tell me what's right size hole for the tube socket, to be mounted from below? I want to make sure I get the bit that can drill the correct size.



Pretty sure it's 3/4", but I'll check when I get home tonight if someone else doesn't confirm. Quote:


- Volume pot: I'm considering the Alps RK097 pot, to save the space for power switch (as the enclosure I'm planning to use is rather small, and I need all the space I can get). Can anyone tell me how the power switch on this pot works, is it push to turn on/off, or turn all the way to the left to turn off? Also, how does it compare to the alpha, quality-wise? And, it seems like there's only the 10k version (Mouser 688-RK0971221Z05). Do I just add ~40k of resistor(s) in front of it?


It turns to the left to turn off. The general consensus I've seen from most people is that it's on a par with the Alpha (not as good as an RK27, for instance).

No, you would not put 40K-worth of resistors in front of it - that would give you 4X attenuation, probably way too much. Start with a 10K resistor(s) and go up in 10K increments from there. One thing to consider is that 10-20K input resistance may filter out some bass with some sources, depending on the output capacitors (if there are any) of the source. That's usually why we go with 50K. A 10K pot works fine for many portables because you're not expecting earth-shattering bass in a portable environment anyway.
 
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #4,075 of 7,258

TimJo

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Posts
1,129
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Can anyone tell me what's right size hole for the tube socket, to be mounted from below? I want to make sure I get the bit that can drill the correct size.


Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty sure it's 3/4", but I'll check when I get home tonight if someone else doesn't confirm.


The ceramic ones I use are 3/4" and my guess is that's pretty standard for the miniature 9 pin sockets.

Of course, you'll never know for sure sure 'til you have the ones your buying in your hands.
 
Nov 5, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #4,077 of 7,258

TimJo

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Posts
1,129
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you meant 7-pin ... 9-pin sockets are bigger in diameter.
wink.gif



No, actually I forgot the 19J6 was a 7-pin.

(I've been building more 9-pin stuff lately.
rolleyes.gif
)

The 7-pins I used have a 5/8 dia hole. I just measured...

Sorry for the confusion.
 
Nov 5, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #4,080 of 7,258

kuroguy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Posts
236
Likes
10
Now where did I put that hole shrinker?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top