Miller Genuine Draft
Nov 14, 2002 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Fellas,

I recently turned 21 and have been casually sampling beers since. I've found what I like best from my so far non-adventurous sampling is Corona Extra and Guinness (the rich, extra-dark stuff). Anyhow, as a rule, I've positively hated domestic stuff (Bud, etc.), but the other day I had a Miller Genuine Draft and it was surprisingly good. It has some very Corona-like qualities (though it has a less pleasing, watery-er overall character).

Anyone around here know about beer or care to comment? Suggestions welcome...

Regards,
Matt

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 40
Have you tried any of the Sam Adams brews?
I think you might like the cream stout.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 40
if you like special beer as the guinness, you MUST give a try to the belgian beers
biggrin.gif
(yeah, i am belgian). a easy one to begin with is the Duvel. a bit better according to my taste is the Orval. of course, it s a bit hard to get those in the USA
frown.gif
. and it is "only" around 6.2% of alcohol.

in the lighter rank, try to get the Hoegaarden white. really nice, easy to like it (classic girl's beer). the guy who found the recipe went to USA and brassed now there the "de Celis White" in texas. this last one is WONDERFUL.

and of course, the best light blonde beer in the world, the Jupiler. Brassed by interbrew, one of the leader in the brewerry market, but those stupid guys don't export it a lot. they export instead the stella artois and the becks, 2 real and expensive ****s.

Nov 14, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I like Budweiser myself. Not the crap that the Americans call Budweiser, the real Czech stuff.

I don't think that Bud is even beer.
Isn't it made with rice?!?
eek.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
eek.gif

I thought it was recycled Guiness
eek.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
if you like special beer as the guinness, you MUST give a try to the belgian beers
biggrin.gif
(yeah, i am belgian). a easy one to begin with is the Duvel. a bit better according to my taste is the Orval. of course, it s a bit hard to get those in the USA
frown.gif
. and it is "only" around 6.2% of alcohol.

in the lighter rank, try to get the Hoegaarden white. really nice, easy to like it (classic girl's beer). the guy who found the recipe went to USA and brassed now there the "de Celis White" in texas. this last one is WONDERFUL.

and of course, the best light blonde beer in the world, the Jupiler. Brassed by interbrew, one of the leader in the brewerry market, but those stupid guys don't export it a lot. they export instead the stella artois and the becks, 2 real and expensive ****s.

I recognize the Stella Artois name, there's a few Belgian French Fry places in Manhattan that stock all kinds of Belgian Beers, very interesting.

Nov 14, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
eek.gif

No, that's the American Budweiser.
I have the Czech can (with ingredients in German
confused.gif
)in front of me and it says
Zutaten: Brauwasser, malz, hopfen. Although with the recent floods, what constitutes Brauwasser is suspect
very_evil_smiley.gif

And Hoorgaarden classic girls beer? I drink it all the time, how dare you, you, you (bursts into tears).

Nov 14, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
you MUST give a try to the belgian beers
biggrin.gif
(yeah, i am belgian). a easy one to begin with is the Duvel.

Hey 00940, I was born in Belgium and lived there for the first 6 years of my life. I have to agree the beer there is the best. I was just there for 2 weeks over the summer and had many a great beer. Likewise, last year I was back for the Gents Festival and had many a Duvel at their Duvel tent.

My father was always a fan of Rodenbach and I have grown to love it also, but my personal favorite is a blonde Leffe.

Ah so much good beer, I wish I was back. But I will admit the Sam Adams here in Boston isn't bad either. Their summer ale was also a good beer much in the same vein as Hoegaarden.

Zin

Nov 14, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 40
Matt,

congratulations on turning 21 and welcome to the wonderful world of beer. trying different beers from around the world can be an interesting and fun -- in moderation, of course.

considering you already like Guinness, i'd skip the lagers and pilsners and go straight to the ales. ales are generally more flavorful. they're often sweeter (or more malty), have more of a fruity character, and can be nutty in flavor. basically, they're more complex.

check out other stouts. porters are much like stouts only lighter and less burnt-flavored.

try the Belgian beers -- particularly the monastic-type brews.

check out german hefe-weizen.

check out some IPA's.

and, when you're man enough (hehehe...), you can graduate to american barley wine. it will -- for beer -- put some hair on your chest.
tongue.gif

oh, and another tip: look at the alcohol percentage on the bottle. generally, higher alcohol means more flavor.

Nov 14, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 40
Matt, you lucky person! man are you going to have a great time next Octoberfest! Octoberfest in Daytona - man what a great time to be alive.

IF you can find it, RUGGLES beer. or try a lot of "black & tans".

otherwise mix guiness and piss water (michelobe, bud, old milwaukee, schaefer, etc).

daytona should have alot of bars with many different beers - on tap and bottled. just don't drive. get a room for the night for about $40 and walk around to all the dance clubs, nudie bars, bars, etc.

one word of caution - if you get violent when drunk - don't drink. ever. switch to wine if you have to. learn to drink responsibly. (me, i have to go on a bender every three months to quiet the demons in my head and cool the fires in my groin - but i stay home and do it.) and never drink during the week more than 2 beers. (europeans need not flame me - americans weren't weaned on beer.) save the drinking for saturdays.

be wary of peer pressure - screw your friends who want to get drunk all the time and get behind the wheel. learn to be your own man. friends never pay your rent. if your relationship is mature with your father, ask for his assistance. go out with him to a few good restaurants and enjoy the good life.

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 40
I'm not much of a beer guy but, I've always liked Killian's Irish Red. Only on tap. The bottled stuff is awful.

May I also recommend Bombay Gin, and Appleton Estates Rum (21 Year old). Hey that's an idea. Have some rum that was born in the same year you were!

Mount Gay Rum isn't bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back