Military Roll Call.
Jun 26, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #16 of 90
Navy. 1987-1996, 9 1/2 years. Aviation Electronics Technician. NAS North Island - ocean views, lived in Imperial Beach 2 blocks from the beach!

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #17 of 90
Singapore Armed Forces
1 year and 10 months from 2004-2006

Trainning: field engineering, heavy machinery driving course, camp guarding course

Unit: regimental police (the first line of defence that is supposed to patrol the perimeters of army camps to deter enemy commando infiltration)

Job Scope: dump the garbage, buy coffee for my superiors, open and close the main gate, look out for any surprise visit by officers so my comrades sleeping at 2pm wont get into deep ****, play playstation 2 games, pick up phone calls, read newspapers, spread rumours about tension btw officer A and officer B, play with the dog.

Best place of duty: my officer's office when he is absent. There is air con and internet.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #18 of 90
I was in Subic right when the party ended and they unbolted the place. Fond, fond memories. They seemed like they really, really hated to see us go
very_evil_smiley.gif

I guess they really expected us to guard and secure all the stuff left behind. I watched literally hundreds of millions of dollars worth of equipment get looted......but I had a great time and I didn't have to shoot anybody or get shot at.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #21 of 90
Army 1984-88 32D Station Technical Controller
Basic Training at Fort Jackson in South Carolina (in July - Sept
eek.gif
) and AIT at Fort Gordon in Augusta, Georgia.

Spent a year in Heidelberg, Germany on the Neckar River. Beautiful area where the young people played frisbee on the river bank naked. I was 19. Damn, that place was a lot of fun!!!!

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #24 of 90
Well in the Heliocopter corps, we always had jokes of the other aircraft and their CrewChiefs, such as the twin rotor CH-47s needing to wear their flight helmets to keep the red hydraulic fluids out of the hair.LOL
wink.gif

Those aircraft were notorious for seepage and outright leaking from their seemingly miles of exposed hydraulic lines due to the high frequency and low frequency vibrations to the superstructure from the twin rotors. Real maintenance hogs for their Chiefs, and we always rubbed it in... O.K. maybe it was an inside geeky type of humor...lol

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #25 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Navy: 1958-1979. Outstanding duty stations throughout.
Most gratifying: Long Beach Naval Shipyard.

My ship was just going into drydock in LBNS in 74. I had to show the Excorist for the crew then had mid watch on drydock fire watch. I still get chills about that. Our ship was too wide for other docks so we shared the carrier dock with the Kitty. It is incredible how big a carrier is when you stand at the bottom of the dock and look up. A floating city for 5,000 with an airport on top.

I was on duty when another ship had a horrible mishap. The crew needed a troop mover lifted to strip and re-grout the deck. It was 6ish in the evening. There was no work order but the sandcrabs lent a hand with a dock crane. While the transport was in the air, a cable rigging failed and killed one guy. He had less than two mos. left and had bought property and trailer in advance.

For those on ship, have you witnessed slingshooting your ship from the docks? Cables or ropes snap and clear a dock of equipment. I understand that is no longer allowed after some casualities.

I also had to do a salvage write-up of a Sperry Mk 23 gyro after a target practice tug was hit instead of the target. The round went thru the bridge, and lodged in the chief mess without exploding. Pretty crazy stuff when you mix machines and men.

I also volunteered to be a live payload on the DSRV when getting qualed for a 1 mile dive. Other than sub crews, not very many can say they have been a mile under water.

Braille

I'm sure we could get pretty raunchy about jokes but I was hoping to hear of the pride of our members and experiences they had on duty. You might start another thread. But if the members here have no objection, I will go with the concensus.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #27 of 90
There were two soldiers in the latrine...one Army and one Marine. When the Marine was done he went to the sink and began washing his hands. The Army guy, when finished, headed toward the door. Annoyed, the Marine says..."In the Marine Corp, they teach us to wash our hands after using the latrine." The Army guy turns and says...."Well, in the Army, they teach us not to piss on our hands!"

Sorry Jarheads...

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #28 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There were two soldiers in the latrine...one Army and one Marine. When the Marine was done he went to the sink and began washing his hands. The Army guy, when finished, headed toward the door. Annoyed, the Marine says..."In the Marine Corp, they teach us to wash our hands after using the latrine." The Army guy turns and says...."Well, in the Army, they teach us not to piss on our hands!"

Sorry Jarheads...

Didn't take long to get a concensus. Let the shots begin.

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #29 of 90
USAF 1982-1990
Aircraft Fuel Systems Repair (Recently featured on the "Dirty Jobs" show)

1st duty station, Minot ND.
(Why not Minot? Freezin's the reason)
Nothing up there at all but wheat fields, but super nice people and very friendly girls. (good for those cold winter nights) Had a good time, partied a lot.

2nd duty station, Hahn AB Germany.
Loved it there, good food nice scenery, great beer, fun driving, more friendly hot females.

3rd & final duty station, Blytheville AB, Arkansas.
HORRIBLE!
Hot, humid, hostile locals, nothing to do, no bars in town, dirty, ugly, set your watch back 40 years place.
Wanted to shoot myself to end the misery.
Definitely didn’t re-enlist after that!

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #30 of 90
[size=small]OK, [/size]
[size=small]Military Humor:[/size]

[size=small]If it’s called it a helicopter in the Air Force and a chopper in the Army, what do they call it in the Marines?

[/size]

[size=small](Point to the sky, jump up & down and holler) OOOH OOOH OOOH
tongue.gif
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back