Miles Davis Kind Of Blue Appreciation Thread
Dec 10, 2005 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

BANGPOD

1000+ Head-Fier
Head-fi'ers --

I am listening to So What off of the Sony SACD sampler...
It came with my Modwrighted 999ES when I bought it. :)
Today is the first time I have listened to this specific song.

This is by far my favorite song on the album, bar none.
John Coltrane's sax solo is just awesome, especially on SACD!
Besides the reverb, this sounds like it was recorded yesterday.
And, of course, the channel separation mostly in the percussion.

Conclusion: Kind Of Blue is the best jazz album I have ever heard.

SACD is such a good format, I hope it stays put in the future.
At its best, it lessens the gap between SACD and binaural CD's.

What do you guys think? This recording is phenomenal.

Dec 10, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 32
I have a remake of Kind of Blue on vinyl and I love it. I haven't heard the SACD version but I have heard a number of cd versions. The vinyl is superior imo. I probably listen to Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme more than any other single jazz album. Kind of Blue was probably the first jazz recording I purchased so it will always have special spot in my collection. That was about 2 years ago after I joined Head-Fi.

Dec 10, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 32
Kind of Blue is the ultimate "dream team" jazz album, with Davis, Bill Evans, John Coltrane, and Cannonball Adderly all present, among others. It's an album that many non-jazz fans tend to own, so hardcore jazz fans tend to be a little snobbish about it, if you know what I mean. This is not justified, though, because KoB is a great album and deserves all its fame! Highly recommended for any collection.

Dec 10, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 32
I also love the Blue Note session of the same combo, the equally famous Somethin' Else that is. Soundquality is on par with Kind of Blue, at least comparing the two vinyl 33.33 upm Classic Records vinyl reissues. Could you please post the playing times of the first three takes (So What, Freddie Freeloader, Blue in Green), as I am wondering if the SACD contains the corrected speed versions of these songs.

Dec 10, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB
I also love the Blue Note session of the same combo, the equally famous Somethin' Else that is. Soundquality is on par with Kind of Blue, at least comparing the two vinyl 33.33 upm Classic Records vinyl reissues. Could you please post the playing times of the first three takes (So What, Freddie Freeloader, Blue in Green), as I am wondering if the SACD contains the corrected speed versions of these songs.

I believe all versions of KoB from the last ten years or so include the corrected speed.

Dec 10, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
I believe all versions of KoB from the last ten years or so include the corrected speed.

Doc, et al --

Corrected speed? What of this? Please explain further.

Scott

Dec 10, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
Doc, et al --

Corrected speed? What of this? Please explain further.

Scott

About ten or fifteen years ago, the record company was preparing a rerelease of KoB, and discovered that the old side one on vinyl releases (and the equivalent songs in other formats - including the first CD versions) had been mastered at the wrong speed; it was about a quarter tone sharp or flat (can't remember which). Everything since (including the latest CD, SACD, and audiophile vinyl versions) has had the corrected speed.

If you have the old version, it's not something that you would really notice, unless you tried to play along with a sax or trumpet, etc...

Dec 10, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB
I also love the Blue Note session of the same combo, the equally famous Somethin' Else that is.

Not quite the same combo. Only Miles and Cannonball were repeats. The other members were Hank Jones, Art Blakey, and Sam Jones. Still its incredible stuff.

KoB was my first jazz album, and it does deserve every bit of the praise that it recieves. It is beautiful music, extremely melodic and passionate. Alot of its influence however is do to the compositional structures and the use of modes (alternate scales for soloing) that is lost on most listeners.

And while it is great album, I dont think its really heads and tails above of many other great jazz releases, even from the same band. Milestones and the Walking, Cookin, Relaxin, Steamin records are in the same ballpark as far as quality and melodicism, imo.

But, if you are reading this and thinking about getting into jazz, there is no better place to start. (Then move on to Interstellar Space
basshead.gif
)

Dec 10, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
Not quite the same combo. Only Miles and Cannonball were repeats. The other members were Hank Jones, Art Blakey, and Sam Jones. Still its incredible stuff.

Ooops. Of course you are right. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 32
A great achievement. Loving the modal stuff.

It would be on my top 5, no doubt. I don't care if it is not an "obscure" album that only a few people know. I'm glad it has the fame it deserves.

(Actually, Listening now the Complete Columbia Recordings Miles&Evans, with sessions from that period of time).
3000smile.gif

Dec 11, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 32
I've got a fifties vinyl press of this album from when my dad gave me all of his albums. The songs on Kind of Blue grabbed me far more than any of his other jazz albums. I bought another pressing for myself later and have the CD now as well. So I've got three copies.

And I'm still as captivated today as the first time I listened to it. Amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back