Miles Davis is my home boy! =P
Jun 7, 2005 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
After scoring on 1,000 or so records (yeah, I over-estimated
biggrin.gif
) I landed on a few hundred Miles Davis records. A lot of them were unopened. I was convinced by good ol' Todd from ToddTheVinylJunkie that the records should be opened - and I was hit by the most musical and amazing vinyl experience I have ever heard. I argued that they were too valuable - they are now even more valuable to me now that I've heard them!

I have listened to Miles Davis on and off before, but now that I'm not in classes, and now that I have started to get the hang of vinyl, I, for the first time, immensely enjoyed his material. I was able to soak it all in, and it's been a wonderful ride. So far, I have gone through the now-open B+tches Brew, and the now-opened "Kind of Blue". I went through an already-open "Tribute to Jack Johnson". I have virtually every Miles Davis live and studio recording, it appears (I have already filled three boxes with all his stuff!). While I hope to go through all of these records one day, I would like to know if any of you guys had a good place to start at. I have a pretty open mind and will try anything - but I'd love to hear the the more energetic and emotional jazz songs from him. Fusion would be great also. So far, I just want to steer away from his "sad and slow" music, which I have already heard on a few of his albums. I just don't have the balls for that stuff JUST yet
smily_headphones1.gif

If I could get some direction I'd be able to enjoy my turntable even more. It's so cool when you score on a very nice guy's collection, to discover a lot of nice and valuable things. Aside from the Miles Davis discoveries, I've received an un-opened and limited edition Bob Marley LP (a wailers LP that had a strange cover, which opened up like a lighter - hah) and an un-opened picture disc from The Talking Heads - "Speaking in Tongues".

Thanks in advance!
-Andrew

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 9
How about Sorcerer and, for something closer to Brew, Live-Evil? The sixties quintet is so much more rewarding to me than the original band with Coltrane and the interim group with Wynton Kelly.

You'll know you're sick when you start falling asleep to Nefertiti!

NGF

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 9
My favorite Miles album is Miles Smiles , its very solid bebop/hard-bop, the harmonies are a little untraditional, I'm not sure if this is starter material but its amazing, I love his solos on that record, its like a fine glass of wine that you just learn to love over time...

Jun 8, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 9
If you liked "Bitches Brew" and "Jack Johnson", then you should try "In a Silent Way".

Those three are arguably the greatest records from Miles' electric era.

Jun 8, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Bitches Brew is a brilliant piece of work.

If you're interested in more Jazz from that era try to get a hold of anything from the Count Basie orchestra, The Saints & Sinners, and Gene Krupa.

For a more modern Jazz vibe, try "The Antidote" by Ronnie Jordan. He also did the theme for the movie "Underworld".

-Bababooey

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
add "Miles in the Sky" (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:j8jeeai14xs7) to your list. It was a transitional album from 1968. It will creep up on you, and then never leave you.

I listened to this one recently - Tony Williams just plays the meanest kit EVER - being a drummer, of course, I really appreciate it.

It's a bit more involving than Miles Davis' other works - but I'm starting to love it.

Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks so much guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back