Mike's Haphazard Unprofessional High-End Headphone Impressions
May 23, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #16 of 16
Yep, I have to admit I show up back in head-fi-dom periodically, and I'm genuinely surprised at the excellent new offerings abound this time. The Susvara and SR1A paired with a top-notch speaker amp seem to be the rage. I have a high-end speaker setup, but I'm not sure transformer coupled tube amps (4 ohms / 8 ohms taps) are the optimal pairing for these headphones, versus OTL or SS. Or is that incorrect? And what's the preferred way to hook these into speaker taps? My 2ch setup runs Rogue Apollo Dark tube monoblocks (close to 300 Watts/ch, uses a dozen KT120) and Audio Research Reference 6 preamp.

Love the hell out of my georgep T2 though! Don't see that going anywhere.

Transformer coupled is completely fine. SS gets the power there more easily and is faster in general, but at the end of the day it's a matter of taste. I've had great experiences with those on KT120's such as the REF75. The only tubes I didn't like so much was lower-end KT88 setups which were kind of grainy.

The headphones come with a set of Requisite Audio bananas and the supplied adapter box will take any speaker wire setup (spades, bananas, bare wire).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back