Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Oct 2, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #481 of 1,849
Not certain what the actual prices will be for the adapter. It will be a premium product. If the adapter was like any random adapter in the market it would be cheap and non consequential but this adapter will make you guys a believer in what this cable does. It is crazy just this little adapter making a difference.

So far everything I tried with the adapter sounds enhanced. Going into direct using the 2.5mm without the adapter doesn't sound as good. I dont know if there is a product out in the market that can do that so that is why they are considering it. They are considering a 2.5mm female to 2.5mm male. 4.4mm female to 4.4 male. I hope they make a 2.5mm female to 4.4mm as that would serve dual purpose as well as the 2.5mm female to 3.5 single ended again serving dual purpose.

The idea with the same sized adapter there is to be used just to enhance your existing cables. Ya that is a crazy idea but that is exactly what a bit of this material does. I know some might say adding another aspect to the sound chain is not ideal. I get that but if you guys could only hear what this adapter does for my other cables.

They are making a way to get a bit of that Totem sound enhancing ability to you via adapter and if it didn't make an audible difference I dont think they would even bring up the idea. I believe they are just considering the idea so far. Will let you guys know if they end up going for it. We will see.

I would imagine if portable amps were used more often now a days they would consider making an interconnect using the material.

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #482 of 1,849
Not certain what the actual prices will be for the adapter. It will be a premium product. If the adapter was like any random adapter in the market it would be cheap and non consequential but this adapter will make you guys a believer in what this cable does. It is crazy just this little adapter making a difference.

So far everything I tried with the adapter sounds enhanced. Going into direct using the 2.5mm without the adapter doesn't sound as good. I dont know if there is a product out in the market that can do that so that is why they are considering it. They are considering a 2.5mm female to 2.5mm male. 4.4mm female to 4.4 male. I hope they make a 2.5mm female to 4.4mm as that would serve dual purpose as well as the 2.5mm female to 3.5 single ended again serving dual purpose.

The idea with the same sized adapter there is to be used just to enhance your existing cables. Ya that is a crazy idea but that is exactly what a bit of this material does. I know some might say adding another aspect to the sound chain is not ideal. I get that but if you guys could only hear what this adapter does for my other cables.

They are making a way to get a bit of that Totem sound enhancing ability to you via adapter and if it didn't make an audible difference I dont think they would even bring up the idea. I believe they are just considering the idea so far. Will let you guys know if they end up going for it. We will see.

I would imagine if portable amps were used more often now a days they would consider making an interconnect using the material.

I'd be in a pigtail adapter, would also be interested in rca to 3.5mm interconnect using the Totem cable

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #483 of 1,849
Thanks Dsnuts. It is not like their regular customer service. When is the holiday over?

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #485 of 1,849
Well the idea of graphene. I mean who would have thought a carbon based material would have an effect on sound. I can tell they did a crap ton of R n D just to figure this one out. The reaction I am getting from the other threads are.

For reals? One guy just came out and asked if Beryllium is next. I was expecting that one.

As you know when something new goes public. People will be in disbelief. I was told these cables sell for higher in China. They are proud of this one. The workmanship is like all of their cables. Very premium but as far as I know Penon is the first to bring out a cable with graphene in it so it does show innovation in the cable realm. I can see these cables leading to a line of cables with the use of graphene. A silver based one perhaps. How about one with palladium alloy. I suppose all in due time.
I read that graphene is a better electrical conductor than silver. super cool. I wonder if there's a way to make a pure carbon-based wire.

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #486 of 1,849
DSC07650.JPG
Finally got around to post my Totem review. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-totem.24688/

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #487 of 1,849
Anyway OSG is awesome in every way, it’s like listen without compression and Opus
Mia headstage became definitely stunning, bass is tighter with more details and even mids highs shine, It’s like I removed a veil and every kind of music sounds better!
AMAZING 🤩

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #489 of 1,849
any idea where the FiiO LC-RE Tri-Metallic slot in among the Penon cables reviewed here? I must have been looking at too many cables for Aliexpress to put in a recommendation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m wondering the same thing. Also DUNU’s Hulk and Blanche.
I’m looking for either a swappable plug cable or a nice cable with a 2.5mm plug plus a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter.
on that note, besides the Totem’s adapters, which aren’t sold separately, any recommendations for good adapters?
Thanks!

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #490 of 1,849
I’m wondering the same thing. Also DUNU’s Hulk and Blanche.
I’m looking for either a swappable plug cable or a nice cable with a 2.5mm plug plus a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter.
on that note, besides the Totem’s adapters, which aren’t sold separately, any recommendations for good adapters?
Thanks!
The fiio adapters using the furukawa wires sound really good. Great transparency for an affordable price. If form factor is a priority and you need absolute compactness check out dd hifi, though their adapters don't sound that great, with some dynamic compression. If you're on a really tight buget or just want something cheap that works well the fdbro adapters actually sound very decent and are about $5 on aliexpress, transparent enough for an adapter and good connector quality.

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #491 of 1,849
The fiio adapters using the furukawa wires sound really good. Great transparency for an affordable price. If form factor is a priority and you need absolute compactness check out dd hifi, though their adapters don't sound that great, with some dynamic compression. If you're on a really tight buget or just want something cheap that works well the fdbro adapters actually sound very decent and are about $5 on aliexpress, transparent enough for an adapter and good connector quality.

i must say i haven't really noticed any significant difference between the Fiio adapters and the ddhifi one. maybe a bit brigther on the Fiio. you are right the ddhifi one is great for the compact size though.

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #492 of 1,849
i must say i haven't really noticed any significant difference between the Fiio adapters and the ddhifi one. maybe a bit brigther on the Fiio. you are right the ddhifi one is great for the compact size though.
I noticed it switching back and fourth comparing it to other adapters, it's subtle though. I later had a friend measure it and it came in at 800mΩ which is the same resistance as a not good 1.2m iem cable, just based on that alone I feel is enough to discount it if you're hunting for transparency. The form factor is awesome though, I still use it when I want the convinience. Kind of liken it to Spotify vs tidal, one is great for convenience but not fidelity and the other vice versa.

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #493 of 1,849
Chinese holiday is over. Totem ordered.

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #494 of 1,849
Oct 5, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #495 of 1,849
Well, maybe someone went to the Penon office for holiday fun and took my Email order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back