Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Mar 7, 2020 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,818

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
This thread will be dedicated to cables that are above the magical $100 range in cables. As requested from the guys on the budget thread. Cables in the $100 plus range provides higher end materials and workmanship that bring a bit of the higher end flavor to cables, budget cables don't quite provide. Budget cables has the absolute best value but for guys that requires a bit more sonically/ aesthetically this thread is for you.

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 1,818
1583604807766.png

Crystal Copper 4 core Penon Fiery. RP $129. Wamth with clean dynamics, good depth, enhances mids and bass with a clean non colored treble.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 1,818
1583605848193.png
ISN SC4. 4 Cores of silver with a crystal copper inlay providing that detail from pure silver but with added note weight of crystal copper. Wider stage precision and retains what we love about bass. RP $109 It is more of a hybrid type cable providing enhancements of both silver and copper.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 1,818
@Dsnuts What do you think about Dunu cables? Do they sound as good as the ISN,Penon and EA ones or are their benefit only that they have that modular plug system?

Mar 7, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 1,818
1583608405852.png
DUW 02 cables. RP $80. Litz high purity crystal copper in silver coating. Excellent all rounder even though this cable could be in the budget category. Once you get one of the balanced adaptors it goes into the $100 category. Good detail and balancing, is more a hybrid cable good sound expansion. High quality all around. Yes this cable is worth getting if you want something that will last. Supple with no microphonics. Modular system is kick ass on these. Will have more dunu cables soon as I ordered the LUNA which comes with one of their higher end cables.

These are worth the price. They remind me a lot of the NiceCHK C4-1 cables I did a review on.

1583609143156.png
RP of $100ish on aliexpress. Both are SPC variety of cables. C4-1 has a touch more brightness enhancing the treble end but similar in what they do. I like the DUW 02 more for bass and mids but otherwise similar in execution and type of cable they are.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 1,818
1583615488629.png
Oalloy NiceHCK $99 cable #210. 6N UPOCC 4 core cable from NiceHCK. Spacious copper sound with excellent bass extension and fullness. It is a great cable for vocal lovers as well due to the mids having a bit of extra in the way of texture. Clean treble emphasis. Can be sub $100 on sale. Negative is the chin slider is useless. A bit on the flimsy side. Worth the money for certain however.

Mar 7, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 1,818
DSC07000.JPGIntroducing new to you and for me as well. Penon Leo plus.
  • 8 strands gold-silver-palladium alloy wire, hand knitting.
  • Carefully selected gold – silver palladium alloy wire as the basis, exquisite hand weaving.
  • The conductor shielding’s anti-oxidation effect, high-transparent and bright wire sheath.
  • Carbon fiber material plug and splitter
  • Gold-plated plug RP $290-$300 Depending on termination.
So what does part gold, part palladium alloy do for silver? I was recently looking on the reviews section and the some high end cables use palladium mixed with silver and surprisingly costs $1800. These don't. Based on silver so you know your getting the best detail possible for cables but add to that the widest stage possible using a cable. In fact was very surprising going from the Penon Fiery to the Leo plus. It wasn't a slight change in stage it was like a new earphone all together.

Widest stage. Extremely detailed and also adds texture to mids and bass. This one is clearly superior to any of the sub $200 cables I have used. Now we are getting more closer to the more expensive stuff that exists. I will be doing a full review for this one but for now. The Leo plus meshes extremely well with hybrids and for stage guys that want that stage. This is it. There is nothing I have heard that expands the sonics more than these cables. Will have much more on my review of them soon.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 1,818
1583606428493.png Electro Acousti AKA 175 cable RP$180. One of the best highly regarded cables on headfi 8 cores 4 pure silver 4 UPOCC copper. Excellent stage, detail, blacker space. Extension.
How do you find bass (punch) and sub-bass (rumble) on the Electro Acousti AKA 175 cable? Thinking of purchasing a top, all-rounder cable, or if recommending strong alternative.

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 1,818
Mar 13, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #13 of 1,818
How do you find bass (punch) and sub-bass (rumble) on the Electro Acousti AKA 175 cable? Thinking of purchasing a top, all-rounder cable, or if recommending strong alternative.

175 cable is a great all rounder. Very balanced presentation while adding stage, a blacker background and definition of overall sound. Pure copper varieties that Carlsan recommended adds more to the mids and bass end while retaining the stock treble emphasis. Hope this helps.

Mar 13, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 1,818
175 cable is a great all rounder. Very balanced presentation while adding stage, a blacker background and definition of overall sound. Pure copper varieties that Carlsan recommended adds more to the mids and bass end while retaining the stock treble emphasis. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your replies and help from forum comments; think I'm narrowing it down to:

CS Series (# ?) - UP-OCC COPPER Litz (8-core, blue coat) @ 165usd
(comments summarized deep detailed sub/bass, while preserving nice highs; not too bright)

MS Series (#175) - 1% gold + 99% pure silver + 7n OCC Litz (8-core, blue coat) @ 198usd
(comments summarized 'amazing' sound, blackness, clear, good sub/bass, detailed)

GS Series (#183) - 1% gold + 99% pure silver + pure silver electroplated gold (8-core) @ 225usd
(comments summarized 'amazing', deep soundstage, smooth, deeper sub/bass vs 175, detailed but not harsh... perhaps not as detailed as 175)
> Anyone have direct experience / feedback on this cable?

Target IEMs are for Westone W80s, so trying to think which would match well...
(thanks, I learn a lot from your comments :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back