MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Mar 14, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #1,186 of 2,609
They had the LPS at the winter NY area meet, but not for sale...

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #1,188 of 2,609
Hey hey hey,  

The prototype LPS has appeared a few places. We are debuting the production model, which is internally slightly different and has a different case.

Tomorrow there will be another email sent around (apologies for two emails so quickly) which will inform everyone that the LPS is now available to order on Urbanhifi.com and that the units will begin shipping next Tuesday. There will also be some codes to enter at checkout that should be of interest to everyone. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #1,189 of 2,609
Alright, well, after having spent some extended time with the microZOTL now, I thought I'd go ahead and update the thread here.

The treble I first reported as not necessarily "harsh" did get the best of me.  Shortly it became clear that in its stock configuration, I was not going to enjoy extended listening sessions.  I think the best adjective to describe the general sound signature might be "glassy".  But my tube rolling experiments have paid off.  Still using the stock switch mode power supply, I have found the combination of Raytheon 6SN7s and Mullard 12AT7 do enough to take the edge off.  Neither one nor the other on their own suffice, but together the combination is a big step forward.  The glare has given way to a slight warmth.  The forward hyper-detailed presentation has mellowed out, but micro details are still resolved.  And even soundstage seems to have expanded for a more "out of head" sound.  With this combo, listening to an album such as Sara Barelleis' Brave Enough Live from start to finish is not only possible, but enjoyable.  The sound is simply more engaging, non-fatiguing, warmer and fuller, and now has me bouncing around in my music library eager to hear how my favorite tracks sound through the system.

By the way, an interesting tube I acquired on the cheap, which I think some have taken a liking to in the Torp3, is the Amperex 7062.  This seems to be a very transparent tube with an even more expansive soundstage than I'm currently experiencing with my Raytheon/Mullard tube combo in the microZOTL.  However its transparency did allow the glassy signature - particularly in female vocals - to emerge once again, so I felt the need to revert back to the Mullard 12AT7s.  And that's interesting because it seems the stock Tung Sols are not the source, but rather the amp (and/or PSU) itself.  Nevertheless, once my linear power supply is put together, I fully intend to come back to the 7062s in anticipation of a different sound altogether.  Oh and speaking of stuff yet to come, I also decided to experiment with round plate VT-99s - in this case National Union - so a pair of socket adapters are also on the way.  I suspect the main "advantage" of the VT-99s is going to be gaining access to round plate tubes, such as the Tung Sols, at a lower price than the 6SN7 versions.  Other folks do seem to claim further sonic differences as well, though.  So we will see.

Fun stuff!

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,190 of 2,609
LTA LPS ordered! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,191 of 2,609
The Linear Power Supply is now available to order on Urbanhifi.com. Pictures and a product listing on the Linear Tube Audio website coming soon, I was late to my day job getting this out today.

Official announcement HERE. For those of you already owning a MicroZOTL2, check code portion of your email, as it will be slightly different.

Also, you know, check your spam folders and stuff.

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,193 of 2,609
  Does the special offer for mZOTL owners also apply for customers outside the U.S.?

Of course, though shipping is still shipping. I'd send an email to sales@urbanhifi.com asking about that. 

And if anyone should have gotten the already-an-owner email and did not, let us know and it'll be no problem sorting it out. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,194 of 2,609
Good news - thanks! I bought my mZOTL (via your official reseller?) in Vienna/Austria. I will contact him if he can pass that special offer on to me. On the other hand I feel curious if the LPS will yield a significant improvement over my current SBooster PSU.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #1,196 of 2,609
OK, placed the LPS order, curious to hear the changes...

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,197 of 2,609
I look forward to ordering the LPS. I'm curious why we have to let them know if we live in Japan (which I do). 

Everything else, including the MZ2 itself, seems to work perfectly well between the US and Japan, although I know the voltages are different. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #1,198 of 2,609
One of these days will try changing both sets of tubes, have only changed one at a time so far.

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #1,199 of 2,609
OK, I understand that my set-up is somewhat special and -as long as there is no alternative amp cover available- not easy to replicate. So if you feel that tube rolling info going beyond 6SN7 territory is not useful please tell me to stop. Otherwise... just wanted to share my impressions of the Siemens configuration, i.e., Siemens E81CC tri-mica drivers and 4 C3gS (Siemens and Valvo but absolutely identical construction). Listenening via my HD800 three things are absolutely striking:
1) Lots of detail which makes e.g. choir music highly enjoyable. I am able to discern much more voices than before. The sum of all those singers is very dense - not congested but rich and full. Instrument separation is top.
2) If the source material goes deep that tube/amp combo goes deep, too. And it has a lot of power. While listening to cello music last night some notes seemed to go into my ears and from there onwards down the spine. I never had this experience before. The bass is tight, fast and accurate. Those tubes do not act as a permanent loudness correction which adds oomph to any music but delivers when asked for. Works brilliantly for the whole spectrum from electronic to orchestral music.
3) Previously I found that the C3g tubes tend to be too bright. The current combination works much butter. There is still plenty of upper mids and treble but ithere is no harshness.

I have a pair of Amperex 7062 which I plan to test throughout the next days. I am also curious how warmer drivers will work with the C3gS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back