Microzotl w/HD 600's
Apr 19, 2002 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering if the Microzotl is a good match with HD600's??

Lextek
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 15
I've got the 580s, and they're the phones I use most with the ZOTL. I'm using the stock tubes at the moment. I'd say it's a good match, but I do find it a bit laid back sometimes. Guess it's time to start tube rolling......

Hopefully Hirsch'll pop in and offer his opinion, as I believe he wasn't a great fan of the combo until he rolled the tubes.

Apr 20, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 15
I believe the 600/580 will tend to have that laid back sound with most amps. It's just part of it's signature/design. Even with the Melos, it will sound a bit laid back. I haven't really found an amp that would make sound "forward". But that's why I prefer them over the Grados line. You can bring the sound forward a bit with a set of the cardas upgrade cable
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 20, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 15
Perhaps tubes+600s are TOO laid back?

HD600=laid back
+ tubes=laid back
-------------------------------
HD600+tubes=ultra laid back
wink.gif

Perhaps HD600+SS provides a better balance?

Apr 20, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 15
I do believe the 600 sounds better with tubes. I tried it with my supreme/cosmic and still prefer the different tube amps. May also relate to the type of music one prefers.

Apr 20, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 15
Another note: I am not completely convinced that I prefer the cardas upgrade sound to the stock cable. It's probably just me. But I'm keeping the cardas
rolleyes.gif
just to make sure. If I really wanted in my face, I'll use the Grados.

Apr 20, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #10 of 15
The HD-600 was a difficult headphone for me to find good tubes to use in the ZOTL. I'm not sure why, but the 6SN7GTB's ALL sounded too laid back to me (well, the ones I tried anyway...but that was probably about a dozen pairs). I had better luck with the 6SN7GTA (I've got some of these by GE that make a very nice tube for the ZOTL), but, as I've posted elsewhere, my favorite is the VT-231 (Sylvania, Ken-Rad, RCA). IMO those wake the ZOTL up, and seem have less of a high-end roll-off with the HD-600 than the other 6SN7 variants.

Apr 20, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 15
Sometimes I wish I owned a ZOTL just to benefit from Hirsch's experience. Talk about doing the legwork.

Apr 20, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 15
As for the cardas sound, overall, they seem to pull the image forward and upfront more. Maybe more than I wanted actually, as I now have to lower the volume a bit, compared to the stock. Some others might see this as being more "transparent" and "detailed". I don't feel that the Cardas are actually extending the highs or low any further than the 600 already is. This to me, is somewhat reminiscent of the Grado sound sound, but with a different ambience.

Upon trying on the SR325 (with comfy pad), for comparison, the soundstage is definitely alot more pronounced and upfront than with the 600/cardas, especially the mid and high.

This was done with both the zotl, melos, and supreme/cosmic. But do keep in mind that this is simply my taste and opinion. I really dislike overly extended highs and have a preference for a laid back and more relaxing soundstage ambience. This is also why I like tubes.

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 15
darkclouds,

That almost reads like a recommendation to me--one caveat, though. In my opinion, it's the upper midrange that falls too quiet on the HD600, causing the recessed vocals and "laid back" sound. If it's really the highs getting pushed forward, I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for either. The last thing I want is a Grado.

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 15
I may have mislead you with the "reminiscent of Grado" bit. The difference between the two are nite and day still.
If you thought that the vocals were recessed with the 600, then I would recommend that you give the Cardas a try. I'm listening to Diana Krall and her voice is definitely front and center over the instruments.
And the highs are denitely not harsh or overly extended. I think I mentioned the mids and highs are more pronounced than before and left out the lows because the 600 had always been fantastic at bringing out the low end.

Apr 20, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #15 of 15
I agree the Cardas adds a little to the vocal range. I think this is just what the HD600's needs. I would like to try two sets of HD600's, one with Cardas the other stock cable. Hook both up to a Max and just go back and forth. Maybe at the the Headroom World Tour? I knew there was a good use for two headphone jacks.

Lextek
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back