Microphonics
Nov 1, 2007 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

yojimbo

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I bought a pair of Ety 4ps around 5 or 6 years ago - after a lot of looking on this forum.

Their sound is superb but the big problem for me has always been the microphonic cable which meant that I could only ever enjoy them if I wasn't moving. Kind of defeats the purpose really so they've never really had the use that they should have.

I like the isolation of ear canal phones and I'm a bu**er for being fussy about sound quality - (as a kid I used to go bananas if my LPs had any scratches or dust on them).

I've recently started looking around for some quality replacements and my question is - do the likes of the Shure SE series phones have a similar microphonic problem or has it been sorted out?

Thanks folks
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 22
Shure has a patented technology for defeating IEM cable microphonics, but if you promise not to tell their attorneys, you can use that same technology with your etys.

Insert the IEM up-side down, wrap the cable around your ear.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure has a patented technology for defeating IEM cable microphonics, but if you promise not to tell their attorneys, you can use that same technology with your etys.

That not only works, it looks super-cool.
blink.gif

etysmile.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 22
You have had them for 5 years and haven't figured out a way to reduce or get rid of mircophonics?

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 22
Shirt clip reduces most of microphonics, but it can still be annoying sometimes when you're walking. Wearing them over the ear kills all microphonics, but it's very ugly. I'll probably try to recable them someday, but for the moment the shirt clip is enough.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shirt clip reduces most of microphonics, but it can still be annoying sometimes when you're walking. Wearing them over the ear kills all microphonics, but it's very ugly. I'll probably try to recable them someday, but for the moment the shirt clip is enough.

I wouldn't say it's ugly, but it is different from the hordes of in-ears and earbuds I see worn in cable-down configuration. I wear my Marshmallows upside down.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The key is to keep the cable from flopping around. i used both shirt clips on mine, spaced about 6 inches apart, and made a Shure-style cable slider out of a velcro band that's sold as a cable tie for computers. So i slide the velcro band up the cable, make a nice chin strap, tie down the cables with the 2 clips, microphonics aren't bad.

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #11 of 22
Got any left over duct tape since last terrorists' alert (sealing windows and doors...)? Tape those cable to your chest!

Kidding
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 22
What worked fine for me, was to take really small rubber band around the cables, I then put my head into the loop between the "Y" and the rubber band, and plug them in.

Works great.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 22
are they built for wearing over the ears? cus if the material isn't right, your bodily oils over the ear can actually harden the cable after prolonged usage. eventually it'll start flaking and cracking and your screwed.

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #15 of 22
Have your nipples pierced and lead the cables through the rings! The ultimate audiophile accessory...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back