microphonics in md33 and hj350 and canalphones in general
Feb 25, 2005 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

jirou

New Head-Fier
I was really looking foward to getting a pair of MD33s, but then I read about microphonics in canal phones. I've also read that MD33 has pretty bad microphonics. Which is really disappointing as I like to walk around and listen to music a lot. So what I want to know is, is there any way to dampen the microphonics, and what canal phones have the least microphonics? What causes microphonics and does a larger cable dampen it? I'm not really very interested in the Shures as I've heard they take longer than other earphones to take in and out. I would also like to ear from HJE50 owners and see what they think about the microphonics in those.
Heh, I'm beginning to tire of this..
wink.gif

Thanks for any help guys!

Feb 25, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 38
I have both the hje50 and the md33s and they're very much alike in pretty much every aspect. I don't feel that either of them have much or bad microphonics at all, though I'm not really as touchy as a real audiophile
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, all canalphones and headphones that isolate have microphonics to some extent I believe.
I think you'll be happy with the Sharp's.

Feb 25, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 38
I run my e2c and EX51 cable under my shirt and dont notice the microphonics. My MP3 player is stashed in my cargo pants pocket. I used scotch tape once and taped the cable to my chest (under my shirt). What buggs me more is the thump, thump, thump of my footsteps as I walk and even more as I jog.

Garrett

Feb 25, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 38
I find the microphonics for my HJE50 (and Sony EX71) negligible -- I don't notice it unless I'm deliberately looking out for it (like knocking the cables to see if I can hear anything). I wouldn't worry about it. Microphonics with the Ety ER4S is a different matter, but ever since I came across suggestions in this forum to loop the cable over my ears even that's no longer a serious problem (other than looking even weirder).

My bigger problem is with the behind-the-neck cable which often snags my collar (or is it supposed to be the other way round?) or becomes lopsided resulting in pulling on one earpiece, but I find that a problem with all assymetrical cables designed to go behind the neck.

Enjoy!

Feb 25, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by d0e
nice babe redshifter! cant stop look at her moves!

heh! you are getting sleeeeepy....

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 38
Hmmm... thanks for the replies! I suppose I'd have to deal with microphonics either way, but I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to keep the cable from hitting things... although it is pretty long(md33).
And what is this earhugger mod?

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 38
Get a mini clip and clip the cable on yr shirts

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 38
hello,

That was my first lesson here at headfi and it seems so long ago.

heh

The Sennhiesser USA rep confirmed to me on fri via phone that the new iem4 is the same as the sharp md33 and is also being provided by the same company that provides sharp with it as well.

And it will be the same thing with a 4 pole to three pole adapter and with the stupid neckcord.

If I were you, I would just pick up the sharps as the sennhiessers will more than likely cost more, yet in actually are the same thing.

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiniti029
can someone explain to me what microphonics is? <nub

Microphonics occurs when the cable of the canalphone is brushed or bumped against something and the subsequent noise is carried up to your ears. Basically, when the cable is touched, you'll "hear" it in your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back