Microphone static problems
Jun 9, 2017 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Keudn

New Head-Fier
I have a Electro-Voice N/D767a microphone and a isk UC200 XLR to usb preamp to connect it to my pc. The problem is I have static that slowly builds over a few seconds that is coming through on all my recordings and in teamspeak. If I make a percussive noise by clapping the static disappears and then slowly builds back up again. It doesn't show up in any program as microphone activity (teamspeak's microphone test option has no bar until I make noise, the static doesn't show up). This is what the static sounds like

I plugged everything into my laptop and it works perfectly fine. In fact it is much much louder and I don't have to crank the microphone levels way up and I can turn the gain and volume down on the UC200. On my PC I have to turn everything up to the max to get any usable volume levels. Removing the microphone and turning all the dials on the UC200 all the way down does not remove the static. I also tested a different USB cable. I am out of ideas, does anyone know the cause of this? I have used a program to increase the gain of the microphone when I had a different adapter before I bought the UC200 but I have since uninstalled it so I don't think that could be it. The software is called EqualizerAPO

Jun 10, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 4
If you don't have anything like AGC enabled you could probably try a powered USB hub and see if that clears some things up. Your PC's USB ports might be a noisy mess or there's a ground loop somewhere.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 4
If they are powered by the monitor it might but most of those hubs are passive. Not that I wouldn't suggest giving it a try since its in front of you. I'de just have a powered USB hub on hand because its useful, from using/troubleshooting for USB Audio devices and running hard drives or other USB devices that require a bit more oomph then a standard external hub can put out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back