Microphone for speech recording
Jan 5, 2008 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tangsta

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 1212m sound card and I would like to record a voice for a documentary. I would also like to use the microphone for communicating online. i want some suggestions to a decent mic that can record with decent sound quality. any suggestions? the mic doesnt have to be a computer mic or anything i dont mind

Jan 6, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 12
Don't know what your budget is. Some well-known broadcasting mics:

Electrovoice RE-20
Shure SM7B
Heil PR-30

Basically you want a directional mic with minimal proximity effect -- at least, that's conventional wisdom.

If you're using it in a quiet environment, then an omni condensor could sound good, too, and can be had quite cheap (Naiant MSH-1 for example, www.naiant.com). But it will be sensitive to even very distant noises (traffic, birds, etc.) and will require that you have phantom power for your mic pre. You might need a pop screen, too.

Jan 7, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 12
The 1212M doesn't have a built-in microphone preamplifier, and you'll need one to amplify the signal to an appropriate volume level (and in the case of condenser mics, to provide phantom power).

I'd suggest purchasing either a cheap mixer or a one-channel mic preamp. Some extreme budget recommendations:

Behringer Eurorack mixer
ART Tube MP mic preamplifier

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 12
That would work, too... It wouldn't be as versatile or sound as good as a mic pre into the 1212M, especially since USB microphones use their own internal A/D (usually with a max. rate of 16-bit/48 kHz due to the USB 1.1 limit), but it probably would be more than adequate for speech.

Check the Guitar Center / Musician's Friend websites for possible deals. I read a comparison of a few USB mics in either Recording or Mix magazine (can't remember which), and the Blue Snowball ($99) came out the winner. Granted, this was about a year ago when USB mics were still new technology.

One negative about USB microphones is that there's no way to monitor the direct signal; you won't hear yourself speaking.

Jan 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 12
I agree with avoiding the use of a usb mic, you'd be better off with a separate pre in terms of SQ, but that depends on how much you are thinking of spending. However USB is actually capable of 96/24, though I think digital encoding rates wouldn't be the weakest link in the use of a USB microphone, it's the noisy power supply that'll be the issue.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However USB is actually capable of 96/24, though I think digital encoding rates wouldn't be the weakest link in the use of a USB microphone...

That's right... The USB 1.1 limit is 24-bit/96 kHz, not 16/48. I was momentarily confused just because so many cheap USB audio interfaces and microphones tend to list that rate as the max.
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 12
I wouldn't spend much money on a mic unless it will be used for a profession. If you're just talking with friends/family online, and doing some audio documentaries for class, I imagine overall audio quality isn't a huge concern. You'll really only need the speech to be intelligible, which most "bud" style mics will do fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back