Microphone for live rec?
May 10, 2004 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mecano

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all!
I want to get a microphone for my MD recorders(MZR50 and MZR900) for live recordings.I want to spent about 150-170USD.However i don t have any experience with microphones....Can anyone familiar with live rec help me by suggesting some models?Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 6
It really depends on your instrument, and whether you will need phantom power or not. If your recorder supplies power to the Mic, then I would look at the Beta 57a or 58a from Shure if your instrument is vocals... otherwise, there are specific microphones that are designed and optimized for the output range of various instruments. Drum mics, string mics, piano mics, are common types but by no means the only categories. If you need phantom power then I would look at buying an outboard phantom power unit and look at unpowered mics anyway. I have had iffy experience with self powered microphones. Basically anything from the Beta series by Shure, or the upper price-bracket AKG's or Sennheisers, will work just fine. The Beta 87a is a FANTASTIC microphone. A little out of your price range new, but could easily be picked up on eBay for within your price bracket. Oh and dont forget a decent cable! As with hi-fi equipment, it's all about guage, and connector quality... steer clear of that $5 special at music shops... Neutrik connectors are really nice. Good Luck!

-Jeremy

May 10, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 6
If you want a stereo mike, I can highly recommend the Audio Technica At-822. I cost me around 230.00 from Marketek a few years back. It is is powered by a AA battery, and has a real nice, balanced sound. A friend of mine found a Sony field mike for about eighty dollars, looked about fifteen years old, but had a nice sound as well, though not as extended as the Audio Technica.

May 11, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 6
As mentioned, it depends on what you're recording. Look around for a used pair of Nakamichi 300s. They are quite good for the money and have interchangeable capsules. Very versatile for any need. As a longtime DeadHead/Phishhead taper type, these are extremely good for the money. You *might* find a pair for under $200. They are well worth the few extra bucks.

A well regarded microphone that is very small and easily powered by your MD recorder is made by Core Sounds. They are also very small and will record well at fairly high sound pressure. Check out the site. You can get info and then look for a used pair on DAT-Heads or elsewhere for around $125-150. Can't beat them at that price.

http://www.core-sound.com/

Your best bet is to go elsewhere than here for advice and info. As mentioned, DAT-Heads (was) a popular place for recording types. I haven't been there for a long time. There are also a few other sites as well as newsgroups. Please don't buy new if you really want to get the most for your money. There's lots of used gear out there. Good luck!

May 12, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the answers guys!I m planning to record live bands in clubs.I know the DAT-heads site from the time when i had a DAT recorder(a Sony non portable)some years ago.I ll check the core-sound site.
cool.gif

May 14, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 6
If you plan to be recording straight into a MD player, you should consider a mic preamp; it will make for a more natural and less harsh sound, especially if you get a tube preamp. I just bought a clip-on AT condenser mic for my saxophones and also got the ART Tube MP for $50 more, and second to liquifying the sound a tad it provides +48V phantom power too! You will need phantom power if you're not using a dynamic mic and recording straight into your MD player. Good pro-audio sites are www.musiciansfriend.com and www.wwbw.com , IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back