micro system
Aug 13, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 14
Aug 13, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Robert:

Define "mini"
smily_headphones1.gif
(seriously, how small/big do you want?)

What features do you want? (CD, radio, etc.)

What's your budget?

Aug 13, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 14
Sugden Bijou system! Not sure if it qualifies a "micro" system. To me it's quite small.
tongue.gif
Headphone out from the headmaster. For speakers, get a pair of ProAc Tablette or Response.

Aug 14, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 14
If I were buying a mini system, I think I'd have to give the Sugden a shot myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 14
I think the Sugden system costs well in excess of $1500. I've read that the CDP and power amp that's a part of the system is on the shoddier side, and not worth their price.

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 14
something like the teac ref 130 or yamaha mcre 250. I don't want to spend more than $400. I want fm and cd with headphone out

I saw the yamaha at best buy with seperate rotary bass and treble controls; a real rarity these days. It looked high quality but I didn't get a chance to audition it.
I abhor pre eq settings.

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by RobertR
something like the teac ref 130 or yamaha mcre 250. I don't want to spend more than $400. I want fm and cd with headphone out

If you only want to spend around $400 for the whole minisystem including the speakers, then I personally would buy the Denon DM-30 (older model is the DM-3). First, because it's one of the best amp/CD/tuner mini-combos on the market, but second because it clearly has the best speakers of any minisystem at this price point (Mission speakers with real wood enclosures). This tiny system is even listed as a Stereophile Recommended Component (the only true minisystem ever listed).

The TEAC and Yamaha Pianocraft systems are nice, but IMO the Denon is sturdier and sounds better.

The DM-30 sells for around $450 at full price, so you should be able to find one for around $375 or $400

Good Guys has it for $449 with no tax and free shipping:
http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...4&catky=643993

Wow! etronics.com has it for $308.88!
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...0s&SVBName=293

BTW, the DM-3 had preset EQs, but supposedly the DM-30 switched to separate bass, treble, and "super bass"
wink.gif
controls, as well as a "source direct" (flat) setting.

Aug 14, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 14
I've got the Denon UD-M30 (Australian Version of the DM-30).

biggrin.gif

Definitely a leader at this price point - it's even got a line level output for any headphone amplifiers you might want to use.

Aug 15, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 14
Robert:

An update -- you should *definitely* check out this NAD L40/PSB Alpha Mini system from Yawa:

http://www.yawaonline.com/nadl40cdplay3.html

The L40 is a refurb, but Yawa is NAD's "official" retailer for refurbs and B-stock, so you get a full factory warranty. The PSBs are new.

This system is WAY better than even the Denon system, and much, much better than any other minisystem on the market until you get to the level of the Linn Classik (which is over $1000). We own one and the sound you get is anything but "minisystem." The L40 is basically an NAD amp, NAD CD player, and NAD FM tuner rolled into one, rather than a minisystem that makes a lot of sacrifices for size/price. (It also has a great headphone jack
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Anyways, just wanted to point that out -- the retail on that system is around $800, but the deal above is only $489!

Aug 15, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 14
i just bought the phillips mc 70 micro system...it's really a great little system, with a 3 cd changer, tuner, tape, etc, and it looks great. cost me 200 clams. well worth it as far as im concerned. you can read about with this link from amazon, where i got it from:

http://<a onclick="mugicPopWin(this)...91-8999230</a>

Feb 10, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #13 of 14
HappymaN:

How much ($AU) did you get the UD-M30 for? Did it come with Mission speakers or Denon speakers?

When I went to buy the UDM30 in Australia it came with Denon SCM30 speakers. In this configuration I did not experience the kind of quality that deserves the rave reviews it receives in the UK/US (partnered with Mission designed speakers)

Substituting with a pair of bookshelfs like Tannoy Mercury mX2 or Monitor Audio Bronze B1 would raise it to that status.
But at that price ($AU1000) for a bedroom CD player/wakeup clock radio didn't make sense.

Feb 10, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #14 of 14
I bargained it down to $625. These days, you shouldn't pay much more than $600.

I got the Denon speakers. Though if you look closely, they use the same drivers and tweeters that the Mission speakers use. I don't use the speakers much at all (damn Head-Fi) though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back