Micro Amp or Supermacro 3
Mar 15, 2006 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GreatDane

Headphoneus Supremus
I could use some help deciding...which amp has the better crossfeed?

I would be using the amp with DT-880, which would drive/sound better with these headphones?

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
I could use some help deciding...which amp has the better crossfeed?

I would be using the amp with DT-880, which would drive/sound better with these headphones?

My Vote goes to Supermacro 3.

Why, I don't know. I've never owned one. But just by reading the review, and the technical data available. I say go with the Supermacro.
eggosmile.gif

I think it was the 8 AAA batteries over the 9V batteries that got me.

http://www.fixup.net/products/macro/details.htm

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 7
I don't know about crossfeed on Micro Amp; I don't have one.

Xin's crossfeed works ok. I don't use it too much.

SM3: tiny size, features, roll opams/buffers, on-board battery charging and power management. Xin is a cool guy. Lots of HeadFiers love it.

Micro Amp: To me if you ever decide to get a Micro DAC, then the two just go so well visually and they stack and strap together so well. I'm sure they are very complimentary to each other too. Lots of HeadFiers love it too.

Just do a search. There's mountains of info on both.

For me size was important. You can click on my link of my rig below. The Micro Amp is the same size as my Micro DAC. You can compare side by side Xin's and HeadRoom's. When I first saw a pic here on HeadFi of the two together I was sold on Xin's.

I'm sure both will be fine for your DT880s (i think?, i'm an iem guy).
etysmile.gif

Sorry I don't have more info on crossfeed. But I'm sure a search will provide much info for you.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks guys. I've changed my mind so many times by now...ugh.

There are strong points for each portable amp choice as you've mentioned(charging the batts, DAC options, etc.).

I think my plan will be to buy a Micro Amp for most of my portable needs and later buy a Xin Supermini to use with my ZVM & E4 for ultra portability.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 7
GreatDane, you are making a great choice. I am in love with my Micro and love the crossfeed function. It has really been a blessing when listening to some of my older recordings. The build quality is amazing, the housing is almost bulletproof and the sounds is scintillating. Best of luck to you.

If you plan to buy the Xin later anyhow, why not go for the desktop module in your Micro for now? You'll get much less battery life, but the sound rivals may desktop setups.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 7
vo328,

After experiencing the Meier crossfeed (I use a Corda Cross-1 w/ a WA3) I've made the crossfeed a must have for my next amp(s).

I look forward to listening to the Micro and its crossfeed. And yes I will be getting the desktop module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back