Michael Jackson Dead
Jun 26, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #107 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I say that despite the fact that I never really considered myself, at the time, a particurlarly big fan of his post-Jackson Five career. And yet, when I think back over the decades, I am amazed at how much of a presence Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad have in my memories and in my musical consciousness. And yeah, I've got a copy of Thriller, on vinyl. Two copies actually, because you had to have the picture disc (remember those?).

Thinking of him now, I recall a time before the Internet when stardom and celebrity required talent, not merely the willingness to do anything and everything in public. Today we are left with crass "superstars" who have his shortcomings, but none of the talent and musical joy that he brought to the world.

May he rest in peace.

His obituary from The New York Times.

Amen!

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #108 of 213
I think a lot of the younger members don't appreciate the cultural phenemenon that Michael Jackson was. Having been born in 1972, Michael hit it big when I was just becoming more aware of music. He might have even been the last big music star - the market is far too fractured today. There are extremely talented people today, but they don't have the same appeal across generations and class. I don't think anyone will be able to do that again.

For the younger people here, Michael Jackson has always been there and has always been weird or worse. At first, however, he came across as clean, polished and very nice. Quirky, for sure, but likeable. Even my grandparents sort of liked him.

So, for a lot of us, Micheal Jackson wasn't terribly different from Elvis and all the other major stars of the past. Maybe you had to be there to understand it.

If anything, the controversy was depressing. You didn't want to see that happen to someone you liked. I'll withhold further comment, however, I spent a few years representing abused children and also being assigned as a public defender to registered sex offenders. To say I have strong opinions on the topic puts it mildly.

Michael's descent was a sad thing - I always hoped he'd end up with his own theater in Vegas or something. What happened is such a shame.

For those not terribly familiar with Michael's music, try "Off the Wall" and "Thriller." if you wan some context, compare them to music from that era or earlier. You'll realize that it was a different sound and, hopefully, be able to put it in its correct context.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #111 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Due to the fact Michael Jackson is 99% plastic, he will be melted down to Legos so kids can play with him for a change.

Seriously, are those comments really necessary? I am sure you are really proud being smart ass.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #112 of 213
If you take just four songs:

ABC
I'll Be There
Don't Stop
Beat It

Shows a remarkable artistic achievement that few have even come close to.

nuff said in a music oriented discussion forum.

Not to mention that Off the wall is s seriously high quality recording
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #113 of 213
I had a longer post in a different thread, but maybe his death will separate the controversy from the music. Maybe now the person can fade away and let the music remain. For those of you who aren't listening, give him a try. Everything about Michael is a bit sad, but the music isn't.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #114 of 213
Michael Jackson was and always will be The King of Pop. I'm extremely saddened by what's transpired. He died of a broken heart. Alone and betrayed by the world that once loved him so. But he will always be loved. Now he can rest in peace. Away from the media and allegations that humanity has put him through. Rest in Peace my brother. May God Bless. You truly are a legend.

I may only be 21 but since young I've heard his songs on my car stereo and watched his videos on television and have always been amazed by his electrifying performances and moon walk.

I remember waking up with "beat it" playing on the radio and walked out seeing my mum with her hands clasped over her mouth as Larry King spoke to Quincy Jones about the death of MJ. Gosh, what a terrible day....

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #117 of 213
[size=x-large]THE JACKO IS DEAD![/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was hoping that MJ would bring his tour back to the US for one last tour because I'd have pay anything to experience a MJ concert. I am really sorry to hear of his passing....as they say, way too young. I will be spinning his "Thriller" SACD tonight.

I hope your pain is finally over, MJ. RIP.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #119 of 213
I was shocked when I read it in the news 10 minutes ago.
I wasn't a big fan but he sure was a great singer and an even better performer.
May he rest in peace.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #120 of 213
When I first heard about it, I was pretty much in denial for the first couple of hours. I loved his music the moment I heard my dad playing it ages ago. Can't believe someone like him really is gone. Reminds me much of Tupac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back