Michael Bean (Hennyo) stole my money
May 22, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #76 of 92
In my view, there's been some good suggestions on actions the OP can take. But, I especially like the contribution by HeadphoneAddict. I mean, if I can't forgo buying super premium ice-cream in the month of June, for a most valued member, maybe I shouldn't be buying ice-cream in the first place. This is action that WE can take.

Despite it being Haagen-Dazs "Dulce de Leche," I'd still give it up for our member. Ok, only a month...
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

May 23, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #78 of 92
The cogs of justice turn, but they don't turn that quickly. What did you expect? That Agent Mulder and Scully would be knocking on Hennyo's door already?

Whatever happens, Hennyo's already made his own karma. He's effectively in hiding from here (so that the IP address he's using can't be recorded.) And if he's here, he's using another ISP and another handle. If he's dumb enough to have read this post under a new handle, than that could be tracked too (locate new users who have read this post in the past two weeks with an IP originating near Salt Lake City, UT) unless he has found some means to masquerade his IP address.

It really doesn't matter what happens now. TruBrew learned a hard lesson. And Hennyo's loserish actions begot him a loserish situation which is likely to beget him even more loserish situations in the future. Karmic payback is a bitch. The only interesting outcome would be if Hennyo has the internal strength and courage to return the money, thus reducing his karmic restitution payment from x10 to x1. However that outcome seems extremely doubtful as his messages to TruBrew indicate that he's extremely confused to what course of actions would actually make him (Hennyo) happier in the long run.

May 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #80 of 92
Yes, it was well said. What happens to Hennyo is out of my hands. I am going to take a step back, and stop posting in this thread. I am trying to put the situation behind me as best I can, and talking about it on a regular basis is not going to help. I hope the thread does not die away, as new people need to know about those that can not be trusted. Once again, thank you all for the support.

May 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #81 of 92
I think someone already suggested it, we can give a little donation to get TruBrew to get his money back? If yes, I'm willing to donate a little for his loss.

May 24, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #82 of 92
Head-Fi is a rare place, where someone can leave 10k worth of gear on a table at a meet and not worry about it.

That guy gave me bad vibes from the start. Interrupting every thread to say the T50RP is better than TOTL gear, and proclaiming himself at the front of T50RP development. Seemed a tad sociopathic. From forums I've visited HF seems to get hit the least by scammers but with much higher individual losses. A guy on a computer tech forum posted a thousand times a month, proclaiming to be some rich guy who liked trying out new gear. He did a bunch of small trades to get his marketplace rep up and made claims that he traded expensive equipment frequently. When he got enough people to trust him he did several large trades at once and walked away without sending anything. He was banned but came back later under a new account. He tried the same techniques and when he started posting on the marketplace I had him banned. With the amount of posting he did his hourly wage was low from his thefts but I guess some people just enjoy the process.

May 24, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #83 of 92
this sounds horrible... well... my HTC Sensation was stolen last week, which is about the same value...
frown.gif
but I didn't give it much thought since the chance of retrieving it is close to zero, because I didn't instal any tracking app. understanding that, i then know putting any more time or energy into it is worse than a waste due to opportunity cost... so I just put the whole thing behind me, and got a replacement phone...

sometimes you just have to weigh it.. and see if the effort you put in the is worth the money, satisfaction and the opportunity cost (the things that you could've done with the time and energy). i do believe that this is getting too personal after his last e-mail which basicly is an insult, but if you become angry or irritated by it... ultimately you lose more, because increased stress will make your health deteriate and your work suffer. this logic applies to many things that you are going to face further down the road with this problem, and just remember to weigh the situation (even your emotional ones... ) before you decide what to do..

May 24, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #84 of 92
Quote:
Head-Fi is a rare place, where someone can leave 10k worth of gear on a table at a meet and not worry about it.
That guy gave me bad vibes from the start. Interrupting every thread to say the T50RP is better than TOTL gear, and proclaiming himself at the front of T50RP development. Seemed a tad sociopathic. From forums I've visited HF seems to get hit the least by scammers but with much higher individual losses. A guy on a computer tech forum posted a thousand times a month, proclaiming to be some rich guy who liked trying out new gear. He did a bunch of small trades to get his marketplace rep up and made claims that he traded expensive equipment frequently. When he got enough people to trust him he did several large trades at once and walked away without sending anything. He was banned but came back later under a new account. He tried the same techniques and when he started posting on the marketplace I had him banned. With the amount of posting he did his hourly wage was low from his thefts but I guess some people just enjoy the process.

This is just speculation on my part, but I think for *some* people it's easier to defraud others online. I don't just mean easier to pull off, but also easier from a moral standpoint. You've got that impersonal buffer of distance and technology.

May 24, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #85 of 92
Quote:
This is just speculation on my part, but I think for *some* people it's easier to defraud others online. I don't just mean easier to pull off, but also easier from a moral standpoint. You've got that impersonal buffer of distance and technology.

I'd argue that there were just as many conmen before the tech existed as there are now.  The only thing that's changed is the nature of the con.  I don't know if distance and tech contribute to moral laxity, so much as they facilitate con artists by increasing the number of potential victims available to be conned, simply by virtue of the higher level of communication made possible by technology.

May 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #86 of 92
I don't know if there's statistics out there with fraud, but while I wouldn't argue that there is more fraud being perpetrated per capita (without data indicating this is the case), I would argue that someone who might not have the brazenness to rip people off in person would be able to disassociate themselves from the humanity of the victims when committing online fraud (and to a lesser extend fraud over telephone.)  

May 24, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #87 of 92
The KGSSHv is "fixable" fortunately, but it demands unplugging the boards and rewiring and resoldering all over again.
It will take some time.
Hard lesson learned.
I was willing to send the amp for someone to fix (paying of course), but as it seems nobody wants to get in this mess.
Regards,
Erico

Andrew,
Hope you can get the 500 back.

Regards,
Erico  

May 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #88 of 92
Quote:
I don't know if there's statistics out there with fraud, but while I wouldn't argue that there is more fraud being perpetrated per capita (without data indicating this is the case), I would argue that someone who might not have the brazenness to rip people off in person would be able to disassociate themselves from the humanity of the victims when committing online fraud (and to a lesser extend fraud over telephone.)  

Exactly.

Some people likely feel technology provides a certain level of anonymity. Looking at the correspondence between Hennyo and TruBrew you get that sense (his saying "you have nothing to go on" and "you can't find me" and so on...). When people feel anonymous behind their computer monitors, it may empower them to do things they would otherwise not do if they were out in the open.

I wasn't trying to make a statement about conartistry as a whole, but rather individual psychology.

May 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #89 of 92
Quote:
The KGSSHv is "fixable" fortunately, but it demands unplugging the boards and rewiring and resoldering all over again.
It will take some time.
Hard lesson learned.
I was willing to send the amp for someone to fix (paying of course), but as it seems nobody wants to get in this mess.
Regards,
Erico

Andrew,
Hope you can get the 500 back.

Regards,
Erico  

Sorry to hear about what happened to you, Erico.  At least you will have your BHSE soon, and that'll make you forget about the KGSSHV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back