Michael Bean (Hennyo) stole my money
May 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #61 of 92
This is a terrible story, I feel ill by it.  There is an honor system we all should have between each other, especially in such a small closed audiophile community such as this.  I wish there was something I can do, but be thankful it was only a $500 loss my friend. I've heard of far worse than this, hell I've experienced a much more severe loss just 2 years ago.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/516713/lost-almost-all-my-gear-in-a-fire-salutes-my-journey   I lost damned near EVERYTHING I owned that day included thousands of dollars worth of audio equipment.  I had to restart from square one.

This person is a coward.  Simple as that.  Any REAL MAN would have given you the parts that were already acquired and refunded the rest with a smile. Instead, this sissy took the funds and ran.  What I enjoyed most about his rant was the business aspect he rubbed off on you.  I would consider that worthy of an F rating by the BBB, a nice big fat stamp on the forehead of his service that says "Shady money grubber".  
Karma is a %itch, sir.  It will come back and bite him, it always bites those who deserve it.  NEVER send gift payments to anyone for pre orders.  On a $500 charge, the fee is only $15.20 or something like that and its $15 worth of buyers protection.  Paypal is really good with helping out when you speak in a calm manner and ask for a manager.  But, again...Gift function is not protected and shouldn't really be used unless you are okay with potentially loosing your money to someone like that.

May 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #62 of 92
Quote:
This is a terrible story, I feel ill by it.  There is an honor system we all should have between each other, especially in such a small closed audiophile community such as this.  I wish there was something I can do, but be thankful it was only a $500 loss my friend. I've heard of far worse than this, hell I've experienced a much more severe loss just 2 years ago.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/516713/lost-almost-all-my-gear-in-a-fire-salutes-my-journey   I lost damned near EVERYTHING I owned that day included thousands of dollars worth of audio equipment.  I had to restart from square one.

This person is a coward.  Simple as that.  Any REAL MAN would have given you the parts that were already acquired and refunded the rest with a smile. Instead, this sissy took the funds and ran.  What I enjoyed most about his rant was the business aspect he rubbed off on you.  I would consider that worthy of an F rating by the BBB, a nice big fat stamp on the forehead of his service that says "Shady money grubber".  
Karma is a %itch, sir.  It will come back and bite him, it always bites those who deserve it.  NEVER send gift payments to anyone for pre orders.  On a $500 charge, the fee is only $15.20 or something like that and its $15 worth of buyers protection.  Paypal is really good with helping out when you speak in a calm manner and ask for a manager.  But, again...Gift function is not protected and shouldn't really be used unless you are okay with potentially loosing your money to someone like that.

Speaking of gifts - we've had 61 replies in this thread so we should have enough people, where maybe if only 50 people would chip in $10 each we could gift it to TruBrew to get him his $500 back? Thoughts?

May 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #63 of 92
Even if Paypal won't follow through, there are redundancies one can use to protect oneself.  When you go out into the Wild, it's best to wear layers.  Thankfully, Hennyo's been on my ignore list for awhile but so has half the forum. >.<  

Sorry for the OP but if you have the stamina, time and resources keep after him.  Letting it go only encourages the behavior and sets up the next victim.  Hound him all the way to small claims court and use the police dept's cyber crimes division.  Should be cake for them to give you the data to file a claim.  A no show in court and he looses by default and gets wages garnished and now has a public record that any future employer could use against him.  Don't be the student, be the teacher and make this kid learn a few things about being a scum bag.  Clicking 'gift' doesn't forfeit your rights, it only let's paypal and the public believe they can stop working for you.

May 17, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #64 of 92
Question, did he ask for you to pay via gift?  As I read back on the original message he sent, he implies you paid via gift.  This product and services were paid out as a gift function.  This idiot literally dug himself into trouble with paypal by typing that reply.  Call Paypal and ask for a manager due to an ongoing issue with a fraudulent seller, odds are good they will ask you to post or email his replies to them, send Paypal his email and let them know he made it seem like you were supposed to pay with Paypal Gift, and that this seller considers his product SOLD via gift function.  I have little doubts Paypal will not refund you for this, this is what I can easily call misleading the buyer.  You paid for a service with Gift, the seller considers it payment with a gift, this is not allowed through Paypal.

Once paypal clears that up, send him a link to this thread and post any replies he shoots back at you.  Here at Head Fi, we stick together :)

May 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #65 of 92
Quote:

Bravo!  Well done.  This should be the OP's first step.  I agree Paypal will likely resolve it and he'll be none the worse for where.  They might wag a finger and give a tsk tsk for next time.  

May 17, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #66 of 92
Yea...Hennyo isn't really the brightest street lamp on the road, is he?  Lol.  Seems like the situation will be quickly resolved once Paypal understands the buyer accepted his payment for a goods/service under the Gift option.  I've no doubt you will get a full refund.  Its literally against the rules to accept payment for anything via Gift option.  If you get your money back, I am super curious to know what he will think when he rereads his email to you that says something along the lines of "bring it".  

SWBF2CHEATER STRIKES AGAIN !!  

May 17, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #67 of 92
It's really bad that I thought immediately of the RAM thing when I clicked into this thread...I remember when these kinds of "scams" (and I put it in quotes because I don't think these guys wake up in the morning and think "wow, I'm gonna go rip someone off!" - I think it gets to that point when they realize they can't deliver the goods) were extremely rare too. :frowning2:

People acting so crazy.

And I agree with Anax's posts to a degree; I'd take swbf2's advice and try to wring it out through PayPal (it's lots of fun when they just yoink the money with no warning; really gets that "you have just been violated" feeling across) first though.

May 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #69 of 92
@OP:

If indeed Hennyo did state in no uncertain terms that he would return the money to you, then do (EDIT: it appears that Hennyo did offer you a refund in 3-5 days) you have recourse. Make your case very simple and straightforward (that is without the tangents in this thread). Retain the following evidence: 1) The e-mail (or PM) which indicated that he would return the money to you; 2) and the PM where he essentially stated "hahaha, eff you, sorry sucker! you ain't gonna catch me" (that PM is pretty darn damning.)

What Hennyo did is interstate Internet fraud (wire fraud), let the FBI handle it. This is out of the jurisdiction of local government. Get your $500 back. Do not settle for parts. Do not settle for time. He said he would return the money and he didn't - with excuses and attitude on why he wasn't going to. Again, this is fraud in the eyes of law enforcement.

To start, file a compliant at IC3/FBI: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

I believe a friend or two of mine may have sent you Hennyo's parents address or other information. You may also want to request from Head-Fi Hennyo's IP address(es) and e-mail (I don't know what internal policies Head-Fi has - and they can always refuse.) If you can't get this information, don't sweat it, the FBI will eventually. This information should be given to the FBI.

You may also want to contact your local FBI office (in person):
no.jpg
  FBI New Orleans
2901 Leon C. Simon Boulevard
New Orleans, LA 70126
Phone: (504) 816-3000
Fax: (504) 816-3306
E-mail: Neworleans@ic.fbi.gov

Since the amount is $500, it's not going be a high priority, but trust me, a field agent at the Salt Lake City Field Office will eventually be paying him a visit, considering that you already have information to work with (which is rare in most fraud cases.)

After you file a complaint with IC3 and/or the FBI. Send a copy of the complaint to Paypal and state that you were defrauded by this person. Also state that this person encouraged you to use "gift". Make Hennyo's life as painful as possible with only a little effort on your part.

May 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #70 of 92
Thanks a bunch. I was starting to feel like the Local police route would not get much accomplished. That sounds like the way to go.

May 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #72 of 92
Hope this turns out well.

May 22, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #73 of 92
Quote:

Speaking of gifts - we've had 61 replies in this thread so we should have enough people, where maybe if only 50 people would chip in $10 each we could gift it to TruBrew to get him his $500 back? Thoughts?

Let's see how it plays out. We're a community and in that spirit, if all else fails, let's do it!
beerchug.gif

May 22, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #75 of 92
Well the deposit is only forfeitable if it was expressly made know to you that the money would be forfeited when deciding not to go through with the purchase, otherwise, it is theft.

That's how it works in Australia anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back